78 regal performance

mattmittenz516

The Reeg
Whats up everyone im matt im new here im a broke 23 yr old my dream car is a national...i just bought a 78 turbo regal and im in love its my new dream, i was wondering if any of u vets could give some performance and upgrade tips for her what should i start with? Can i add an intercooler? Also she needs a new carb, whats a good pedformance carb u would recomend

Whats up everyone im matt im new here im a broke 23 yr old my dream car is a national...i just bought a 78 turbo regal and im in love its my new dream, i was wondering if any of u vets could give some performance and upgrade tips for her what should i start with? Can i add an intercooler? Also she needs a new carb, whats a good pedformance carb u would recomend

first off you cant put a intercooler.here is a site that should help with some upgrades Before Black Racing
i suggest you start with alky and a adjustable wastegate. these setups have been proven to run in the high elevens. their use to be a guy aj here that knew alot but he left. i am for sure charlie will be on later to give more advice. i would listen to him he knows alot about the drawthru setup. if you are on facebook you can join our before black group their is not alot of people that talk their but we list parts on their all the time. if you stay long enough on the board you will learn alot. as for carbs no one really agrees on one. i know mike swears that the holley is the best and i think charlie is all for the qjet but i may be wrong. :confused: sorry charlie if i got that wrong. i would post some pics of the motor and the car then we all can get a better idea.

Alky will def help as will the wastegate just as mat231v6 said. Airfilter and exhaust mods wont cost much and should make a noticable improvment performance wise. When you start tinkering just dont get greedy with the boost if you start to crank it up, there is a point where you will make it angry and it will blow a headgasket or worse. Post some pics,Im not familiar with that vintage but all turbocharged engines respond to the same mods more or less. Happy boosting!!!

Reg2.jpgReg.jpg100MEDIReg3.jpgReg4.jpg

I had a 78 NA Regal, moonroof, plush interior, was a real nice car. Got my first and last speeding ticket with it 24 yrs ago (67 in a 35).

Welcome to the board. There's quite a few things that you can do as mentioned. The Q-jet works fine if you know what you're doing. I'm waiting on another guy that's into the old 301 TTA's and we will be doing a complete overhaul and mod on a Q-jet that will be posted on this and the 301 Garage forum. You can also use the Holley carb with the proper mods done to it for boosted application. I'd also suggest that you do some reading over at BEFORE BLACK Website. Rich's site is full of info that should help you figure out how things work. He also has a DIY alky injection set up that works so you can save some time looking one up.

Our cars are called hot air because there's no way to add and intercooler to them. The air fuel mixture is before the turbo so if you try and cool it down you end up with fuel drop out issues which can make a big bang if you're not careful. You can use alky or a mixture of E-85 and super unleaded to reduce the detonations issues though. You can't use more than a 30% mixture though. Figure 4 gallons of E-85 to 10 gallons of 93 octane. If you want to use straight E-85 then you have to use a modified holley made for alky.

One other thing you might want to invest in is some of the MSD stuff. A 6A ignition box and a BTM unit can keep you out of trouble and give you better ignition. You can also get an audible knock detector which tells you if you have any detonation problems. This can keep you from blowing a head gasket as fast, but won't prevent it 100%.

Welcome to the board. There's quite a few things that you can do as mentioned. The Q-jet works fine if you know what you're doing. I'm waiting on another guy that's into the old 301 TTA's and we will be doing a complete overhaul and mod on a Q-jet that will be posted on this and the 301 Garage forum. You can also use the Holley carb with the proper mods done to it for boosted application. I'd also suggest that you do some reading over at BEFORE BLACK Website. Rich's site is full of info that should help you figure out how things work. He also has a DIY alky injection set up that works so you can save some time looking one up.

Our cars are called hot air because there's no way to add and intercooler to them. The air fuel mixture is before the turbo so if you try and cool it down you end up with fuel drop out issues which can make a big bang if you're not careful. You can use alky or a mixture of E-85 and super unleaded to reduce the detonations issues though. You can't use more than a 30% mixture though. Figure 4 gallons of E-85 to 10 gallons of 93 octane. If you want to use straight E-85 then you have to use a modified holley made for alky.

One other thing you might want to invest in is some of the MSD stuff. A 6A ignition box and a BTM unit can keep you out of trouble and give you better ignition. You can also get an audible knock detector which tells you if you have any detonation problems. This can keep you from blowing a head gasket as fast, but won't prevent it 100%.

rich's site does have a better write up on alky. i still have to try the e85 mix myself.
the c16 cost too much. lol

There are no after market intakes for the early cars unfortunately.

I did have a chat with one of the HA guys today and he's gonna see about throwing one of the stock intakes on the flow bench and see what they do. If I can get mine finished up in the next week he's gonna throw it on the bench at the same time to see if there's any improvement with what I've done to it.:biggrin:

Which holley pump and what mods must I make also I have a beefed up 200r4 that was with my old oldsmobile 350 motor will it bolt up to the turbo6

yes it will but you will need a crossmember and the frame has no provisions for that crossmember. THe 350 will work just fine. Looks like a good car to start with. I'd get some basic mods done first and concentrate on making the car look good and do the suspension first.

Not a Holley pump but a Holley carb. Right now everything is working ok and you just need a little work. Don't worry about a different carb right now. If you want to look at what it takes to run one you need a Holley spread bore boost referenced carb.

If you think there's a problem with the carb I'd find someone that knows quadrajets in your area. When they are working good they're the best in my opinion.

Shoot thats a drag too i can feel her tranny slipping and i have a beefed up 200r4 lying around, it will bolt up but u said theres no crossmember for my car

Well she has a two barrell with a busted choke
convert it over to a 4bbl. i have some mods for the q jet on my site. soon charlie is going to do a thread tho. as for the intake you can port it but its alot of work. i ported mine and i dont think it was worth it. if you have a alum welder then it would be ok.

k&n air filter improved exhaust ported turbine housing headers maybe a edelbrock intake and a 4 barrel that will take boost ported heads the more things you do yourself and the more second hand parts you can pick up the better :D

try to look and see if you can find an aftermarket crossmember for that trans to bolt up in that year of car. You will need a 4bbl plenum to use a 4bbl carb and they are specific, can't use just any carb. Take your time and read up. Don't cobble up the car either because it will end up screwed. Take your time and do things right