6870 Turbo

Are your dyno numbers in your sig the same tune and boost you are running right now?

What springs are you running on the car now with a 214/214 cam?

I dont think a 3200 stall converter is driving the turbo enough on the top end.

I just put in the 68/70 turbo on my car this summer, along with the rjc 315 intercooler and racetronix dual fuel pump kit and bigger fuel lines. All I could say is that this turbo feels great and that it spools very quickly, blows away my drag radials at will. But what sucks is I put the car on the dyno a few weeks ago and it only dynoed 7 hp more at peak and about 30lbs less peak torque. The culprit for this is a weak drive train, valves are floating. The more the boost goes up, the HP starts to drop. I kind of new my springs were weak, wanted to change them over the winter but I couldn't get a straight answer on which valve springs would work best with my set up (M&A heads) and flat tappet cam. Decided to leave the springs in there and now I am paying for it. Well over the winter I will try to find out which roller cam set up would work best for my combination. I still feel if I would bring the car to the track with this turbo, it would run better times, I won't cause I am worried that at higher rpm I could drop a valve. The car would peak HP at 4600 and now it peaks at 4900. Starting from 4700 rpm and on the car makes 10 to 20 HP more and close to 30 HP more when getting to 5800 rpm and the same goes for the torque. This is why I think the car would pull a little harder on the 1/4 mile. The car is always between 5400 rpm and 5800 threw out the quarter and that is where the car is making more HP and Torque. Anyways I will see next year with the new roller cam and springs , how the car will really perform. All this to say even though the car didn't make crazy more HP , I just love the way this turbo feels and spools.

Your combo with that cam is totally wrong. The curve your trying to pigeon hole this turbo into won't cut it. You will be much happier and the combo will be more efficient with a roller cam provided you have a decent set of heads and a good stall converter. Your max rpm that your seeing now should be where your gear shift falls back to between shifts with your max being 6,600 to 6,800 rpm. The only shitty thing about it is the work that it will take to do it. I personally wouldn't lean over fenders and skin the front cover to put a cam/timing set in and change valve springs. I would pull the motor and do it outside the car, then reassemble.

But what sucks is I put the car on the dyno a few weeks ago and it only dynoed 7 hp more at peak and about 30lbs less peak torque.
a trade for a little more horsepower and a loss of torque,does the car spool slower?

I am currently using this turbo and in the process of swapping out cams. Car pulled hard with the 212/218 cam and never ran out of power but it is time for something custom, in MY opinion.
My new set up: (same as before with the exception of custom cam)
Long arm stroker from Dave H, Aluminum TA SE heads, Champion intake, 72MM TB, 224/244 cam :cool:,325 RJC FM, #160 injectors, 6870cea 4 bolt, 3.5 DP with full 3" GN1 exhaust, FASTXFI with eDash, TH400 with 3500 stall, Dual intank 510lph pumps with hot wire kit from DC. I will post dyno numbers once I have it running with a Cal tune.

I have the 212/218 Rev2 from FT I will be selling along with double roller very soon. less than 200miles

Well I haven't had the turbo put on yet, I told the guy that is doing the work to just put the turbo on first and let me try it out, He said the chip should be fine for a test, If I added the turbo fast system, Bigger injectors it wouldn't give a good ideal of the turbo, As soon as he gets it on I will give my opinion, When I got the car it had everything in my post but a stock short block, It was fun to drive and run 11 teens but when I had the eagle crank and rods and je pistons and the roller cam it felt like a new car, Funny on the cam Comp said not for street use, It runs great on the street and the car went 10.60 at 126, It had a no lock Art converter and had it changed to a PTC lockup and it went 10.40 at 131 on 20-22 pounds of boost

the 'not for street' is for emission so it doesnt have to get CARB approval , also may require a higher idle which would make it non emission compliant

Can you share any data logs with this combo?[/QUOT
Do you want the data logs of when I went to the track with my PT 67/76 turbo or the last data log of when i went to the dyno with the CEA 68/70 turbo. If you go on the time slip and combo database , I had posted some logs of some of my runs with the PT 67/76 turbo. The title is First time at the track with FAST XFI and E85.

Are your dyno numbers in your sig the same tune and boost you are running right now?

What springs are you running on the car now with a 214/214 cam?

I dont think a 3200 stall converter is driving the turbo enough on the top end.
In my sig it is written that the car made 607 HP at the wheels. Well when I went to the dyno the last time, my tuner told me there was a correction on the Dyno and that my 607 HP was more like 588 HP. After the correction was done on the dyno I did 595 HP with the CEA 68/70 turbo.
To be honest with you those springs have been around for a really long time. The heads that I have use to belong to Eric at Dynotech, which a friend of mine Claude (Too fast for you on this forum) bought off him and then I bought them off my friend. So those valve springs have done their time, and were installed on my car with the inner spring removed back in 2009. They were tested in 2009 at 140lbs, which at the time I didn't know that was too much for a flat tappet cam. Its time for a new roller cam and new valve springs.

Your combo with that cam is totally wrong. The curve your trying to pigeon hole this turbo into won't cut it. You will be much happier and the combo will be more efficient with a roller cam provided you have a decent set of heads and a good stall converter. Your max rpm that your seeing now should be where your gear shift falls back to between shifts with your max being 6,600 to 6,800 rpm. The only shitty thing about it is the work that it will take to do it. I personally wouldn't lean over fenders and skin the front cover to put a cam/timing set in and change valve springs. I would pull the motor and do it outside the car, then reassemble.
Mike you are right, this cam is not good for my combo. Need to find some who could refer me to a good roller cam for my combo and heads. I would always make my car shift on its own which is about 5400 rpm to 5500 rpm and come in at the traps at 5800 rpm. I will have to start shifting my car on my own , especially if I need to start bringing the car in the 6000 rpm range. I always liked the rpm to stay under 6000, I find it keeps the engine in one piece lol.

d44e57b7328182d49ffacc66bab45470.jpg
26 half psi to 27psi a few frames. I love this turbo

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

d44e57b7328182d49ffacc66bab45470.jpg
26 half psi to 27psi a few frames. I love this turbo

WOW Nat86, your car is making some crazy HP. Are you running a TA aluminum short block? How much cubic inch? At what rpm do you shift? Do you have any track times for your car?
Sorry for all the questions, just very interested.
Thanks Marco

the 'not for street' is for emission so it doesnt have to get CARB approval , also may require a higher idle which would make it non emission compliant
Hi Paul
I noticed in your sig, that one of the GN has a cam by Bison. Do you recommend that Bison specs me out a cam?
Thanks,
Marco

WOW Nat86, your car is making some crazy HP. Are you running a TA aluminum short block? How much cubic inch? At what rpm do you shift? Do you have any track times for your car?
Sorry for all the questions, just very interested.
Thanks Marco
Stroker ta engine ta heads 274 cubes. Last time out at track 22 psi 23psi a couple frames horrible 60-foot time and air quality was in the 4800 elevation 9.84 I just changed out my whole rear suspension .shifting at 6500.

Stroker ta engine ta heads 274 cubes. Last time out at track 22 psi 23psi a couple frames horrible 60-foot time and air quality was in the 4800 elevation 9.84 I just changed out my whole rear suspension .shifting at 6500.

Nice
If you get some good 60ft, your car should rock and roll. What was your trap speed?