83 Riviera T-Type heater core leak

83RIVIERATTYPE

Hello to all, my name is Adam and I recently purchased a 1983 Riviera T-Type with a working turbo for $900Cdn. I have been slowly repairing it. My last repair was a new rad. Now that the rad is fixed the heater core has developed a leak. I have a Buick shop manual from 1981 (I used to own a 1981 Regal) and so far it has been a great resource. To replace the $50Cdn heater core I have torn most of my dash apart. The only things left are the dash pad , front cluster support bracket, heating ducts, and the AC heater assembly. The 1981 manual briefly explains how to remove the AC heater assembly. I am ok with most of it but a few items confuse me. How do I remove the defrost duct and where are the three nuts holding the AC heater assembly to dash panel? Any help will be appreciated as the antifreeze is a real pain to wipe off the inside of the windshield and it really smells bad.

Adam
Port Perry, Ontario, Canada

Attachments

• hc.jpg
    hc.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 127
It was bothering me so much I went into the garage and took another look at everything. I managed to remove the entire dash and the heating ducts. I am left with the AC heater assembly to remove.

Adam

AC/Heater unit

Adam,

I don't know if this will help as I haven't had this problem with my 85 Riv T Type. However, in looking at the diagram it looks like you need to find the heater's resistor unit--there should be some wiring going to it and it should be accessible on the firewall. Once you've removed that, it looks like you will have access to remove the AC/heater nuts.

Phil Cooley