02 sensor + leaded gas: how long will it last?

KillrV6

Former owner
i just filled up w/ 110 for the track next saturday. the drive to the track is about an hour, hour and a half. will my 02 sensor even last me there???

if so, will it last some runs before it starts to fail?

its an AC delco unit.

thanks

probably not....put a new one in at the track (Denso's seem to hold up better and are cheaper)

My AC O2s are good for one time at the track - max of 8 - 10 passes before they are noticeably slower in cross counts. I don't think there is any way I could drive to the track for an hour and have a good O2 when I get there.

DOH!

what is the easy way to change an o2 sensor? last time i changed one it took an hour of tiny 1/4 turns until i got the sucer out. not to mention how hard it was stuck in there.

is there a better way?

where can i get a denso o2, i was planing on replacing
it with one eventually anyways.

i should have just used 104 unleaded :rolleyes:

Get a Denso. When i ran 116 octane with a new AC O2 sensor 4 passes it was done. That was a 15 minute drive to the track also.

think Nick (arizonagn.com) carries the Denso sensors....

they come out a lot easier after you do a few.....

Denso oxygen sensors can be purchased at sparkplug.com.
They are not perfect but will outlast the AC by 10 fold. I am on my 4th one in one year with lots and lots of race fuel running through it's veins...

;)

Take off the turbo heat shield first. If you recently replaced the O2 it will come out much eaiser this time. It takes me about 5 minutes to change one now.

what tool do you guys have best luck with when changing an 02?
for the sensor its self i meen!

thx

i think its a 7/8 inch wrench. they make a socket for them but i have not had much luck with them. also if you can get one of them nifty gear wrenches the correct size it will make it that much easier. i have dont it with a cresent wrench at the track on a HOT car. dont be such a wuss!

Dathan:D

Originally posted by 77tech9
Has anyone ordered the 234-1001 from sparkplugs.com?

They seem to be really cheap.

Yes they are about the cheapest I've found, and very quick to ship as well.

As far as removing the O2, use a midget/short wrench and you can get in there just fine.

Why not change gas at the track, and avoid the long, expensive drive (what's 110 costing you?), that also puts a hurtin' on your O2 sensor?

If you use an O2 sensor compatible anti-seize on the sensor threads and don't go overboard tightening it, it will make life easier.

7/8" open end wrench works just fine.

About the Denso 0-2......

Get one! I have only used them since the first time that I read of them on this sight. I run a 50/50 mix of 110 leaded and 93 unleaded at all times! The Denso usually last me for several months, or approx 2,000 miles! My car does not like Bosch, they maybe last a few weeks. Also, the car seemingly performs better with the Denso. Hope this helps!

So the Densos aren't really "lead proof". I put 5 gallons of C16 in with 8 gals of 100 octane unleaded a few weeks ago at the track. Today the SES light came on....the code? O2 sensor.

I have a Denso in the garage but it sounds like even with the Denso I need to have a spare or two.

Jim

The Denso will outlast the Bosch x 10.

I have used a Bosch at track, and it lasted about 1.5 runs..
Denso, when I only run race gas at track, usually like 3-4 months. And they are only like $12, cheaper then any others.

Originally posted by strikeeagle
7/8" open end wrench works just fine.

Seems simple but it works. Went to Lowes and bought a 7/8" wrench today based on your advice. I've been struggling with an adjustable because the biggest wrench that came with my Craftsman set was 3/4".

I can get that O2 sensor out and in in about 4 minutes, which is good because I plan to ruin a lot of them with leaded fuel :). Thanks for the tip!

Jim

Originally posted by 77tech9
The Denso will outlast the Bosch x 10.

I have used a Bosch at track, and it lasted about 1.5 runs..
Denso, when I only run race gas at track, usually like 3-4 months. And they are only like $12, cheaper then any others.

I've made many runs on Denso's with 110 ,no probs...the import guys have been using them for yrs...that's how i found out about them