.223/.556

Dreamn4GN

Im sure their has been a bunch of debate with the two. But Ive heard they are the same round, I hear they are similar, but different. So what the hell is it? Can't use .556 in a .223 chambered gun? .556 has more of a punch/kick/whatever you want to call it then .223? Whats the deal with the two?

A gun that is chambered in 5.56 can shoot both no problems....
a .223 cannot shoot 5.56 for very long.It make screw up on the first round maybe the 1000th round its to unsafe to say...

5.56 is the military spec round with more powder.the case is also just a hair bigger.

They are really close both are .223 or .224 i believe the .223 has a slightly smaller casing and has lower pressure. The 5.56 has a slightly larger case and is much higher pressure. The chamber for a 5.56 is slightly bigger. Sorry too many slightly's in there.

If your getting a rifle specifically chambered in .223 stick with that . But if your buying an m-4 5.56 will shoot either just cost of ammo.

gnpoweredrail said:
A gun that is chambered in 5.56 can shoot both no problems....
a .223 cannot shoot 5.56 for very long.It make screw up on the first round maybe the 1000th round its to unsafe to say...

5.56 is the military spec round with more powder.the case is also just a hair bigger.

I shoot both out of mine and no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

There's a write up i read about this years ago on ar15.com i believe. Very minor differences in the round's load and he chamber. There's a dimensional difference of a few mils (thousandths) in the chamber that causes major differences in pressure. Like others have said, shoot either in a rifle chambered for 5.56 NATO; shoot only .223 Rems in a .223 Rem chamber. Putting 5.56 ammo in a .223 chamber will run too much boost and you don't want to blow head gasket on a rifle!!!

Yeah I knew .556 had to pack more of a punch or a boom. bc that thing on my AR with no muzzle break or flash hider is prety badass if you ask me. You guys are telling me what i already thought. So thats good, I wasnt telling bullshit to my buddies at the bar. I think Im going to hold onto the .556 ammo tho, supposedly its some good stuff I got, Ill wait for the .223 remington bulk to sling around

Definitely want to hang on to the ammo. The last 1000 rounds of .223 I saw sold on Gunbroker for over $1000.

My current AR build is using a WOA barrel with a .223 Wylde chamber which is maximized for both .223 and 5.56. :)

Definitely want to hang on to the ammo. The last 1000 rounds of .223 I saw sold on Gunbroker for over $1000.

My current AR build is using a WOA barrel with a .223 Wylde chamber which is maximized for both .223 and 5.56. :)
Damn, 1000bucks??? Was it some kind of high grade ammo? I picked up 800 rds of .223 for 260 bucks from cabelas. Its funny only majority of ammo available is .40 Love my glock23

I HATE this question. I sell guns for a living now that I am retired from full time work. I get so tired of answering this question. The techno geeks say it is unsafe and that the rounds are different, Yes and Yes BUT it is like saying Can I blow a head gasket at 14 lbs boost. Yes, but highly unlikely. There are very minor dimensional differnences in the 2 rounds but the issue is that 5.56 is military and they make their cases thicker to hold up to full auto use. They also make the chamber a tad looser so it will chamber and continue to shoot when it gets real hot (and swells) after sustained fire. That means IF you shoot a 5.56 in a 223 chamber, the case cannot expand quite as much and WILL create more chamber pressure. But the issue is these damn guns are built and pressure tested at close to 3 times the normal pressure so that little bit of extra pressure doesn't mean a damn. I shot comprtition with M1A's and AR's for MANY years and used 7.62 AND .308 in the M1A and .223 and 5.56 in the AR with only one problem and that wasn't a danger problem. My M1A had a tight match chamber and I was in a match called Rattle Battle at the Highpower Nationals in Camp Perry. We were issued US Lake City ball 7.62 and the match was several hundred rounds as quick as you wanted to shoot them starting at 600 yds, then 500 then 400 etc. About half way through my tight chamber expanded to where the GI rounds would NOT chamber in the gun. Had nothing to do with dangerous high pressure. I know I will catch crap fpr this post but real life is real life. YES they are different and will create more chamber pressure but I have never seen anyone able to document a case where it blew up a gun. Another issue is that some of the guns these days are marked 5.56 and some .223 and some BOTH. Problem is that some manufacturers cut their chambers to the slightly bigger 5.56 but mark the gun .223. ALSO remember the receiver markings have nothing to do with the barrel where the chamber is. We had a Colt .223 AR but it came from the factory chambered for 7.62 39 (AK stuff) and some manufacturers mark their barrels and some don't. So if you have an off brand gun, who made the barrel on that Spikes AR lower and what did they cut the chamber to??
So bottom line is Yes they are different but........

tlturbo said:
I HATE this question. I sell guns for a living now that I am retired from full time work. I get so tired of answering this question. The techno geeks say it is unsafe and that the rounds are different, Yes and Yes BUT it is like saying Can I blow a head gasket at 14 lbs boost. Yes, but highly unlikely. There are very minor dimensional differnences in the 2 rounds but the issue is that 5.56 is military and they make their cases thicker to hold up to full auto use. They also make the chamber a tad looser so it will chamber and continue to shoot when it gets real hot (and swells) after sustained fire. That means IF you shoot a 5.56 in a 223 chamber, the case cannot expand quite as much and WILL create more chamber pressure. But the issue is these damn guns are built and pressure tested at close to 3 times the normal pressure so that little bit of extra pressure doesn't mean a damn. I shot comprtition with M1A's and AR's for MANY years and used 7.62 AND .308 in the M1A and .223 and 5.56 in the AR with only one problem and that wasn't a danger problem. My M1A had a tight match chamber and I was in a match called Rattle Battle at the Highpower Nationals in Camp Perry. We were issued US Lake City ball 7.62 and the match was several hundred rounds as quick as you wanted to shoot them starting at 600 yds, then 500 then 400 etc. About half way through my tight chamber expanded to where the GI rounds would NOT chamber in the gun. Had nothing to do with dangerous high pressure. I know I will catch crap fpr this post but real life is real life. YES they are different and will create more chamber pressure but I have never seen anyone able to document a case where it blew up a gun. Another issue is that some of the guns these days are marked 5.56 and some .223 and some BOTH. Problem is that some manufacturers cut their chambers to the slightly bigger 5.56 but mark the gun .223. ALSO remember the receiver markings have nothing to do with the barrel where the chamber is. We had a Colt .223 AR but it came from the factory chambered for 7.62 39 (AK stuff) and some manufacturers mark their barrels and some don't. So if you have an off brand gun, who made the barrel on that Spikes AR lower and what did they cut the chamber to??
So bottom line is Yes they are different but........

I know it's a topic blown to shit like what oil to use. But had some debate with some of my buddy's. and just wanted some clarification. Only dumb question , is the one you don't ask

SO TRUE. I even have other sales associates (who read it somewhere) that tell customers NO WAY can you do it. I finally gave up trying to explain it to them, Especially when one of your fellow firearms associates ask me WHAT is an OVER/UNDER? DOOH??

Great posts already but generall rule, You can shoot both out of a 5.56 barrell... Only 223 out of a 223 barrell....

They do that to protect themselves... Kinda like Buick not putting an adj boost gauge on!

Great posts already but generall rule, You can shoot both out of a 5.56 barrell... Only 223 out of a 223 barrell....

They do that to protect themselves... Kinda like Buick not putting an adj boost gauge on!
Roger that, I only have one rifle in .556 so I wont have a problem mixing things up. I am looking into a long range rifle for my next purchase. Any suggestions?? I liked the Savage 110 FCP HS. Any opinions on that?

I am looking into a long range rifle for my next purchase. Any suggestions?? I liked the Savage 110 FCP HS. Any opinions on that?

No first hand experience, but I am told the Savage is a really nice gun. Much less expensive than an Armalite AR-30.
I also just noticed the Savage now comes in a left hand version. I might have to look into that.
I could use something with a little less power. :)

IF you don't mind having a bolt gun, get a Rem 700P in 308. I'm leanimg for the LTR (light tactical rifle) with the 20 inch barrel for convemience of size but regular 700P has a 26 I believe. They are hard to find but are on the Rem Tactical page. Has H&S aluminum block stock NOT the Hogue overmold. Shoots close to 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds with Federal 169 Match ammo. I also am looking at a DPMS 308 LR with S/S barrel but they are SCARCE. Depends on if you want a semi or bolt gun. The Savage are good guns too but I've read so many good things about that 700P. They can be found for under $1000 just gotta look around.

Check this out
http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700pltr.htm

tlturbo said:
IF you don't mind having a bolt gun, get a Rem 700P in 308. I'm leanimg for the LTR (light tactical rifle) with the 20 inch barrel for convemience of size but regular 700P has a 26 I believe. They are hard to find but are on the Rem Tactical page. Has H&S aluminum block stock NOT the Hogue overmold. Shoots close to 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds with Federal 169 Match ammo. I also am looking at a DPMS 308 LR with S/S barrel but they are SCARCE. Depends on if you want a semi or bolt gun. The Savage are good guns too but I've read so many good things about that 700P. They can be found for under $1000 just gotta look around.

Check this out
http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700pltr.htm

I'd like a nice bolt gun. I seem some 700 .308's forsale. Not the tactical version but, I'd like to have a dual purpose gun. Shoot long range and use it for hunting as well