82 El Camino Project

motohead9

I am new to the sight and am about to ask a lot of simple questions for you guys. Know nothing about turbos and am going to build one. My son and I are going to install a draw through 4 barrell. system. It's a 1982 El Camino 3.8 v6
Th 350c lock up converter
So my first question is were does the oil supply line get its supply from?
Are there any Factory service manuals available?
What carbuerator would be a good replacement for the stock one?
Should we use a catylitic converter or not?
Does this setup need a computer?
What are recomended gauges?
Is running E 85 better for a turbo?
Will a Grand National hood fit on an El Camino?
Any Ideas or ways to build this car are very welcome.

Thanks Eric :)

Attachments

• IMGP5410.jpg
    IMGP5410.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 457
  • IMGP5411.jpg
    IMGP5411.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 458
  • IMGP5412.jpg
    IMGP5412.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 659
  • IMGP5413.jpg
    IMGP5413.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,062
Hate to say it but first you need to pull the engine and add some forged pistons at the very least. There are quite a few controls you can add to the system and if everything is now working with the CCC system then you're ahead of the game.

Do a little reading first on www.beforeblack.net and Rich's site will help you understand more about the way the system works.

I would disagree on the pistons. Plenty of NA long blocks being run succesfully with SFI systems. I'm confident they can handle a carb/turbo set up. Key is to keep the knocking (detonation) down.

You have an 82/83 turbo set up there. It will bolt right in place and connect to your stock ECM for the most part. It will be missing will be the knock sensor and the 2 bar MAP sensor.

Not easy, but I would get a wiring harness and ECM from an '83 Turbo Regal. Then replace the MAP sensor and add the knock sensor. You'll have to drill the hole for the knock sensor on the back of the motor. There should already be a boss for it.

You'll also need the passenger side exhaust manifold, the up and down pipes, air cleaner, etc. You might want to find a '82/83 parts car. You're looking at a good amount of parts and work.

Oil supply comes from adding a T between the oil pressure switch and timing cover.

Start by getting a 1982 Buick Regal shop manual off ebay.

I am new to the sight and am about to ask a lot of simple questions for you guys. Know nothing about turbos and am going to build one. My son and I are going to install a draw through 4 barrell. system. It's a 1982 El Camino 3.8 v6
Th 350c lock up converter
Are there any Factory service manuals available?
Should we use a catylitic converter or not?
Does this setup need a computer?
What are recomended gauges?
Is running E 85 better for a turbo?
Will a Grand National hood fit on an El Camino?
Any Ideas or ways to build this car are very welcome.

Thanks Eric :)

it comes from a t where the oil pressure sending unit is.
i just sold a non ccc a while back, you can find a stock non ccc turbo carb off someone here. or a holley i know everyone is going to say no, but there are a few people that have holley spreadbores (converted to be used on a drawthru).

Thanks I am really excited to get started. I do have all the down pipes and headers,I'll post more pics. So my next mission is to get the oil line dealt with. My brother in law just gave me a quadrajet to use. Trying to get the tranny to shift right might need a new lockup converter?

Thanks I am really excited to get started. I do have all the down pipes and headers,I'll post more pics. So my next mission is to get the oil line dealt with. My brother in law just gave me a quadrajet to use. Trying to get the tranny to shift right might need a new lockup converter?

the q-jet for this setup is specially designed for drawthru. a regular qjet will not work.

I would change the intake and mainifolds, get a MSD BTM, and run good gas. As long as you dont get too power hungry your bottom end should stay together.

Then if you do blow the bottom end, you can put good stuff in it down the road and spread the time out.

I wouldn't run a cat, guages are anything you want, Id go with a boost guage and an oil press guage for sure though. A GN hood wont fit. But you can get an EL Camino SS cowl from lauren engineering. Ive got one for my Cutlass and looks pretty good.

Hurst Olds, Cutlass, Hood Scoop El Camino, Monte Carlo, Regal, Cutlass, Malibu, Hurst Olds, Grand National

Definitely not power hungry, just want get back on the road for now. Ill post some pics later.Yea thanks for the hood info I was thinkin about dressing it up with Buick stuff with the turbo bump. Will the turbo setup fit under my Camino? I think Ill go with the choo choo skirts and SS stripes. What kind of th350 do you have? I think my lockup convertor is bad.

Todays progress

Pulled motor and tranny today

Attachments

• IMGP5420.jpg
    IMGP5420.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 345
  • IMGP5419.jpg
    IMGP5419.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 316
  • IMGP5418.jpg
    IMGP5418.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 324
  • IMGP5417.jpg
    IMGP5417.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 337
  • IMGP5414.jpg
    IMGP5414.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 337
You have an 82/83 turbo set up there. It will bolt right in place and connect to your stock ECM for the most part. It will be missing will be the knock sensor and the 2 bar MAP sensor.

Not easy, but I would get a wiring harness and ECM from an '83 Turbo Regal. Then replace the MAP sensor and add the knock sensor. You'll have to drill the hole for the knock sensor on the back of the motor. There should already be a boss for it.

More thoughts about what I said before. With the motor out, drilling for the knock sensor will be much easier. You have an 83 Turbo Regal set up there and it looks fairly complete.

You won't necessarily need the wiring harness from the '83 TR. They started using the knock sensor on non-turbo 3.8's sometime after 1982. If you could get a harness from one of those with the sensor, spark control module and ECM, it would be well worth it. They only thing left to deal with would be the MAP sensor. You might still need a 83 ECM for that to work right.

The set up might fit under the hood. It will be close, but you might be able to get away with just removing some of the hood liner. They used the same set up in 1981 on the Monte Carlo and it did not have a hole in the hood. You might want to find the hood scoop it had.
BEFORE BLACK - Turbo monte Carlo Page 2

What kind of aftermarket carbs heas anyone tried on a draw through 4 barrel ? What about an E 85 carb?

The catch isn't the carbs, it's the controls. If you can find all the parts to use the 78-79 system then you can substitute a Holley spread bore but unless you can find the parts you're stuck with an E4ME carb.

Motor on stand

Well motor is out of car and on stand. Limited budget andnot exactly sure where to start. Motor ran good when pulled.If I was smarter I would have done a compression check before getting pulling it. Oh well I'm sure its good,well it had a broken engine mount what kind should I get, rubber,urethane, or solid?

Don't get the solid ones. The block may be damaged if you go to WOT. The HR mounts work well but if you do a little esearch you can put a carrage bolt in the stock mount and make it mmore like a HR mount. Cheap and easy.

OK Charlie we got problems I dont know the what WOT or HR means. I wasn't thinkng to much about the solid mounts have been looking in Summitt racing and was leaning towards the urethane type. I want this to be an everyday driver,

WOT means wide open throttle and Hr is HR parts&stuff. I believe he's a vendor on here and Paul Ferry (owner) has posted some good info and has some good parts for most of our cars.

This is what I did and recommend.

For most street cars/daily drivers, upgrading the drivers side along with a GM passenger mount in very good condition will work fine.

HRpartsNstuff

Click Products, Motor Mounts and then 78-87 G Body 3.8.