22-23 PSI on the Stock Turbo and e85

SlyPSI

I'm planing on doing the swap to e85 sometime soon. I've got a set of 60# injectors already and was planning to use them with a TurboTweak e85 chip. The rest of the fuel system will consist of a Walbro 340, hotwire, and adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I'll have a Scanmaster to monitor O2's and knock. Other mods include a Hooker exhaust, and K&N, soon to be replaced with a Big Mouth Cold Air Kit. Also planning to add a 3" downpipe, a 3" up pipe, RJC Power Plate, and possibly a Dutt. neck.

I'm wanting to run about 21-23 pounds of boost with the stock turbo and intercooler. So my question is can I safely do this with the 60# injectors with the combo of parts listed above? What's the injector duty cycle likely to be at this power level on e85?

Anybody with any similar combos have any ET/MPH or dyno numbers to share?

Thanks.

i am runnig 23psi on e-85 with a te45a turbo and 75's
if i turn it up to 25 my duty cycle is at 100%
hope this is some help
i think you'd be good being my turbo flows a lot more that your stocker would
-dan

No issues with that much boost, just watch knock and AFR. You should be somewhere around 65-70% dc.

I would think might as well get bigger injectors now so you're set for some future improvements

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I may go with the 60's for now. (I already have them.) I was just on the TurboTweak website and noticed where he says about the 60# injectors "Good for cars from stock down to 10.50's in the 1/4 on race gas, or down to around low 11's on E85 (maybe faster)." I'm really only looking to go high 11's for now.

Personally, I was thinking that the 60's probably wouldn't go over 85% (if it even went that high) duty cycle on e85 and this combo, but I could easily be wrong. Any more thoughts on this?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I may go with the 60's for now. (I already have them.) I was just on the TurboTweak website and noticed where he says about the 60# injectors "Good for cars from stock down to 10.50's in the 1/4 on race gas, or down to around low 11's on E85 (maybe faster)." I'm really only looking to go high 11's for now.

Personally, I was thinking that the 60's probably wouldn't go over 85% (if it even went that high) duty cycle on e85 and this combo, but I could easily be wrong. Any more thoughts on this?

You should be fine with the 60's. DC will be over 85% if you are going to be going 113mph or more at 3600lbs or more. No problem till you want to go faster. Low 11's would be a stretch and the car would have to 60' really well or be light and be run on the edge to go that fast with the 60's/E85

Running 21-22 psi and injector duty cycle high 90's to low 100's I was able to crank out the time in my signature. Now, granted my A/F ratio was 12:1 at some points (not one instance of knock) so my fuel system is maxed. I would love to get a 10.9X out of it but I don't think the 60's are going to cut it. :D

I suppose I should give a little update.

As of about one month, I now have the Buick running on E-85 with a Walbro 340, Racetronix Hotwire, Accufab AFPR, Mototron 60# injectors and a TurboTweak Street E-85 (100%) chip written for 20-23 PSI, 23*/21* timing.

The rest of the mods are K&N round filter, Hooker cat back with a test pipe welded to the stock downpipe (no dump,) RJC Powerplate, Scanmaster, VDO rail mount fuel pressure gauge, and a Auto Meter boost gauge. O2 sensor is a AC Delco.

Boost is controlled by a JoeP Pro Z series manual boost controller, and a adjustable wastegate actuator set to about 11 PSI, just enough to hold tension on the flapper.

I worked my way up from the 11 PSI initial to 20 PSI fairly quick with some street tuning. My stock trans was working great for the first few lower boost WOT runs, but it degraded quickly. 15-20 or so WOT runs later and it now slips into 2nd and 3rd. Oh well.

The O2's in 3rd at WOT on 19-20 PSI are around .730-.740, usually with no knock retard, but I have seen around 2* a couple of times, but that could be due to the slipping trans, or the fact that I still have the original and worn out valve springs. New Kirbans springs are sitting in the box awaiting install. The 02's seem a little low to me. Aren't the target 02's still the same for E-85 as for regular fuels? I'm planing to put Auto Meter wide band and fuel pressure gauges in the car soon.

I installed the actuator and controller after I drove it a little on the stock actuator. I got about 15 PSI on the stock actuator after I installed the chip, and the car felt a lot stronger with just the chip and injectors on E-85. I kinda feel like that could be a fun combo by itself for a while.

But the car cranks right up and runs smoother than it ever has before, drives better, has better throttle response, a lot less lag, and is actually a tad bit quieter than before. There is definitely a little less drone going down the highway at 60-65 MPH. It breaks the tire (no posi, new 30 spline Eaton sitting here waiting for axles) loose with ease. No ET/MPH numbers yet due to the trans, but it sure does feel quick.:biggrin:

Overall it's a ton of fun, and I would definitely do it again.:biggrin:

My car Always pulled harder when is was richer .730-.740 is pretty lean even for an Alky car. When I ran alky .780s with e85 810-820s. E85 makes more power being richer.my wideband is always around 10.8 , not sure what .730-.740 is on wideband but maybe around 13-14?See how it feels with more fuel in it . Just a thought I know my car likes it being richer on e85:cool:

Thanks for the info. :cool:

I've been thinking I need to add more fuel in the WOT parameter. On the TurboTweak chips is there any general rule of thumb as to how many percent of adjustment would typically equal about .10 mv's on the Scanmaster?

The O2's stayed between .770-.780 around 17-18 PSI, and they were in the .790-.810 range at 15-17 PSI if I remember correctly.

I have Had nothing but problems with the walbro intank pumps this is how I see it , it takes 30% more fueling to run e85 the walbro pumps can only take that for so long . I had a brand new Racetronix pump that ran great for 6 months but if I watched the fuel pressure gauge the pressure would
drop litle by little wideband numbers would go up then I would add more fuel . I went through 3 pumps already , so just make sure you have fuel pressure needed and watch the pump start to lay down . Maybe your one of the lucky ones with a good pump some guys have ran the same intank pump with e85 for years.Thats why I am in the middle changing my fuel system now.You should be ok just watch fuel pressure and O2s

I have Had nothing but problems with the walbro intank pumps this is how I see it , it takes 30% more fueling to run e85 the walbro pumps can only take that for so long . I had a brand new Racetronix pump that ran great for 6 months but if I watched the fuel pressure gauge the pressure would
drop litle by little wideband numbers would go up then I would add more fuel . I went through 3 pumps already , so just make sure you have fuel pressure needed and watch the pump start to lay down . Maybe your one of the lucky ones with a good pump some guys have ran the same intank pump with e85 for years.Thats why I am in the middle changing my fuel system now.You should be ok just watch fuel pressure and O2s

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I've been running E-85 in the White car for years with the Kirban's in tank replacement pump that the previous owner installed and hotwired. Grant it I'm only running a stock turbo type setup but even so I was able to run the 83s at about 70% dc with no problems. Thats about all that stock turbo would do at about 23-24psi.

The GN already has a NOS external pump that I call the dragster pump..LOL I've haven't driven the car enough to see what will happen. That car has the 61 so I see me maxing the fuel system out fairly quickly. I'll probably jump to the 120s at that point and upgrade the whole damn fuel system and be done with it :biggrin:

Did you run the 83s and the TA61 with a intank pump? What was the duty cycle and what were your boost settings?Oh also Pm sent bsdlinux