82 El Camino Project

Take a look at the intake you have and make sure you have those passeges. The 83 is a little different than the earlier ones.

Take a look at the intake you have and make sure you have those passeges. The 83 is a little different than the earlier ones.
they all have 4 cross overs. the 83 intake only has one port for the egr stuff. (center of the port)
How do they block them off are there custom gaskets to do that?
i will have to send you a email when i find the pictures of how i blocked mine off.

Attachments

• SDC10018.jpg
    SDC10018.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 158
  • SDC10024.jpg
    SDC10024.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 153
Easy ways to block those off are tap the holes in each head and put a npt pipe plug in it, if the heads are off do that on both sides of the heat passage so it's block in the port too or just pour some melted aluminum down the hole.

Easy ways to block those off are tap the holes in each head and put a npt pipe plug in it, if the heads are off do that on both sides of the heat passage so it's block in the port too or just pour some melted aluminum down the hole.

I agree totally here. This is the best way and you can blend the port better as well.:biggrin:

Ok WOW u guys really pile on the work. I got some painting done today and cleaned some ring grooves. I'll check into some npt plugs next week what kind would be best carbon or galvanized? Valves are out,new valves and rodsand mains will be here monday and an rv cam.I guess I should start looking at all the wiring connections. Ill post pics tommorrow

:):)ok today was cleaning pistons andsome mock up to see what paint looks like,need to buy some new bolts for intake and exhaust was thinking about allen head cap screws but dont have clearance on the intake

Attachments

• IMGP5482.jpg
    IMGP5482.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMGP5485.jpg
    IMGP5485.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMGP5486.jpg
    IMGP5486.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 127
2 things I can point out here is the factory manifolds have a tendancy to crack in certain places. The joint between #3 and #5 and the joint on the passengers side on #2 and the log. Take the heat sheild off the drivers side and check it before you have to take it back off so you can save some time. Have someone weld a brace in between 3 and 5 wihch will keep it from cracking again. I don't know of a good way to keep the passenger side from cracking though.

Ironic you mention that I was going to ask about wrapping them in exhaust tape since I have some and was thinking I would have to cut that off to do the drivers side.then tac it back on. I was unaware of a cracking problem. Were do they crack at the tube and the flange?

Update

OK here it is crossovers with 1/4" NT lugs installed, final cleaning then assembly , need cam bearings got clevite 77s for mains and rods. What will this cam be like? I just ordered a rv cam from the local arts store not knowing anything about turbos

Attachments

• DSCF0024.jpg
    DSCF0024.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF0023.jpg
    DSCF0023.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCF0022.jpg
    DSCF0022.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 106
Nice update. I agree with Charlie that RV cam looks good with a little more duration and lift on the exhaust. Heads look good too, I did notice on them next to the center intake bolt is one more heat riser passage. Not sure if you were planning on blocking them all off or not.
Keep on with it! good to see more projects being built.

Nice update. I agree with Charlie that RV cam looks good with a little more duration and lift on the exhaust. Heads look good too, I did notice on them next to the center intake bolt is one more heat riser passage. Not sure if you were planning on blocking them all off or not.
Keep on with it! good to see more projects being built.

i think that's for the egr stuff. i know on the 83 intake one side is already blocked off.

Ironic you mention that I was going to ask about wrapping them in exhaust tape since I have some and was thinking I would have to cut that off to do the drivers side.then tac it back on. I was unaware of a cracking problem. Were do they crack at the tube and the flange?
Have wrap on my motor recently blew the radiator hose and it blew antifreeze on the drivers manifold and it soaked up in the wrap . When the hood was opened it went up like Napom. The stuff works great but having seconf thoughts.