2005 Grand National

Dan Thompson

Just dreaming

What do you think our cars would look like now if GM had kept making them?

What would the GN look like if someone had the money to let Chip Foose Design do whatever he wanted to do.

The new GN would look just like a late model Regal with some cheesy ground effects. I wonder at the intellect of anyone who would argue with that. I've lived in fear of them doing that to the GN name.....and f-ing it up like they did the GTO (my opinion). Besides, now that they've given the Regal the ax, we probably have a little less to worry about in that department.....unless....dare I say it?......

Introducing the all new 2006 Buick LaCrosse Grand National.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

...oh, the humanity.

dceptcn I completely agree with you. It would be some ***** new 3800 with 4 lbs of SUPERCHARGED BOOST. It would probably look like a century or monte.

hey..nothing wrong with the 3800...the motor has potential
FWD is the problem
3800 is way better than any LS1...LS6..LSbull****

the 3800's just a descencdant of the Buick 3.8L, nothing against it. Hell, it still produces nearly as much power as an 4rd 5.0 motor, and it's figures are consistent with an older 305! That's not too shabby in my book. I've always been curious to see what someone would do with one of those 3.8L Camaros out there, seems like it'd be a decent place to start. Big question in my book is what did they cheapen down. If I were running a full 15 PSI, the old style "steel plate" pistons would have to come back. I would definitely inspect the rods, see if the good design of the 3.8L remains. Stick a 4.3L Chevy and a 3.8L rods side by side, you'll see what I'm talking about, no comparison. Enginewise I'd end up looking at the 10 second Grand Prix that was on the board a long while back.
http://www.intense-racing.com/sponsor.html
Here are some 11 sec stock shortblock 3800s, not bad at all in my book and it speaks that the 3800's still got the potential it's older 3.8 father does. A stiffer block then the 3.8 would definitely be a plus to me honestly, something that'd take 6-700 horse without needing a girdle. Maybe do something *really* radical and throw a set of heads similar to an eccotec's on there, really spice things up. Should be able to get insane performance with the kinda flow something like that would provide. Team it up with a *built* (Sunshell, billet servo, and so on the whole meal deal) 4L60E and you've got a real winner in my book.

What the GN would look like today? I'd like to see something similar to an early 70s GS rear end wise, mount it on a C6 chassis round it out with the front end styling of say a 280-ZX front end with the characteristic hood scoop. Stick with either an earlier GN's wheels or the "T" wheels though. Something that would truly say "bad mother F**ker" if you will. Interior would be either a black or grey dash, probably grey seats power 6 logo in the wheel center (would like a sport wheel, but with air bags it ain't gonna happen) Power would be about 400 flywheel stock, or in tradition of GN/corfette relations 450 rated at 400. :D Someone photoshop me a prototype and we'll mail it to GM as a "community service"

Originally posted by DCEPTCN
The new GN would look just like a late model Regal with some cheesy ground effects. I wonder at the intellect of anyone who would argue with that. I've lived in fear of them doing that to the GN name.....and f-ing it up like they did the GTO (my opinion). Besides, now that they've given the Regal the ax, we probably have a little less to worry about in that department.....unless....dare I say it?......

Introducing the all new 2006 Buick LaCrosse Grand National.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

...oh, the humanity.

True, but what was the GN? A Regal with power and cosmetic add-ons! That is what the new "GTO" is, a Holden with power and
cosmetic add-ons. Only difference is about 20 years.

I don't think we will ever see another GN, they are just a car of the past, it's not like herpes (reaccuring) unfortunatley:( :(

Originally posted by TurboIndian
I don't think we will ever see another GN, they are just a car of the past, it's not like herpes (reaccuring) unfortunatley:( :(

different way of putting it for sure. I've never heard of a GN providing a burning sensatoin though. :D

Originally posted by Drac0nic
different way of putting it for sure. I've never heard of a GN providing a burning sensatoin though. :D

Unless the sensation of burning rubber qualifies....

But seriously folks during a recent interview some weenie whose name I forgot flat out said the grand national name is dead.:D

I thought I read someplace that GM said the Grand National and GNX names would not come back because of the heritage involved with the name.

i have a park avenue with the supercharged 3.8..i've spent $120 on it and the 4000+lbs. boat is in the 14's..not bad
the series III 3800 is stout, uses alot of forged parts

oh yeah...these motors can put out more than they are rated at..gm cant build a FWD transmission to handle the torque
the engine computer severly limits engine output

just out of curiosity any one know if anyone has tried to put the 3800 supergharged engine into a rear wheel drive body, I wounder how fast you could get it to run if you could get a good 60' ?:confused:

Originally posted by TurboIndian
just out of curiosity any one know if anyone has tried to put the 3800 supergharged engine into a rear wheel drive body, I wounder how fast you could get it to run if you could get a good 60' ?:confused:

I am seriously thinking of finding a good used blower off of a GTP and mating it to my fiances 3800 in her Camaro. After getting it hooked up I will need to get a new hood to accomodate the blower and things should get interesting.