.63 vs .85 housing?? Just some questions

buttonfly

The stable....
Ok I have a 6152 with a precision .63 housing. Now I havn't been to the track since making some very good changes. They car is alot quicker than it every has been. I am thinking of changing to a .85 housing. I would really like some feedback on this before I do.

Here is what I have done. When I switched from the a te44 to the 6152 I never changed my chip. I just added fuel, and I could never get it lean enough in 1st and begining of second. It wasn't until the top of second I got the numbers remotely close to around 10.8 afr and finally in third I would get there. So upgrading the chip made a fantastic difference. I am perfect through all three gears now. The car spools instanly and I couldn't be happier with that aspect.

I also took the time to set up the suspension and set my pinion angle correctly and pre-load the suspension.

I am running a 28in tire already. I havn't really uncorked the downpipe to see how that helps. I was thinking of switching to a .85 housing and adding an electric dump. Let me know what you guys think. As always thank you in advance for your input, it is very much appreciated!!!

turbos

the .63 has more down low torque and the .83 is for more top end mph. I always like the .63 housings for more out of the hole go.
Andy

Ok I have a 6152 with a precision .63 housing. Now I havn't been to the track since making some very good changes. They car is alot quicker than it every has been. I am thinking of changing to a .85 housing. I would really like some feedback on this before I do.

Here is what I have done. When I switched from the a te44 to the 6152 I never changed my chip. I just added fuel, and I could never get it lean enough in 1st and begining of second. It wasn't until the top of second I got the numbers remotely close to around 10.8 afr and finally in third I would get there. So upgrading the chip made a fantastic difference. I am perfect through all three gears now. The car spools instanly and I couldn't be happier with that aspect.

I also took the time to set up the suspension and set my pinion angle correctly and pre-load the suspension.

I am running a 28in tire already. I havn't really uncorked the downpipe to see how that helps. I was thinking of switching to a .85 housing and adding an electric dump. Let me know what you guys think. As always thank you in advance for your input, it is very much appreciated!!!

Id ask Dusty about this. You may not see any gain and it may actually hurt your 330' time.

the .63 has more down low torque and the .83 is for more top end mph. I always like the .63 housings for more out of the hole go.
Andy

well that has definantly crossed my mind. Sometimes I have been known to go to Mexico to play on the street too, they seem to have some nice cars n bikes that won't go out of the hole! ;) I was just wondering if someone has tried this turbo both ways too.

Id ask Dusty about this. You may not see any gain and it may actually hurt your 330' time.

As always Bison you bring up a good point. I never thought of calling Dusty and asking him. Ok while have your attention what has been your expierence with opening the downpipe? I havn't ruled out going wit an elecric cutout either. I didn't pick up much at the track with my 44, but I havn't tried it with the 61. What are your thoughts?

forgive the spelling, the computer went down and I am using the wifes laptop. You really have to stroke some of these keys! I will do a better job of proofreading next time!

Another thought would be to go back to a 26 in tall tire? I have a newer set of 26x10 slicks, could that overcome the larger housing?? The car digs pretty good now, but you still have to feather it out sometimes.

Maybe Joe Reif will chime in here? I think he was running 10.90's with this turbo and an .85 housing, but I believe he was locking a 5 disc.

Quick6'n'K.C. what is your thoughts? I hope you chime in. What was Scott running on his 10.90 passes?? Or your 11.teens??

I am no expert but here is my observation :tongue: ;
First off, I am sure you read the sticky on the 6152. :)
Some of the guys running 120+ on that turbo, with the 0.63 PTE housing . . . . so, at 113 mph, I don't think the housing is holding you back.

I am no expert but here is my observation :tongue: ;
First off, I am sure you read the sticky on the 6152. :)
Some of the guys running 120+ on that turbo, with the 0.63 PTE housing . . . . so, at 113 mph, I don't think the housing is holding you back.

Yes I actually contributed to that thread on the 6152. I am sure you read my entire post stating the fact that I have not been back to the track since making some crucial changes. I made some changes addressing some of my issues with the tune. So though I don't have a timeslip to prove the car is faster, I guess my butt dyno will have to do. I am sure that you read the thread on the 6152 and know some of those guys are running really nice heads, roller cams, 28 plus psi, and .85 housings too. It seems there are quite a few ways to go fast with this turbo. I appreciate you jumping in and trying to point out my short comings in tune for a laugh. I am simply trying to learn and maybe make my car better. Maybe someone has tried the same thing with some success or the opposite, but you won't know until you ask. Guys like you have nothing to do but chime in and try to make me feel bad because I only went 113??? I guess I should point out I was only on 25/21 timing, 24 psi, or as stated before I couldn't get the afr lean enough in 1st or 2nd. High 9's afr is just a touch fat wouldn't you think? It was my 1st 11 in the car, and I didn't even lean on it to hard. So I was very proud of that whether you like it or not. So I am really not putting alot into that 113, but I do thank you for contributing. Now do you have something that may help me or some input on my initial question?

As always Bison you bring up a good point. I never thought of calling Dusty and asking him. Ok while have your attention what has been your expierence with opening the downpipe? I havn't ruled out going wit an elecric cutout either. I didn't pick up much at the track with my 44, but I havn't tried it with the 61. What are your thoughts?
I have had a Hooker exhaust on my car for the last 11 years (its rotting in the y-pipe now and soon to be replaced) and picked up very little opening the exhaust cut out till i was over 500hp. My guess is maybe 15 hp gain if you have about 500hp. Electric cut outs are good. Spool up is noticeably better with the exhaust open. It wont be with a straight through muffler though. The gain in spoolup could help you leave harder and e.t. better. I have the original style mufflers that came with the Hooker exhaust. Not the Aero mufflers. At 375-400hp a mandrel bent TH style dp 2.5" or larger is worth about 10-15hp. Dont believe outrageous claims often posted here. Back in 94-95 when i was poor i got my original GN to go 12.40 with the stock turbo through a stock elbow and dp without beating it too much and a 1.8 60' Those stock parts will take you a lot further than most would think if the tune is good.

I have had a Hooker exhaust on my car for the last 11 years (its rotting in the y-pipe now and soon to be replaced) and picked up very little opening the exhaust cut out till i was over 500hp. My guess is maybe 15 hp gain if you have about 500hp. Electric cut outs are good. Spool up is noticeably better with the exhaust open. It wont be with a straight through muffler though. The gain in spoolup could help you leave harder and e.t. better. I have the original style mufflers that came with the Hooker exhaust. Not the Aero mufflers. At 375-400hp a mandrel bent TH style dp 2.5" or larger is worth about 10-15hp. Dont believe outrageous claims often posted here. Back in 94-95 when i was poor i got my original GN to go 12.40 with the stock turbo through a stock elbow and dp without beating it too much and a 1.8 60' Those stock parts will take you a lot further than most would think if the tune is good.

Well I was thinking the open dump may help pick up some of the spool up that would be lost when running the larger housing. I was curious as to what you had possibly tried in the past. I am very confident in the tune right now. I am on 26/22 timing, 26 psi with pump and alky, and unlike the last trip to the track rock solid 10.8-11.0 afr in all gears. So right now I feel comfortable where I am at, but looking for the next step. I though about a cam, but I would rather keep that for a winter project.

Yes I actually contributed to that thread on the 6152. I am sure you read my entire post stating the fact that I have not been back to the track since making some crucial changes. I made some changes addressing some of my issues with the tune. So though I don't have a timeslip to prove the car is faster, I guess my butt dyno will have to do. I am sure that you read the thread on the 6152 and know some of those guys are running really nice heads, roller cams, 28 plus psi, and .85 housings too. It seems there are quite a few ways to go fast with this turbo. I appreciate you jumping in and trying to point out my short comings in tune for a laugh. I am simply trying to learn and maybe make my car better. Maybe someone has tried the same thing with some success or the opposite, but you won't know until you ask. Guys like you have nothing to do but chime in and try to make me feel bad because I only went 113??? I guess I should point out I was only on 25/21 timing, 24 psi, or as stated before I couldn't get the afr lean enough in 1st or 2nd. High 9's afr is just a touch fat wouldn't you think? It was my 1st 11 in the car, and I didn't even lean on it to hard. So I was very proud of that whether you like it or not. So I am really not putting alot into that 113, but I do thank you for contributing. Now do you have something that may help me or some input on my initial question?

Yikes! Sorry you took my post the wrong way.
First off, I stated not to be an expert, and there was NO PUN intended.
What I was trying to say is that some are also running pretty fast on a TA49, so there are maqny unshared secrets in rest of the combo.
Best of luck.

Oh, and my car runs 18's, so what do I know?

I would recommend giving the .85 housing a try.
I'm still running the same PTE44 that I've been running for over 13 years now. When I started out, It came with the .63 housing, and as expected it was an animal coming out of the hole. I bit too good actually.
Back then I was running around 110 off the tcc, and around 115 locking the tcc.
I switched over to the PT.85 housing, and it softened up the bottom end a bit, although not terrible. At least the car's controlable. I also moved up to 112 unlocked and some good 117.5 runs locking the tcc. This was always on 26" tires.

I stayed with that .85 housing, car's still all the same. I suppose it would be more visually appealing to observers to see it burn the tires off the car as soon as I stomp on at a light, but I personally like the little bit softer launch and be really moving hard about 30-50 feet out. My 60's never got below 1.69 but the car ET'd well and mph'd even better.
Some of that could be attributed to the crappy 16" wheels/tires I chose.

15" wheels/tires with nice tall flexible sidewalls are always the best choice.

Yikes! Sorry you took my post the wrong way.
First off, I stated not to be an expert, and there was NO PUN intended.
What I was trying to say is that some are also running pretty fast on a TA49, so there are maqny unshared secrets in rest of the combo.
Best of luck.

Oh, and my car runs 18's, so what do I know?

No worries..............Just pisses me of sometimes when you see posts where guys are trying to figure something out, but there is someone chimes in ball breaking them. Don't worry I'm not all butt hurt over it!!! ;)

Thanks!

I would recommend giving the .85 housing a try.
I'm still running the same PTE44 that I've been running for over 13 years now. When I started out, It came with the .63 housing, and as expected it was an animal coming out of the hole. I bit too good actually.
Back then I was running around 110 off the tcc, and around 115 locking the tcc.
I switched over to the PT.85 housing, and it softened up the bottom end a bit, although not terrible. At least the car's controlable. I also moved up to 112 unlocked and some good 117.5 runs locking the tcc. This was always on 26" tires.

I stayed with that .85 housing, car's still all the same. I suppose it would be more visually appealing to observers to see it burn the tires off the car as soon as I stomp on at a light, but I personally like the little bit softer launch and be really moving hard about 30-50 feet out. My 60's never got below 1.69 but the car ET'd well and mph'd even better.
Some of that could be attributed to the crappy 16" wheels/tires I chose.

15" wheels/tires with nice tall flexible sidewalls are always the best choice.

Thank you dave! I am running 275/60 M/T drag radials now. I already have one lined up and I am going to give it a try. I guess I will wait and see. I will probably do some comparision on my buddies dyno. I spoke with him this morning about it and we thought then we could get some concrete evidence. J

Well I was thinking the open dump may help pick up some of the spool up that would be lost when running the larger housing. I was curious as to what you had possibly tried in the past. I am very confident in the tune right now. I am on 26/22 timing, 26 psi with pump and alky, and unlike the last trip to the track rock solid 10.8-11.0 afr in all gears. So right now I feel comfortable where I am at, but looking for the next step. I though about a cam, but I would rather keep that for a winter project.
I doubt the open dump would be enough. It would depend on the engine and converter more than anything. Ive only run .85ex housings on the few ive had anything to do with as far as build and parts selection and the converters were either purpose built for the application or more stall than needed used AC 9" units. All were non lock. The slowest car went 127mph in the quarter at 3800lbs. Ive been dialing whitettype's car but his converter is too tight to spool a .85 S trim even with the ball bearing and its about 2800 at zero boost/vacuum but the mph is up there even at sub 25psi levels.

I doubt the open dump would be enough. It would depend on the engine and converter more than anything. Ive only run .85ex housings on the few ive had anything to do with as far as build and parts selection and the converters were either purpose built for the application or more stall than needed used AC 9" units. All were non lock. The slowest car went 127mph in the quarter at 3800lbs. Ive been dialing whitettype's car but his converter is too tight to spool a .85 S trim even with the ball bearing and its about 2800 at zero boost/vacuum but the mph is up there even at sub 25psi levels.

Well I can certainly see and understand that. I guess if I don't like it I can always switch it back easy enough. I think I will try it just to see. I have a bit of a game plan with it. I think I am going to put the car on my buddies dyno and try both housings with the dump closed and open. I will just have to play with it. It might not work, but I guess it will only cost me some time to try it out.

ok heres another thought. I do have a n2o wet kit sitting in the garage. I bet small 35 shot would get it spooled. what do you think about that Bison? Have you played with that ever?

ok heres another thought. I do have a n2o wet kit sitting in the garage. I bet small 35 shot would get it spooled. what do you think about that Bison? Have you played with that ever?

It will undoubtedly make more power on the dyno but not a good indicator of spool on the street. If you leave at 10-15psi at the strip it may be worth something. Never hurts to try. Plan on using the red wrench if the current housing has been on for a long time. I m a big believer in N2O. Those that scoff at it never tried it or ever raced someone using it. Its been done:biggrin: