2004r behind 455 Olds

vista461

I have an 85 Monte SS 2004r and would like to use it in my 64 Cutlass with a mild 455. Assuming it's in good shape, would it hold up to street driving and the occasional trip down the strip w/o slicks? I would guesstimate the engine making 350 or so hp and around 500 lb/ft of torque. I am running a 3.42 gear.
If it's not up to the task, what's the minimum upgrades it would need. I am on a fairly tight budget.

Thanks!

I broke 5 (200r4) before i figured out it cant take it, any way a 350 th will go in will almost no problems.

I have a BRF one in a Olds wagon with a 455 no problem :cool:

Attachments

• MVC-041S.JPG
    MVC-041S.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 397
Wow I had a Vista just like that, still have the shell and some interior parts:) . Is your BRF stock or built up?

IMO Either a 700r4/4l60e or 200 r4 fully built with all the best crap is limited to about 600 HP give or take. Some people say other wise but most Turbo regal guys go to the TH400 at 600 plus HP.
The built high power LSI guys around here have swapped over to the 4l80e due to the full built 4l60e's not holding up. They have purchased them from all over the country and none hold up.

The 2004r would be the better choice due to the closer gear ratios and deepest OD.
Definetly going to need a built better than stock one for 500 ft lbs

It was a stocker with an Art Carr shift kit with a stock GN converter.. Converter is a little to much for it now but it's prob goin to get modified a little so he should grow into it :p

Speaking of Olds

A good friend of mine has an 88 Olds Cutlass (G body). He had a BUILT 455 Olds in it with a fully built 200R4 and a Precision Multi disc. BTW, this is a Bonneville Salt Flat car. We carried it 1750 miles (one way)to the flats a couple years ago and made a few runs before it dropped a Mondello valve. He bought a GM crate 572 --720 BB Chevy. I believe he has @ least 12-15 runs down the salt flats with the 200R4. I don't know what torque the 572 puts out but the 200R4 is holding up. Granted there is no launch involved @ the flats. Some where on the net is some video of his car. Maybe my son will chime in and post a link.

[YOUTUBE] <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B3eEWJAvmZ4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B3eEWJAvmZ4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object> [/YOUTUBE]