5858 turbo results?

Hi Joe,

I think that this thread should be posted in the "Turbos & Turbo Related Parts" section. Maybe one of the moderators can move it over there?

The 5858 may be to new and not out long enough for people to have tried it yet.

I've got its predecessor Precisions Billet Wheeled SP5857 (Dbl Ball bearing with S ported cover) .63 A/R and am real happy with it. Spools real quick! Had to port the waste gate hole to keep the boost under control . It's a small(ish) turbo, with lightning fast spool & for me was a great choice for my car which is driven on the street.
Couldn't be happier with it. :D

I would highly recommend the S ported cover .......for your street driving you will be on & off the gas repeatedly due to changing traffic conditions & the ported shroud will help to control compressor surge.

The older TA-49's & TE-44's were prone to this compressor surge especially when combined with a stretched Stock Location Intercooler.

dave

The older TA-49's & TE-44's were prone to this compressor surge especially when combined with a stretched Stock Location Intercooler...

Alky is what makes mine surge, but same principle. The alky makes the compressor side more efficient than what the engine can eat and thus, part throttle surge. Part throttle surge isn't a huge deal either unless the car bucks from over turbulent airflow. WOT surge is the bad one. Without the alky on though, I have no surge with my TE44 even with my CAS V4.

Thanks guys, as far as where to post this I wasn't sure, so I just thought here in the general.

I know this is a new turbo design, but I had to ask.
As far as driving in traffic it's never really fun if your stuck behind a slowpoke in your black car.

I want to go fast like everyone else, but I can't see ditching the 49 for another unless there's something to be gained. And by that I mean I'm not really into huge overkill turbos. I like what I seen so far as to the 5758, so I can't help but be curious about the next gen of these small monsters.

Cons?

Thanks Joe

I have the 5831 and love it but I don't know how it compares to the 5858 nor what type of combo is better for each turbo..

ks

I've put Garrett .63 housings on 5857's to improve spoolup with stock converters. On those cars with stock converters the result was drastic. Fwiw it's possible to do bypass housings on any t04e 60 wheel if the larger 4" inlet housing is used. There isn't any power in it though.

I know this is an old thread, but just bumping it to see if anyone has any results to share with their 5858.

About as fast as my old GT3255 :) You dont need a big turbo on a stock motored car. I went 11.42@122 with a GT3255 in 2007. Spooled great and pulled hard. If I was doing a stock motored car again I would do a 5858. It will spool great on the street and go deep in the 11's easy.

About as fast as my old GT3255 :) You dont need a big turbo on a stock motored car. I went 11.42@122 with a GT3255 in 2007. Spooled great and pulled hard. If I was doing a stock motored car again I would do a 5858. It will spool great on the street and go deep in the 11's easy.
I think I'm sold on the 5858 for my car. I got caught up in trying to find the biggest turbo that would work on a stock engine, but I think the 5858 is the route I should go for now. Mid to low 11s on a 28 year old v6 is plenty fast for me.