16"x10" GNX style wheels...

toofastforyou

2FAST4U
I just got my wheels yesterday afternoon and they look great!...Can't wait 'till Monday to mount the tires and install them on the car!...

Here are some pics to compare with a stock GTA "front" wheel which is on the car. :eek: I'll post more when they're installed...:wink:

Thanks,

Claude :D

wheels

Those look nice ,who did your wheels and what did it set you back ? the lip looks good and also do you think you will have any problems with them rubbing? thanks

Thanks guys for your replies...

First, for now I'm going to re-use the tires I had on my 16"x8" wheels as they're almost new. They're M&H's 275-55-R16's. I might go to a bigger size when these will need to be replaced.

Second, I had them done by Jim Lyon at True Design Wheel . Cost was $720 + shipping...

Third, I don't think I should have any rubbing problem as I did some measuring before ordering the wheels. I measured the distance between the frame and the tire, also the rear spacing of the wheels I had before and spoke with Jim to get his opinion and eventually decided that a rear spacing of 4.25" should work .

Claude :smile:

Thanks Scott ...glad you like them! :wink: I think that with these wheels in the back, and the ones I had made for the front (5" wide), the large contrast in appearance between them will give that "skinny-fronts, wide-rears" look. However, to be perfect, I will have to have my fronts modified again because they do not have enough rear spacing and the tire sometimes touches the inner plastic fender liner...Read my other post in the "General Turbo Buick Tech" section entitled "16"x5" GNX style front wheels" about these...
thanks,

Claude.:)

P.S: Does someone know how to move my thread (16"x5" GNX front wheels...) from the "General Turbo Buick Tech" section to this one here?...Thanks.:wink:

Geez, you're going to have a lot of money in these wheels by the time you're done modifying them! But I know the feeling of wanting things to be perfect.

Probably just PM a moderator about moving your thread.

Scott, it's true that it will have cost me quite a big amount of money...But sometimes, you try cutting corners only to find out that you would have been better off doing it right the first time...By this, I mean that for the FRONT wheels, I thought that Jim would cut them apart like he normally does and reinstall the center pieces into new, narrower rims...but instead, he suggested that it would be cheaper just to cut the rim at the back, remove a few inches in width and re-weld the inner edge of the wheel back in place making the wheel narrower. Neither him or me thought of this BUT...it created a new problem by not leaving enough rear spacing, putting the wheel's center too much outwards of the car, making the tire rub occasionally against the plastic inner fender when entering driveways, etc...So to solve this, I'm going to have to send them to Jim again so they can be redone with more rear spacing so the tire will be more "inside" the car...I don't know but maybe if I had sent him some GTA "rears", it probably would have been ok since they are already more "inside" the car... but I had only some "fronts" to work with. I should have asked to trade them with someone for some "rears" and then have them narrowed... :frown:

As for moving the thread, I've already asked "SGRIM" about it...

Claude.:redface:

But sometimes, you try cutting corners only to find out that you would have been better off doing it right the first time...

Haha I've learned that lesson too many times to remember. It's always tempting to come up with "creative" ways to get things done to save some time or to save some money, but it usually doesn't work out.

Here are some pics of the wheels on the car...finally!:D

First and second pics show the wheels on the car...
Third and fourth pics show the clearance between the tire and the frame (right & left)...
Fifth pic shows the clearance between the fender lip and the tire (275-55-16)...

hope you like them!

Claude :smile:

H-A-P-P-Y H-O-L-I-D-A-Y-S !! :biggrin:

2FAST4U,
Sounds like we need to get up a fund to buy you 2 BIG tires so we can see what those wheels look like with the right size tires! How large a tire do you plan to eventually go to? 315???
Conrad

Conrad, I used these tires because I already had them and spent quite a good amount of money for the time being...Like I said in post #5 , I'll probably go to bigger ones when these are worn out...:rolleyes: Yeah...maybe 315's...I dunno yet...
thanks,

Claude :wink:

Claude,
A couple of really good burnouts should just about take care of those little tires.
Conrad

Conrad, I used these tires because I already had them and spent quite a good amount of money for the time being...Like I said in post #5 , I'll probably go to bigger ones when these are worn out...:rolleyes: Yeah...maybe 315's...I dunno yet...
thanks,

Claude :wink:

Just wanted to say how nice they look!!!! I really like the rears. Off the subject, but how did the M&H tires hook??? Just curious

Looks nice, can you take some more side pics from more or a distance than the ones posted

"buttonfly", thanks for the comments!...As for the M&H's, they seem to hook good on the street when compared to Good Year GT II's, but I have never been to the track with them as I use slicks for that...

Claude :)

Looks good. I agree the rears will look even better with bigger tires, but not sure how much room you have for more tire because you're already very close to the frame.

Claude, I love the look of the big & little GTA's! I commend you for doing something different. I do agree with you that maybe it would have been better to go with a "rear" rim for the fronts to pull them in more, but it looks great. And that garage is to die for! Do you actually work in there or just display things ? :eek: :biggrin: How about a pic straight from the rear - I'm curious how the 10's look from the back with just 4.25 backspace? I kind of expected them to stick out the side, but it doesn't look bad at all.