5.73@122.1 DRW/Buick new best.

Imagine this. You've just done a best with the car that most would swear was impossible with the setup you're using. You decide to do some maintenance and you find this.

Why is it "impossible with that setup??" I believe you've got alot left! Think.!! :confused: 32psi in the intake IS still 32psi... All you're going to gain by your exhaust fix is more flow to support a bigger turbo, more boost(not likely to make a difference with the 76gtq), and the possible bonus of quicker spool time. I doubt the HP change will be signifigant. My primaries are 1 1/2 and my crossover is 1 3/4 so I'm curious to see if your theory works out. BTW, I'm still running a 3 bolt 70 series with a stock wastegate at the same psi, same weight, no alky, no liquid IC or carbon fiber intake, and the same results! Not trying to take anything away from your results but....WTF???? I've got "some left" and I believe you do too with some fine tuning. You've got at least 5.40's with that combo! Good luck. ;)

Foot brake-No N2O- Irwindale YouTube - 5.78@128 Fastest Toyota Street Truck

Scott Wile

It looks to me that the restriction is serious enough that it should run better without it. That restriction is probably causing to much back pressure which is causing your boost to be higher than it would normally be. It may also be
causing the air speed to double or triple heading into the turbo which may be helping. It will be intresting to see what the results of the fix are. Please keep us posted. Thanks Mike:)

What happened, flex pipe collapse?

This is a bellows joint. Covering the inside and the outside of the bellows is this stainless wire mesh. I would guess for support. After cutting the inside mesh away, you can see the bellows. It's fine. What happened is the inside mesh must have got hot and then the exhaust stretched and push it towards the outlet end and bunched it all up at the end.

The bellows joint itself looks like those universal engine coolant hoses. Corrogated.

Why is it "impossible with that setup??" I believe you've got alot left! Think.!! :confused: 32psi in the intake IS still 32psi... All you're going to gain by your exhaust fix is more flow to support a bigger turbo, more boost(not likely to make a difference with the 76gtq), and the possible bonus of quicker spool time. I doubt the HP change will be signifigant. My primaries are 1 1/2 and my crossover is 1 3/4 so I'm curious to see if your theory works out. BTW, I'm still running a 3 bolt 70 series with a stock wastegate at the same psi, same weight, no alky, no liquid IC or carbon fiber intake, and the same results! Not trying to take anything away from your results but....WTF???? I've got "some left" and I believe you do too with some fine tuning. You've got at least 5.40's with that combo! Good luck. ;)

Foot brake-No N2O- Irwindale YouTube - 5.78@128 Fastest Toyota Street Truck

Scott Wile

The intake I made is not carbon fiber. It's hammered out sheet aluminum. The upper part, anyway. I'll take that as a compliment though. Thanks.

When I was first putting the engine together, there was a lot of the normal speculation that goes on. Here's a list:

M&A heads. They're junk. They leak. The flow is just a little better than stock heads. Takes too much work to install the valve sizes you really need.
I'm still running the original 1.835 intake and 1.5 exhaust.

The camshaft. Too much duration. Too much lift. The lobe separation is too tight. There's too much overlap. You don't need to rev a turbo motor that high.

Cubic inch displacement. You should have stroked it to get more cubic inches. Instead, I destroked it. 3.06.

Exhaust. The primary tubing diameters are too big. 1.625" stepped to 1.750". The collector sizes are too big. 2.250". There's too much volume in the exhaust system. "Long tube headers don't work on turbo motors."

Intake. You need longer intake runners. The plenum volume is too much. You don't need that big throttle body.

Turbo. The best you can do with a T76 is 9.20s. Turbonetics T76 is old school. Outdated.

Nitrous. You're just going to blow it up. I've blown 2 engines in 7 years. The reasons for each had nothing to do with the use of nitrous.

Milodon geardrive. You'll transfer harmonics to the valvetrain and bust things up. They're noisy. I dare anyone to try and tell if I'm using a geardrive by listening to the engine. If someone ends up with a noisy Milodon on a Buick V6, don't blame the gearset.

Torque converter stall. 2400 rpm @ 0 boost. The stall is too low. Slippage is too much on the top end. Neal Chance converters don't work.

Methanol. Why are you running methanol? It corrodes. It blows engines up. You need to run 2 electronic injectors per runner. You need to run mechanical alcohol injection.

Turbo 400 trans. They eat up horsepower. You'll lose 2 tenths or more. Really? Can I add that onto the ET I'm doing then?

Driveshaft. Diameter's too large. Weights too much.

Rearend. You should be running a 9 inch. 12 bolts are weak.

Tires. You need more tire. Well, I won't argue that one.

Electomotive TEC3r. They're junk. Too hard to tune. Confusing. Hurts my brain. Mmsh, mmsh, mmsh, momma.

Everything about my setup is wrong. Yet...

Don't get me wrong Don. I'm on your side. I was just trying to get my point across that with some more fine tuning I think you'll have another personal best. My mistake on the carbon fiber. Yes, it does look that nice:biggrin:

Scott Wile

Thats me all over again!!! Say "that wont work" and you better stand back and watch it happen. Guess thats what keeps me fired up!!!! Mike:cool:

In case some of you didn't catch it in one of my previous posts. The hole through that restriction measured out at a hair over 7/8". Get that stainless mesh hot so it expands, and stainless loves to expand, and what's the new hole size by the end of the run?

With the cam overlap I'm using, I would guess that there was a lot of exhaust dilution in that bank of cylinders. It will be interesting.

Don't get me wrong Don. I'm on your side. I was just trying to get my point across that with some more fine tuning I think you'll have another personal best. My mistake on the carbon fiber. Yes, it does look that nice:biggrin:

Scott Wile

I understood Scott. Just had to get it off my chest. You and me, I suspect, are in the same boat.

My Story

I'm going to step onto the soap box for a moment. (smirking) I know some of you are sitting back and saying, here we go again. Another long post by Don. To those I say, enjoy.:D

When I was in elementary school I had a dream. I remember it vividly. It has followed me throughout my life. It was to build my own engine. Not just rebuild an engine. Build my own engine.
Remember those plastic, see through engines they sold in the model section at the drug store. I never did get one. Too expensive. But, I used to dream of how I could get one to run on its own so I could watch it work inside. This was elementary school.
Growing up I ran model airplanes with the little 2 stroke engines. My first experience with methanol and nitro. First engine was a PeeWee 049. I didn't pay attention much to the fuel. Didn't understand the chemistry. I did pay a lot of attention to the engine though. I was constantly rebuilding the engines and test running them in the back yard. My neighbors had to just love me for that. It's funny how many of the tuning principles for those little alcohol engines pertains to the large alcohol engines. I never really thought about that before, but it's true. After you started the engine you would lean it out with the mixture needle until you reached max power or burned a glow plug. Then you would richen it slightly so that you wouldn't burn the engine up while in flight. The power was less, but the engine would make it to the end of the flight. You were constantly checking the glow plugs for signs of overheating. Interesting.
I started out my street racing with a Chevy 68 Chevelle with a 2 barrel 307, three on the tree. When I was done with it, I was turning 12.0s at Carlsbad in the late 70s. Before that point though, I was beating stout competition on the street with the 2 barrel and 3.08 gears. One being a big blocked Ford Mustang with all the goodies for that period. Oh, was he pissed. We raced over and over. He was bound and determined to get me. I was even an underdog back then. I learned back then that it's not always the parts, but the difference can be in just the quality of the tuneup.
When I discovered the Buick V6 and found out about 6 head studs per cylinder, that was it. I knew this would be that motor I would build to make my own. I went to the Buick events mostly in the 90s and checked out as many racers cars as I could. I was a sponge for knowledge. I read books. Asked advice. Watched what others were doing. Then I formed my own ideas of what this engine should be. Many were taken aback by many of the ideas and told me to just talk to Kenny and he'll straighten you out. Why do you want to run alcohol by god. Not taking anything from Kenny. He's a great person for any engine builder to look up too. And not to criticize the people that tried to steer me to him for advice. They were trying to help. What they didn't understand was that I had to do this on my own. I wanted it to be mine. If it meant making mistakes on the way. Oh well. That's part of learning. And there really isn't a better way to learn sometimes.
The sad thing about doing things your own way sometimes is the reaction you get from others. Most tend to be stand offish and redicule you for doing something that is different than the popular set norm. You might hear opinions like, there's only a few people that truly know how to build a Buick V6 or why didn't he just use those off the shelf parts. Why spend so much time and money. If it were a different time period, you'd be burned at the stake for heresy. One of the comments I remember well. Someone wrote on this BB after I blew my first engine, 'what a waste of a good block.' Hmmm. I wonder how many blocks Kenny has thrown in the dumpster throughout his racing career. The difference is, you don't dare hear someone say that about his racing journey. I guess that's part of being the underdog, isn't it.
It's this type of redicule though that keeps new ideas at bay. Some people are afraid of ending up being different or being an out cast so they won't pursue their dream in ernest. That's very sad to me. People like me that enjoy going to a racing event and checking out the machines and seeing new and innovative ideas are missing out.
Those of you that have their own idea of how it should be done, you just show us. You'll at least have my admiration.

Donnie, That is so close to my story that I swear you copied that from my past. Well said , and Im happy watch your dreams grow!!! Please keep us posted . Mike:cool:

Donnie,
Thank you for putting your projects out there for all to see. Most innovaters don't expose themselves to the follow the crowd( sheep ) criticism. I have developed selective hearing for those people. I bet more people are watching and learning then would admit it. Keep it coming as life " inside the box " is boring. P.S. My first car was all wrong- according to all the experts. ( 60 El Camino ,331 small block ,tunnel ram , 4 speed ,12.5 comp, huge cam, 2" primary headers, etc... 11.50 's at 118 on slicks ) :rolleyes: Wayne

Thanks. Do you know why I really do this? I pray that something that I've done or wrote about will encourage another person, young or old, to follow their dream and hopefully do it their way. I remember a time before I started my project when I would just walk the pits and check out peoples cars. Getting ideas. Heck. I still do that. I just love checking out peoples machines. Those were the people that encouraged me. Kenny, Lou, ATR. It was an exciting time. Now there's Dick, Len, RJC, Hartline, Manny, the Arizona gang. I just want to be one of those people that somehow encouraged someone to follow their dream and not hold back.

She's back together. Exhaust tone is different. Seems deeper. Runs smoother. Especially above the idle to low rpm (below 2,000 rpm) rough patch (big cam). Throttle blipping responce is quicker and smoother. Feels good.

I'm set up to measure the exhaust back pressure. So far, on the rack, back pressure is 1.25 psi @ converter stall, 0 boost. That's about 2,300 rpm.

While the car was apart I switched over to the .96 a/r T4 turbine housing.

Track testing at Fontana this weekend.

Cool Donnie! When these lil V6's run there best it's when they are very nice and smooth. I hope to see you out there this weekend. ;)

Donnie, Glad to hear it's back together and ready to go. I wish I could make it to see it run. Maybe some video for us ? Have fun and good luck ! Wayne:cool:

I was playing around with the gasoline program at light loads all the way to 2 lbs. boost on the torque converter using the transbrake and some interesting changes.

The engine seemed to attain that 2 lb. boost level much easier than before. Instead of stopping at the converter stall rpm and hovering there for a bit before building boost, it now smoothly transitions through the 0 boost point and builds boost without delay up to about 2,600, 2,700 rpm.

She wants more fuel! I had to richen the fuel as little as 1 to 2 percent at the off idle areas and as much as 18 percent, settling in at a 12.6 to one a/f ratio, at 2 lbs. boost. No, that's not a typo. That's eighteen percent, not 1.8. She's definitely making more power on the gasoline program. I'm going to have to switch over to the alcohol and see what's up before the weekend. Don't want to lean out on the track.

hey don are you coming to the bowling green nats this year we would love to see your car run very nice 60 ft pin you in the seat pass man thats great big congrats

hey don are you coming to the bowling green nats this year we would love to see your car run very nice 60 ft pin you in the seat pass man thats great big congrats

I've been thinking about it. The car has thrown me a bit of a curve ball though. I'll look into it deeper after this weekend.