70mm p-trim or s366 turbo choice

20psiofevil

Which turbo would you run on my engine?

The s366 is modern aero design.
Wheel Dimensions:
  • Compressor: 66 mm inducer / 91.4mm exducer, with exclusive Extended Tip Technology.
  • Turbine: 80 mm inducer / 73 mm exducer. Cast in Inconel 713 for high-temperature operation..88 ar turbine housing
The 70mm is old school tech.
Cold Side:
Compressor Wheel 70mm
.70 a/r
4” Inlet and 2.5” Compressor Outlet
Inducer- 70.15mm
Exducer- 94mm
Exhaust Side:
Exhaust Housing T-4 Flanged
Available in 2 A/R sizes - .68 or .96
3.0" Vband outlet
Inducer- 64.5mm
Exducer-
360 degree Thrust Bearing

260 ci motor, 218/224 cam, and spins to 6200rpm. Converter is decent with a 5300rpm flash @ 550rwhp. Trans-brake, 28" qtp, and 373 gear she is set up for 1/8th mile racing. Leaning toward the 70mm for the simple fact I believe the p-trim coupled with the .68 ar would spool faster in foot brake classes and make the same power as the s366 would. Any input would be great.

pictured is 96 ar vs 68 ar and borg 91 divided far left. The 68 ar is comparable to the 3 bolt 63 precision.

Attachments

• IMG_20160503_115313768_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160503_115313768_HDR.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 228
I ran a 70 P for years and loved it also so did Brian Lorenz.it got to the point of low 10s and that was all she rode for both of us until we changed to the HP71 we were stuck no matter what boost level we were at.if low 10s is your goal great turbo spools fast

Which turbo would you run on my engine?
................................ Converter is decent with a 5300rpm flash @ 550rwhp. Trans-brake, 28" qtp, and 373 gear she is set up for 1/8th mile racing. Leaning toward the 70mm for the simple fact I believe the p-trim coupled with the .68 ar would spool faster in foot brake classes and make the same power as the s366 would. Any input would be great.

Since I am an "old-school" type, I fully agree with your combo above with the .68 housing.:)

For many years I have used a HPQ-70 BB with a .68 housing running in competition with a .4ths PRO light, and have no issue leaving the line with the big-block V-8's!

If you have a set of well-ported alum heads, you should be a killer in the 1/8 mile at 20 psi or so, and only need first and second gear for a run.

Bobbie, Brian and I are charter members of the "Old Guys Rule" club!;)

Old Guys Rule.jpg

That little S366 is a bad ass turbo. Could make in the 800+ crank HP range. Not sure about the 70mm p-trim. I would be interested to see a back to back on them.

The 366 is a wicked little turbo once it's spooled. To be honest I miss my part throttle boost response. I'm going to swap on the 70mm to see if I can get some of that back. imo the s366 turbine and ar is what prevents it from building part throttle boost.

I want a turbo that acts like this... Full throttle/boost on
Not like this...Full throttle/Here I come/boost on
And it's got to be able to make 650rwhp.

What about the 64-66 CEA dbb rated at 900 and spools really fast.... You get part throttle boost.. I love mine...

70mm for the simple fact I believe the p-trim coupled with the .68 ar would spool faster in foot brake classes
swap that on and see,i already know whats going to happen and I think you do as well;).oversizing the exhaust wheel and housing is the quickest way to slowing down.i have seen 70ptrim run 9 sec passes in a buick.I only have bw experience on the v8 stuff and they make a lot of power,haven't used it on the v6 but the 70 ptrim is old school but the old cast stuff still can run real fast.i personally like the billet wheel comp wheels better,they spool faster,make more power with less size,take a real beating.what you could do is send the turbo back to bw and swap to a smaller ex wheel and housing.

.i personally like the billet wheel comp wheels better,they spool faster,make more power with less size,take a real beating.what you could do is send the turbo back to bw and swap to a smaller ex wheel and housing.
The Borg warner efr series is all the latest and greatest billet/BB stuff..

I've thought about swapping the bw to the 68mm turbine but have to think is it really worth it. If I go swapping to a tial housing and different turbine I'm in to this unit for almost what a pte dbb goes for. I bought the 70mm at a swap meet brand new for pennies on the dollar so couldn't pass it up. And I agree it should make similar power and spool faster than the big turbine bw.
swap that on and see,i already know whats going to happen and I think you do as well;).oversizing the exhaust wheel and housing is the quickest way to slowing down.i have seen 70ptrim run 9 sec passes in a buick.I only have bw experience on the v8 stuff and they make a lot of power,haven't used it on the v6 but the 70 ptrim is old school but the old cast stuff still can run real fast.i personally like the billet wheel comp wheels better,they spool faster,make more power with less size,take a real beating.what you could do is send the turbo back to bw and swap to a smaller ex wheel and housing.

I would never run an 80mm turbine wheel on the v6 especially below 6000 rpm.
The EFR series "80" is the inducer of the turbine. It's 68mm exducer iirc. It will spool much quicker than anything that supports even 80% of its potential. I plan on running an Air Werks with an 80mn exducer on one of mine. I also plan on running between 5800 and 6800rpm. No point in choking the hotside and limiting the engines potential when everything else is well capable of the potential.

The EFR series "80" is the inducer of the turbine. It's 68mm exducer iirc. It will spool much quicker than anything that supports even 80% of its potential
im seeing 82lbs min rating for the s366?are you saying its a 68 mm turbine wheel?that I could relate too,still would seem a lot of ex wheel to only turn 5800.

No point in choking the hotside and limiting the engines potential when everything else is well capable of the potential.
there seems to be a very fine line with the v6s,i never really cared for how the 68 turbines came up on the brake. so on a good combo will the bw come up on the tree like a 65 or 66 turbine?like I said I only know the bw stuff makes really good power on the v8 stuff.

The s366 s366sxe and 369 all share the same 73/80 turbine. I comes up on the trans-brake pretty good imo. Anyone know where a p-trim begins to choke?

there seems to be a very fine line with the v6s,i never really cared for how the 68 turbines came up on the brake. so on a good combo will the bw come up on the tree like a 65 or 66 turbine?like I said I only know the bw stuff makes really good power on the v8 stuff.
You probably haven't experienced an EFR then!