2004r squeal whine

elcam84

Fired up the car to go for a drive and just making the turn onto the road I hit the gas and I get an immediate squealing/whining sound. It was cold that morning and I didn't let it warm up as long as usual and I drive up a very steep hill before the street.

Put it back in the driveway and did a little diagnosis.

Will make the sound in drive but only under throttle at decent RPMs

Will make the sound in neutral at roughly same RPMs

I pulled the pan and it's perfectly clean and the trans only has 5K on it or so (rarely driven till lately). Everything looked good in the pan and the pressure regular valve train moved fine when I pushed it with a screwdriver.

I'm suspecting that a pump ring broke. Doesn't seem like a converter prob at all. Though I could use a better stall converter. I wonder if the cold fluid and the steep hill caused me to suck in some air and broke the rings.

Planning on pulling the trans tomorrow as it's going to be near 70 the next two days. I have a rebuilt pump to swap out with just have to put the boost valves in it.

Oh the trans is built by a somewhat known rebuilder though I wouldn't use them again. There were issues on the outside that make me wonder about what's inside...

Well to update...

Pulled the trans. Pulled the pump. A couple vanes were ugly as in pitted but I doubt they were new when the trans was built.

I also found that the plunger in the TV boost valve was installed backwards... Not good...

Put back together with a known good pump and same noise. No slippage at all. The trans just won't let the engine rev and pull.

The sound is like a sprag squeaking. The converter sprag felt like it was working but that was only a by hand check. I think it's slipping once the engine revs up.

The trans still looks like new everywhere so I think I'm going to order a converter and swap it out. Even though everything I have been taught and read says that since the sound is there while in neutral and in gear that is shouldn't be a bad converter... I always have the exception to the rule problems and ones no one has ever heard of...

I heard the same noise with mine when it was newly rebuilt and was told it was a little clutch material causing that noise. So i flushed the fluid and it went away.

Was yet another hard parts breakage. Not sure if I'm going to pull it to repair it or get a rebuilt from a local shop or.. This 2004r is behind a mostly stock 305 TPI and I have been through 3 of them all from decent builders all with the same hard parts breakage. I may put a 700r4 in as I have never had a major problem with them and they have never cost me $1 per mile like 2004r ownership.

That or I have been looking at just getting some sort of LS engine for it as a whole LS drivetrain is less than even a stock rebuilt 2004r...

I have learned my lesson finally with 2004rs if you don't build it yourself and don't get the HP aftermarket internals it won't even hold up behind a mild 305... And I really don't want to build another trans cause I don't really like doing it though I can. (ase master tech)

Something is not going together right. I have a Raybestos Blue clutch rebuild, Wide red band and a billet forward drum in my homebuilt 2004R and it is going on over a year in my GN. Before that, it was an 8 year old Lonnie Diers build. I have put together 200's with only hardened forward drums and they live just fine. What broke in yours?

Was yet another hard parts breakage. Not sure if I'm going to pull it to repair it or get a rebuilt from a local shop or.. This 2004r is behind a mostly stock 305 TPI and I have been through 3 of them all from decent builders all with the same hard parts breakage. I may put a 700r4 in as I have never had a major problem with them and they have never cost me $1 per mile like 2004r ownership.

That or I have been looking at just getting some sort of LS engine for it as a whole LS drivetrain is less than even a stock rebuilt 2004r...

I have learned my lesson finally with 2004rs if you don't build it yourself and don't get the HP aftermarket internals it won't even hold up behind a mild 305... And I really don't want to build another trans cause I don't really like doing it though I can. (ase master tech)

Well my first 2004r had something break and destroyed the whole trans. Not sure what happened.

My second I had built by a local builder and one day pulling out of the driveway and starting to feather into the gas and go up the hill it flat broke. Wouldn't even roll in neutral. My driveway is very steep and would have taken a tow truck to get it back up so... I tried to go in reverse and no go. I ended up going full throttle in reverse and I finally got it moving and up the driveway. Tore it apart and found the low reverse sprag and sprag race blew up.

My third from Monster motorsports... Wasn't a bad deal for what it was supposed to be. Right off the start the wiring harness inside was plugged into the case connector 90* off and grounding the TCC feed wire and blowing the fuse when I tried to start.
They didn't replace the TCC solenoid as it still had the stock one... The manual shift seal was not replaced and ended up leaking...

Now the trans has worked fine till the latest breakage. Perfect fluid color etc. I pulled the pump thinking it might be a broken pump ring and it was fine though the pump rotor and slide are too thick... They stick out of the pump housing instead of being down in the hole. Also the TV boost valve plunger was installed upside down and probably the cause of my pretty firm shifts.

Anyway the sound sounds like a sprag slipping. I'm going to pull the front pump and see if the overdrive sprag is trashed. If it is I'll swap it out and see what happens. I can put it in gear and rev it and the noise starts at high revs in and out of gear. 1st holds fine up until high load or RPMs. All others squeal like a slipping sprag too. It is slipping in gear too which all leads me to thinking the sprag is failing cause of the noise and symptoms.

I like the 2004r but the only way I have found to get a good one is to build it myself.

Once on the bench, you might as well pull the whole thing down. Make sure they didn't put something else together wrong. Def not the 200s fault. 700R4 isn't the answer, IMO the 200 is a much better trans.

Well I pulled the pump off and the input shaft. All looks good and the roller clutch feels fine. I haven't taken it apart to look at the surface of the rollers etc yet. I know it won't be as simple as a bad OD roller clutch up front cause it's way too easy to fix if it is.