.63 vs .85 housing?? Just some questions

It will undoubtedly make more power on the dyno but not a good indicator of spool on the street. If you leave at 10-15psi at the strip it may be worth something. Never hurts to try. Plan on using the red wrench if the current housing has been on for a long time. I m a big believer in N2O. Those that scoff at it never tried it or ever raced someone using it. Its been done:biggrin:

Well I think may be the direction I will go then. I will see hoe the car does with the .85 first, if its to soft I'll give the N2O a try. Small hit out of the hole. Maybe start out with a wot switch and turn off at a certain boost level. I may try to run it through out the pass, but IDK how comfortable I would be trying it throughout the run right off of the bat. What have your expierences been, or what have you done with some success?

I do agree. Alot of people do not like N2O, but I am a firm believer in it. A good friend of mine is spraying a 200 shot on his 306 in his mustang and its a solid 10 sec car now. He is building a 362 stroker for it now and it will get a 2 stage 300 shot! He's pushing for mid 9's. So you can't deny that it is a true power adder!

Well I think may be the direction I will go then. I will see hoe the car does with the .85 first, if its to soft I'll give the N2O a try. Small hit out of the hole. Maybe start out with a wot switch and turn off at a certain boost level. I may try to run it through out the pass, but IDK how comfortable I would be trying it throughout the run right off of the bat. What have your expierences been, or what have you done with some success?

I do agree. Alot of people do not like N2O, but I am a firm believer in it. A good friend of mine is spraying a 200 shot on his 306 in his mustang and its a solid 10 sec car now. He is building a 362 stroker for it now and it will get a 2 stage 300 shot! He's pushing for mid 9's. So you can't deny that it is a true power adder!

If you plan on using it for only spoolup it will only be on for about .3 seconds. Running it the whole way down is good but id use the best fuel i could get and shoot for 10.5:1. Not worth it unless you have a wideband to tune with. Ive seen cars drop 2.5 seconds on N20.

buttonfly,i lost et and mph on a pte.85 vs the .63 on a ta49,10.5 3200 stall,28 inch tire.it really softens the bottum end and the pte.63 is plenty of flow.as for the n20 is works great power wise but you need to be on your game with the tune,if you are not fully prepared for potential damage then i would advise against it.i went faster on a 35 shot with a garrett .63 then a 50 shot and the pte.63.my 49 car went just shy of 120mph pump gas alky at 3800lbs on the pte.63 125mph on the spray.the pte 85 was the slowest of all the housings i tested.

If you plan on using it for only spoolup it will only be on for about .3 seconds. Running it the whole way down is good but id use the best fuel i could get and shoot for 10.5:1. Not worth it unless you have a wideband to tune with. Ive seen cars drop 2.5 seconds on N20.

I have a PLX wideband. Wouldn't tune with out it! lol

buttonfly,i lost et and mph on a pte.85 vs the .63 on a ta49,10.5 3200 stall,28 inch tire.it really softens the bottum end and the pte.63 is plenty of flow.as for the n20 is works great power wise but you need to be on your game with the tune,if you are not fully prepared for potential damage then i would advise against it.i went faster on a 35 shot with a garrett .63 then a 50 shot and the pte.63.my 49 car went just shy of 120mph pump gas alky at 3800lbs on the pte.63 125mph on the spray.the pte 85 was the slowest of all the housings i tested.

Wow that is surprising. I really appreciate the feedback. What boost levels were you making your passes on? What kind of timing? I would love to get more details on your findings.

buttonfly,i have alot of data in brief,boost levels were up to 25psi,timing up to 30 degrees on pump gas alky.car had a stock cam.i think you should hit the track and see how the car goes since changes have been made since the last outing.i was trying to max the turbo out on my combo,see where your car is at,post the slip

This is amazing. Your experiences were exactly opposite of mine. I never had the need for N2O so can't speak to that, but When moving from a Garrett housing to a PTE .63 and then to the PTE .85 resulted in both ET and MPH improvements every step of the way.
Back then I was pushing the car REAL hard also. Boost in the hight 20's as well as timing. No alky, just straight race gas.

turbodave,each car is different thats why its hard to give advise when people are experimenting.the only thing that comes to mind is the 26inch tall tire you have other than that i impressed you got that 85 to move your timeslip.

Well I appreciate all of the input, really!! This has acutally been a pretty good thread with alot of info. I do agree with the fact that I really need to go back to establish a baseline with the setup now. Then I can go back and see how changes are affecting the car. I will make a point to go out in the next couple of weeks and see where it is. I know we got a little side tracked with the N2O, but that is another thing I have been very interested in. Just a thought for later mods. The .85 housing is on the way, I figure it is an easy enough mod that it can be easily undone if I dont like it. I can certainly play with tire size as well. I have new 275/60 M/T drag radials on the car now, and I do have a newer set of 26x10 M/T et drags too. So I have alot of options to go with. I do think I will keep the 28's on there now to establish my baseline, and go from there.