800hp 2004r?

rickyracer01

OK so here's the deal. my tranny went on my 87 GN and I'm sending it to get a full rebuild. now my question is my tranny guy is asking what my power goals are. as of now i'm not sure but he gave me a few difference prices depending how far i want to go.. lets say i go all the way and have it setup for 800hp +. even if my power range is from 400-500hp will it be to much tranny for my setup or is it ok to be on the safe side?

I always over build, so if there is a problem you can't be told it's your fault because you put to much power to the unit over what the warranty states.

Also you will have room to grow if you so choose in the future to go to say 750 hp from the 4/500 you state that you have now or is your present goal.

You will be getting stronger parts at the 700 hp level that you won't be getting at the stock or mild performance level, and shouldn't affect how it shifts, just how much more power it will handle if built right.

The choice is yours, but if you have any concerns about what to do I would contact David Husek at
Dave Husek's Turbo Buick Performance he will answer any questions and be straight with you about what you need or Lonnie at extreme automatics as they both build top notch 2004r.

I always over build, so if there is a problem you can't be told it's your fault because you put to much power to the unit over what the warranty states.[/SIZE]

Also you will have room to grow if you so choose in the future to go to say 750 hp from the 4/500 you state that you have now or is your present goal.

You will be getting stronger parts at the 700 hp level that you won't be getting at the stock or mild performance level, and shouldn't affect how it shifts, just how much more power it will handle if built right.

The choice is yours, but if you have any concerns about what to do I would contact David Husek at
Dave Husek's Turbo Buick Performance he will answer any questions and be straight with you about what you need or Lonnie at extreme automatics as they both build top notch 2004r.

Everything he said ^^^^^^^ X1

It's better to build for the 10's and run in the 11's, than it is to build for the 11's and try for 10's.;)

Better over build if you can afford to do so. My first rebuild was a mild one with just a shift kit and new converter. That didn't last 1000 miles. Currenly my converter, trans, and driveshaft are rated for 700-800hp. Even though I'm only making mid 400rwhp right now, it's nice to know there is room to grow safely.

Better over build if you can afford to do so. My first rebuild was a mild one with just a shift kit and new converter. That didn't last 1000 miles. Currenly my converter, trans, and driveshaft are rated for 700-800hp. Even though I'm only making mid 400rwhp right now, it's nice to know there is room to grow safely.

Same boat here. Everything in my 200 except the hardened OD planet and carrier. Going strong for 50+k miles now with lots of street abuse and at least 150 if not 200 passes without a hiccup. I changed the fluid @ 30k.

Only thing you really don't have to upgrade is the output shaft until you get to that 800hp range or are making some high boost trans brake launches. Some people get lucky and have no issues. I know I've had mine out 7 times now. 2 toasted converters (1 vig, 1 PTC), 1 bad valve body, 1 bad pump seal. Besides the output shaft, everything else is now hardened. Would have been 150% cheaper to just have gotten all the good stuff in the first place. Gotta learn somehow right? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Make sure that tranny guy has a lot of experience with the 200, if not as soon as you start to get into it with all that 400hp, 2nd gear will be toast and your tranny will be coming back out. My trans handled everything that I threw at it in 1st gear. I bet I did 60+ 10 to 20psi 60ft. launches, second gear was a different story. 4 teardowns and I still cant get it right yet so, I will send it out this year to an above mentioned guru.

sounds good guys. I'm using a local shop out here in Miami called tranny tech. was told by a few people if i can't send the tranny to extreme automatics or CK performance that he would be the next best shop. one member on here has had work done by him and running 800hp + with no issues. 2 other GN owners out here have used the same shop with no issues... gave me a quote of $1400. he gave me a list of parts that will be changed just don't remember what he said.

Last edited:
sounds good guys. I'm using a local shop out here in Miami called tranny tech. was told by a few people if i can't send the tranny to extreme automatics or CK performance that he would be the next best shop. one member on here has had work done by him and running 800hp + with no issues. 2 other GN owners out here have used the same shop with no issues... gave me a quote of $1400. he gave me a list of parts that will be changed just don't remember what he said.

$1400 seems inexpensive if you are getting a billet forward drum. Hard to know without knowing what this builder plans to install. Maybe find the list.

rag231 I sent you a pm

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

What are your goals with this trans?

1,400.00 is about the price of a mild performance stock rebuild.

I would get a qoute with all parts to be used to make sure you're getting what you want.

Paying the money on a rebuild and not knowing what you're getting for your money is well,, you know the old saying .

A fool and his money will be soon parted.

I hope that's not the case, and I would like to see what you get for 1,400.00 to compare to what others give us for the same monies spent.

$1400 seems inexpensive if you are getting a billet forward drum. Hard to know without knowing what this builder plans to install. Maybe find the list.

rag231 I sent you a pm

Damn I'm a slow typist, you posted that while I was typing and saying the same thing as you.

My problem is I'm long winded sometimes. I'll try to keep it pithy in the future. NOT!

I've been practicing with all the texting I seem to do. Funny, I always thought that texting was stupid but now I rarely actually make a call on the phone. Now I text and post on tb.com

I've been practicing with all the texting I seem to do. Funny, I always thought that texting was stupid but now I rarely actually make a call on the phone. Now I text and post on tb.com

I still prefer to talk to people, texting and words on a screen are no replacement for actual conversation.

Typed words can be misconstrued by the reader and doesn't convey the actual feelings of the writer unless they go out of there way to do so.

I'm old school, just ask the dirt in my back yard!

P.S. The time it took me to type this was over three minutes and I could have spoke it in less than 30seconds.