2004R Can it be done?

mrstage1

Hi guys. I'm building a tube chassis'd 10.5w car for the street and strip. Since lots of the advice I've gotten for my turbo car from this board has been spot on I figured I'd try some trans experts with an out of the box question I've been mulling lately.

See if you can help: I need to know if the expert trans guys on here think a 200 will live behind an 850hp Big Block Buick in a 2650 lb car w/driver. My problem is with RPM or lack thereof. I don't like to spin the motor past 6 grand when I'm spraying it and in order to make it across the line in excess of 150mph the car will need a tall gear to make it at that relatively low RPM. I think a 200 would be great for what I intend to do with the car(Drag Week???) but WILL IT LIVE if the car is light enough? I see GN's in the mid 9's at 3400 plus pounds running 200's and think a car lighter by 800lbs would stress the trans way less. I don't mind freshening the trans every year one bit. I normally do this stuff anyway on my current turbo 400.

Well that's my question. Maybe I can take a 200 into the 8's. Tranny guys let me know your thoughts and maybe even throw out a price to build a unit that'll get the job done.

Ask this guy who's trans he is running and what luck he has had.

I dunno, I hear that those Drag Week guys are a buch of pansies:eek: :D

Brian, that car is still kicking ass!!! Great to see even at that weight it works excellent!!

Brian Rock
ran that tour and car ran flawlessly.
That is a testimonial!!!!:biggrin:

Bruce
WE4
Performance Transmission Services

The first problem at that power level is the ratios are not appropriate for drag racing.too much starting line ratio is counterproductive to most high powered cars with 10.5 inchers.The second problem is not the input shaft ,od carrier,fwd drum or ring gear ,theyll take the hit .it is the direct clutch capacity.not enough for 650 plus hp over 3400 lbs.the weight of your car dictates numerically lower ratios for maximum traction and et.next is the output shaft.we are testing things here ,the 9s kill it with 700 plus lbs foot.we do make it out of billet but its expensive.its a poor choice for that car ,even if the directs were fixed.we are working on a drum now but thats not ready yet.

SAve your money, put a GV on the 400 if you need an rpm drop.

I knew I could count on some solid tech from you guys.

The 200 thing was an idea I was playing with to make it a total highway cruiser along with the dragstrip thing. I had my reservations about trying it but I had to ask.

Norb, I'd go with a GV unit but I'm already using a power eating sumbuck of a trans as it is. Adding a GV would add to the RWHP losses even more, along with increasing the weight of the trans assembly. I have a Lenco available to me so just I'm gonna bite the cash bullet and go with that since the 200 would've been a one year only experiment. I'll run it with a clutch this year and add a Bruno or Torque Link to the front next year so that my next motor, a twin turbo Aluminum blocked 550 incher, will have a very cooperative partner with which to create havoc on the the highways and byways.