224 Stage I Single Turbo Buick V6 does the impossible. 8.76 @ 158.7

My only intention from the start was to show people what I was doing, and maybe stir some grey matter out there to think outside the box and maybe come up with new and exciting discoveries of their own. If that is considered drawing negative feedback, then I'm sorry, but I intend to keep doing it.

Are you serious? You read my post and thought that "thinking outside the box" is drawing negative feedback? Please re-read my post. I stated quite clearly that I am a big fan of thinking outside the box.

You started the post with:

The car that has been touted by many to be completely wrong, and was expected to fall flat on its face has clicked off another best. This time the 1/4 mile.
Again, she has surpassed my wildest expectations, and I'm sure, the dismal predictions of many others.

Why involve anyone else? Your "naysayer", etc.. comments is what turns these threads away from stirring our "grey matter"

Crap! Now I'm getting it off track. Good Luck, I hope it continues to impress you.

Are you serious? You read my post and thought that "thinking outside the box" is drawing negative feedback? Please re-read my post. I stated quite clearly that I am a big fan of thinking outside the box.

You started the post with:

Why involve anyone else? Your "naysayer", etc.. comments is what turns these threads away from stirring our "grey matter"
Being a little sensitive, aren't you? My reply was not about you at all. It was directed at those who first began to give me a hard time about my combination years back when I first began posting about my project. I don't remember exactly who those individuals were and, I really don't care. I just know it was very frustrating for me to see that so many couldn't see the same potential for the project as me.

Again, please excuse my excitement. It's been over ten years since I first conceived this project, and I'm having trouble containing myself. I'm sure that after all the 'negative feedback' that I've endured over the years, many reading this thread can't hold some of my enthusiasm against me. Besides, why are you getting so bent out of shape?

I have always thought you combo had more in it and still believe it does,I was not impressed with how fast it had gone with what you had for parts,(convertor more than anything) quite the contrary to what you say.
I dont think i have read(i could be wrong) anyone post it would not go the fast,we all think the car should be way faster.

I have always thought you combo had more in it and still believe it does,I was not impressed with how fast it had gone with what you had for parts,(convertor more than anything) quite the contrary to what you say.
I dont think i have read(i could be wrong) anyone post it would not go the fast,we all think the car should be way faster.
That's very easy to say now, and with the latest signs that the car has given me, I do agree with you and Cal. There is still a lot more in it.
The whole combination has revolved around these heads from the very beginning and I continue to be amazed at how far these heads have taken it. The general thought is that you must have the bitchin breathing heads with big valves to do anything respectable. That generalization has been disproved.
I'm curious. Are there others that have gone eights with small valve heads without extreme (over 30) boost numbers?

The whole combination has revolved around these heads from the very beginning and I continue to be amazed at how far these heads have taken it. The general thought is that you must have the bitchin breathing heads with big valves to do anything respectable. That generalization has been disproved.
I'm curious. Are there others that have gone eights with small valve heads without extreme (over 30) boost numbers?
Am I the only one?

Am I the only one?

Modern day........I'd say yes. Don't know what the 8 second guys were using 10 years or so ago.

What you actually proved to those that may not know is how much backpressure effects engine hp.

Sure you don't need maxed out big valve heads to run 8's, but if you don't have them you need a super large turbo that makes very little backpressure, then you'll need a large nitrous shot and loose converter to spool it.

There's a reason no one else is doing what you are doing. It's much more expensive and complicated to do it your way.

Congrats on the 8 second passes. Glad to see you are enjoying the fruits of your work.

Almost forgot.

I thought you were having considerable rpm drop on your gear changes. How much is it dropping if you are seeing 20% slip?

Difffent Strokes

Hey Donnie,
Congrats on your pass! nothing wrong with sorting out your combo, nice to see your working with what you have and not following the band wagon. There is always more then one way to achieve the same goals, nothing wrong with taking a different route to get there. :)

Just think with less gear and a lil converter your small cubes would really lay down the numbers!

Almost forgot.

I thought you were having considerable rpm drop on your gear changes. How much is it dropping if you are seeing 20% slip?
I calculate the slippage at the finish line of the quarter at 18%. Someone else is coming up with 20%.
To answer your question, on the PB run I saw a rpm drop on the 2-3 shift of 629 rpm. It's hard to judge on the 1-2 because I'm still getting a lot of tire slippage through all of 2nd gear, but the nearest I can tell is it dropped 714 rpm.

Modern day........I'd say yes. Don't know what the 8 second guys were using 10 years or so ago.

What you actually proved to those that may not know is how much backpressure effects engine hp.

Sure you don't need maxed out big valve heads to run 8's, but if you don't have them you need a super large turbo that makes very little backpressure, then you'll need a large nitrous shot and loose converter to spool it.

There's a reason no one else is doing what you are doing. It's much more expensive and complicated to do it your way.

Congrats on the 8 second passes. Glad to see you are enjoying the fruits of your work.
And let's not forget that with low backpressure, other choices open up for the turbo tuner.

Hey Donnie,
Congrats on your pass! nothing wrong with sorting out your combo, nice to see your working with what you have and not following the band wagon. There is always more then one way to achieve the same goals, nothing wrong with taking a different route to get there. :)

Just think with less gear and a lil converter your small cubes would really lay down the numbers!
The plan is to move from 3.73 to a 3.42 gearset. I think it will only have a tiny affect on the timeslip in the 1/8. It will certainly give me some rpm range to work with in the quarter when I start putting more boost to her.
After some 1/4 mile testing with the 3.42s, I will re-evaluate the torque converter.

I calculate the slippage at the finish line of the quarter at 18%. Someone else is coming up with 20%.

And here i thought from the beginning you were touting that with nitrous you had the ability to run a tight convertor, and still spool the turbo charger but here we are with your tight chance converter on the "shelf " and your 18% slip convertor in the car. Seems that this is a major change from your original intent. but it continues to amaze you bravo for you. What amazes me, is in the picture that i enclosed of your turbo compared to your old turbo, is the fact that the smaller turbo in the picture, a 4 bolt 76 is still bigger than a 3 bolt 71. Yet with that BIG 91 did i say BIG 91 your STILL not making any more power than the 71 3 bolt still feel your doing the impossiable ?????

Ok lets recapp what ive been saying for a while

Don:

224 ci
stock style heads
91 thumper turbo
400 hp nitrous
3200 lb car
8.76 @ 158 + HP = 998

Tsm car:

250 ci
stock style heads
71 3 bolt turbo
no nitrous, combo is right
3550 lb car
8.87 @ 154 + HP = 1011

Attachments

• wang.jpg
    wang.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 361
  • wang 2.jpg
    wang 2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 358
The plan is to move from 3.73 to a 3.42 gearset. I think it will only have a tiny affect on the timeslip in the 1/8. It will certainly give me some rpm range to work with in the quarter when I start putting more boost to her.
After some 1/4 mile testing with the 3.42s, I will re-evaluate the torque converter.

Another change in torque in convertors !!!!!! don I can tell you when you take gear out and turn power up that 18-20 % tight convertor that you got is going to get a LOT worse. Why not throw the Neil Chance back in after all you did tell me that you had a LOT of money tied up in that convertor. Cant you "just" adjust the nitrous to make it work, you told me at one point that with the nitrous you could use one converter " A TIGHT ONE and adjust the nitrous to what ever stall you want "I can find the post if you would like me too". Can you explaine to us why you keep changing convertors ????????

Tony, you don't need me to answer your questions. You already have it all figured out.

After recalculating with the new 1/4 mile timeslip data, 17% slippage on the top end, still using 6% for tire growth.