$2,000 in mods GN vs. $2000 in mods SRT-4???

Grand National all the way. you can get parts semi used and a hell of alot cheaper from this site, not to mention there are way more parts for the GN. Srt-4 owners still probably get raped on the prices on new performance parts. I don't think $2,000 can buy to many killer mods for the Srt-4. But if there are any Str-4s still around when they turn 18, look out.

Crotch rocket would beat them both with a turbo kit and NAWZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!11!!11!!

lol

GN would win,

87' Buick Grand National

TE60 Used - 500
3.5" Downpipe, 3" cat,3" exhaust - 700
Intake - 100
injectors and fuel pump. 400
10.5" Slicks - 300

475rwhp/525lbs/tq @ 26psi of boost and c16 Race gas.
11.2s @ 119-122mph

04' Dodge SRT-4

Stage II w/o toys - 800
Turbo back 3" Exhaust - 850
cold air intake - 250
NGK wires/Plugs - 90

295whp/290lbs/tq @ 18psi of boost and c16 race gas.
13.3-13.4 @ 107-108mph

Grand National Wins.

Originally posted by 87grandnational
Crotch rocket would beat them both with a turbo kit and NAWZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!11!!11!!

lol

GN would win,

87' Buick Grand National

TE60 Used - 500
3.5" Downpipe, 3" cat,3" exhaust - 700
Intake - 100
injectors and fuel pump. 400
10.5" Slicks - 300

475rwhp/525lbs/tq @ 26psi of boost and c16 Race gas.
11.2s @ 119-122mph

04' Dodge SRT-4

Stage II w/o toys - 800
Turbo back 3" Exhaust - 850
cold air intake - 250
NGK wires/Plugs - 90

295whp/290lbs/tq @ 18psi of boost and c16 race gas.
13.3-13.4 @ 107-108mph

Grand National Wins.

SRT with those mods should be in the 12s, high 12s which is still much much behind the gn, but i dont think 13.4 is fair to say since there have been some factory freaks with awesome drivers putting stock srts at 13.6-7. Rare, but its happened. I think youd be faster (not necessarily more reliable) to go this route with the srt.

Stage 1 - 300 (less if used)
full maxx fab exhaust w/ dp & 3" o2 - 750
AGP WGA - 150
Injectors - 400
Iceman intake & TB - 500

Now, if you are just trying to win a single race, substitute the intake and tb for nitrous at the same price and I believe we are at like 2100 and you should be *low 12s or better. Just a thought.

*I have never been to a track in my life and do not study track times so this is the roughest estimate known to man! Could be close, could be high, could be low. We have plenty of people in the 11s, but the fastest ive seen is 11.12 and im positive its got more than 2k in it!

bottom line, gn still wins!

Originally posted by kshef
:rolleyes: :D

I think it's a stupid comparison because they are on opposite sides of the spectrum. I would hope the parts would be alot cheaper for a car 17-18 years old. Plus the SRT-4 hasn't been out on the market long.

Give me an 89 Mustang GT that came with factory forged pistons(89-92) and I would run down any GN that has 2K in mods if I spent 2K or less. Those 2 are from the same era. I'm not a foxbody fan, but the mods are cheap and I can think of about 20+ sets of heads readily available for them not to mention poweradders.

Oh well, it was fun to think about for a sec :D but Id be careful if you post something like this over on srtforums, some forums over there they will just flame you forever and you will get nowhere. I am certain there are people there who know about GNs, but not enough to go asking questions like that, especially when you already know the answer, so unless you are trying to fight a flame war, dont post! they will "drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

Re: Re: $2,000 in mods GN vs. $2000 in mods SRT-4???

[/QUOTE]
Give me an 89 Mustang GT that came with factory forged pistons(89-92) and I would run down any GN that has 2K in mods if I spent 2K or less. Those 2 are from the same era. I'm not a foxbody fan, but the mods are cheap and I can think of about 20+ sets of heads readily available for them not to mention poweradders. [/B][/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

Re: Re: $2,000 in mods GN vs. $2000 in mods SRT-4???

Originally posted by Marc87GN
I think it's a stupid comparison because they are on opposite sides of the spectrum. I would hope the parts would be alot cheaper for a car 17-18 years old. Plus the SRT-4 hasn't been out on the market long.

Give me an 89 Mustang GT that came with factory forged pistons(89-92) and I would run down any GN that has 2K in mods if I spent 2K or less. Those 2 are from the same era. I'm not a foxbody fan, but the mods are cheap and I can think of about 20+ sets of heads readily available for them not to mention poweradders.

While I agree the old 5.0s are cheap to mod, I don't think they can hang with a GN with the same $$ in mods. There might be a lot of different heads out there for them but that's half the mod money right there. I had a friend with a heads/cam/intake, etc, over $2000 in mods and it couldn't hang or even come close to my 84 GN with about the same in mods. Just a blower alone will put it past the $2000 point. Nitrous is it's only hope and of course you can run nitrous on the GN too. Still, I miss the old 5.0s, never see them anymore.

Re: Re: Re: $2,000 in mods GN vs. $2000 in mods SRT-4???

Originally posted by cool 84
While I agree the old 5.0s are cheap to mod, I don't think they can hang with a GN with the same $$ in mods. There might be a lot of different heads out there for them but that's half the mod money right there. I had a friend with a heads/cam/intake, etc, over $2000 in mods and it couldn't hang or even come close to my 84 GN with about the same in mods. Just a blower alone will put it past the $2000 point. Nitrous is it's only hope and of course you can run nitrous on the GN too. Still, I miss the old 5.0s, never see them anymore.

I don't see them that much either. I don't see any fast GNs on Long Island where I am either. I was on the streets with my turbocharged GT for 3 years and only ran into one GN on the way to the shootout at Atco. I was killing Z28s and Vettes left and right, but never found a race with a GN in NY. I bought one because I always wanted one & I rarely see more than a few per year.

These differences of opinion will never die and no one is wrong or right. I didn't care how much I spent because it was all worth it when I pulled on a Z06 all the way to 150 mph. If you think a V6 turbo is nasty, sit behind a V8 with a T-76 under the hood.

I own both and can safely say the GN will come out on top.

Biggest problem i've had with the SRT is launching it. FWD makes it difficult at best.

The GN with 275 50's will rip yer head off.

Originally posted by DJay

Biggest problem i've had with the SRT is launching it. FWD makes it difficult at best.

I mean this in the nicest way...but I hate you!!! In a purely envious fashion. Granted I have the SRT, but to have both that and an 87 GN would just be too dad gum cool! Throw in a lightning and I would be content with my accomplishments on this earth!:D Anyway, this thread was over when it started, but I just wanted to compliment you!

I think you are asumming alot here. Not everyone with a G.N. knows how to tweak and tune them. You get an idiot that has no idea what the heck he is doing and he could embarass the whole turbo Buick community.My son's F.W.D. Talon with not much done to it at all smacked a local dimwit around pretty good. From a standing start and a roll. Personally I like the Turbo Buicks but they don't win everytime just because they are Turbo Buicks.

I didn't answer that the GN would take the cake solely because it's a GN. I own both, silly. I've put 40K miles on the GN and 20K miles on the SRT. I've studied different avenues of modding both. I've priced out all the options. THIS is why I said that.

Also, the fact that a bad driver can lose in a faster car goes without saying Randy. I remember learning how NOT to launch my car while racing against a pre 03 Cobra. Built too much boost, didn't burn out beforehand and didnt even MOVE til it shifted to 2nd gear. :) The driver isn't in question here, however. The cars are.

The question was 2,000 in mods on each car. I've priced mods for my SRT and invested in mods for my GN. The biggest thing holding the SRT back is it's FWD IMHO. You DO know its RARE for a SRT to break into the 12's dont you? Now that i've given it more thought; there's no CHANCE the SRT could compare. Assuming the 2K was spent on the right stuff. Consider you can really wake up these GNs with about $800 and 4 hours of labor... $2k would be more than enough to take down the SRT.

You DO know its RARE for a SRT to break into the 12's dont you? Now that i've given it more thought; there's no CHANCE the SRT could compare. Assuming the 2K was spent on the right stuff. Consider you can really wake up these GNs with about $800 and 4 hours of labor... $2k would be more than enough to take down the SRT. [/B]
Between me and my two son's we have 2G.N's,2Talons,and a SRT.So I am wll aware of what it takes to make to make these cars perform. On the History Channel last night they put $5000 into a hot air and did you see what a turd that was{14.35}? $5000 miss spent dollars.
My oldest son has a 04 SRTand he put about $1000 in it{ Stage 2 ecm,Buschur exhaust,and a K&N cold air intake} it ran a best of 12.84@105.xx Now with an adjustable boost controller and replumbing the vaccum lines he picked up like 23 horsepower and 30 something foot pounds of torque and traction is now a REAL issue.
I have been involved with Turbo Buicks since 1987 and the $500 {at that time} 12 second tuneup always involved turning up the boost and race gas. The SRT ran 12.84 on 15#of boost and pump gas. So in my opinoin they both respond about the same at THIS level.

The GN wins hands down. I've seen some really quick SRT-4s, and I really think that Dodge is making some of the coolest cars on the road now, but you can have the GN in the low 12's or high 11's for $2000 and have money left over to bet on yourself, as the SRT-4 owner KNOWS he will win.