78 turbo regal tranny swap

mattmittenz516

The Reeg
Ok so this weekend im swapping my sliiping tranny in my 78.turbo sport coupe for a beefed up 200r4...now what exactly will i need and what do i need,to do????

You are going to need a new crossmember for the 200-4R. The '78 frame is missing one of the attachment points for the factory 1983-87 200-4R crossmember. There are aftermarket crossmembers and then there are weld in & bolt in kits to add the attachment point.

do not use av8 stall convertor the stall will be to low . myconvertor is about 12 to1500 is actually a 2100 out of a v8 so it does not stall correct on a v6 it is less than the 2100rating on a v8

Which one of those cross members will work? And if i get the right cross member i dont need to.bolt or weld in anything?

I didn't put that link in my post. It's some auto ad thing.

Take a look here and 1/3 of the way down. "TH350 - TH400, 4 inch tail - 200-4R - Powerglide - Muncie 4 Speed "" in 78-88 G-Body " You don't need a double hump crossmember, but it may help explain the mount thing I'm talking about.
G Body Crossmembers for GM cars, G Body, G Body Crossmember, G body, crossmember, 700R4 Gforce Crossmember, A, F, G Body Cars from PATC

#32XM is what you would want, but really you just need the "Frame extension kit" and a stock G-body 200-4R crossmember.

There are probably other options. Try searching the transmission section.

The TH350 has a detent and a vaccum modualator. Both have to do with shifting but in different situations. If you hit the gas the cable shifts it and if you're light on the gas then the modualator shifts it.

So then the 200r4 will not need any fabrications to shift? It just wont have any vacuum lines hooked up, and only the cable? Am i on the right path?

Lol unfortunatlt im going to use a v8 stall converter its all i got n its free and i nees a tranny bad car accelerates likes its walking

Can i just drill new holes for the 200r4 crossmember to fit n not have to get extension kit?? Also will i have to cut driveshaft? Or will it fit?

DSCN0001.JPG
DSCN0002.JPG

This should make it a little clearer but my welding skills suck. LOL The first pic is of the driver side of the frame for a turbo 350 and the second is the extra pad I added to the frame for the 2004R crossmember. As you can see it's quite a bit further back than the original one and there's really no way to adapt the different corssmember by drilling holes in the frame.

So i have the crossmember and extension kit now, is that all i need? Can i just put in tranny n go? What else will i need donr