84 gn ecm to what?

XcessiveBoost

SpeedFreak
i know for sy's and ty's a turbo sunfire ecm will work in the trucks if you change the chip... what will swap for my car?

87 GN ECM would probably make the most sense, and offer more in the way of chips. You'd need: 87 ECM, MAT sensor, 87 MAF.

Do a search in the hotair section on "87 cm" and you should find plenty. I will try to find an old post of mine where we documented a lot of it, and even took pics.

coil and module converter/coil base adapter

you might need these things too

You only need that stuff if you choose to swap to an 87 coilpack/ module. Mine ran fine converted to 87 ECM, MAF, and MAT without any change to the coil pack and/or module.

coil module

86/87 coil pack does fit,but it is a lot smaller than 84/85.I think it looks like crap!

One thing to consider if your hot air coil pack goes out, instead of paying BIG bucks you can use the 87 coil pack which can be picked up for MUCH, MUCH cheaper. And I don't remember them being that much different cosmetically. ;)

There is no need to upgrade the 84/85 coil pack until it fails. Casper Electronics (Poston is a reseller) makes an adapter which allow you to plug in the 86/87 coil pack into the 84/85 wiring harness. Cost for the adapter is around $60. This is alot cheaper than finding an 84/85 coil pack and they do look fine. Brad

BRAD_PADGETT said:
There is no need to upgrade the 84/85 coil pack until it fails. Casper Electronics (Poston is a reseller) makes an adapter which allow you to plug in the 86/87 coil pack into the 84/85 wiring harness. Cost for the adapter is around $60. This is alot cheaper than finding an 84/85 coil pack and they do look fine. Brad

Actually
The Casper's adapter is for the 87 igniton module. Allows you to use the 87 ignition module instead of the 85.
Accel sells the 87 coil with an adapter plate for the 85 ignition coil.
The 87 coil will work on the 85 ignition module..

SLOW_85 said:
......... Accel sells the 87 coil with an adapter plate for the 85 ignition coil. The 87 coil will work on the 85 ignition module..
Hey Slow,
Any more info on the adapter plate?
Is this an adapter plate that mounts the 87 coil to the 85 module?

Attachments

• adapter.JPG
    adapter.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 59
  • gasket.JPG
    gasket.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 63