3 Inch Downpipe Hitting

GNAT87

Ive had this downpipe for about a year now and just in the last month it started hitting my A-arm. Makes a ton of racket and even more when i turn right. What would cause this just to start happening? What parts will I need now to fix this problem where I can actually enjoy driving the car?:rolleyes:

Sagging engine mount on rt. side and bad upper control arm bushings would be the first things I would look at.

I would recommend checking and replacing the motor mounts. This is the first thing to change with our over 20 + year old cars.
Ted

New HR mounts went on both sides with the new motor about 5 or 6 months ago. I will check upper a arm today. Correct me if I'm wrong but if they were bad wouldn't that cause the a arm to sag giving the downpipe more room? I'm sure they are gone after 21 years though so where could I pick up some new ones?

New HR mounts went on both sides with the new motor about 5 or 6 months ago. I will check upper a arm today. Correct me if I'm wrong but if they were bad wouldn't that cause the a arm to sag giving the downpipe more room? I'm sure they are gone after 21 years though so where could I pick up some new ones?

Nope, it causes the car to sag, moving the upper arm closer to the downpipe. Time for new upper A-arm bushings, and maybe a heat shield over it. Just guessing, though.

Might also want to try loosening the bolts to the turbo and see if you can rotate the pipe up a bit. If not maybe a little "massaging" might be in order. If the car sits lower than stock that will kick the a arm up enough to possibly have an interference problem. That rear a arm cross shaft bushing sees a lot of heat so that might be an issue to??

Thanks for clearing that up I'll play with the turbo as well but where can I find a kit to do the a arms with new bushings? Are the new ones going to creep and make noise?

Also this is off topic but I figured I'd try it here before starting a new thread...what size bolt goes into the back of the heads for the grounds?