head gasket replacement procedures

deadlois

I got the engine apart, and will probaly put it back together tommorow. I am using the steel shim style gaskets, do I use copper sealant or not? Also, do I use thread sealant on all head bolts? Do I attempt to clean up the head, intake area to include the area below the valley pan gasket or is it just wasting my time? If so, how should I clean it? Sorry for so many questions, I just want to make sure I get this right the first time, my knuckes are bleeding on both hands :mad:

Use the spray copper sealant on both sides of the headgasket. Clean the block, heads, and intake manifold with a razor blade and then laquer thinner. It's always a good idea to at least have the heads checked for flatness. When putting the intake back on, I've had better luck using a bead of clear silicone on the ends rather than the rubber gaskets supplied with most intake gasket kits.

For headbolts, I use sealant on all of them, both on the threads and under the head of the bolt. Make sure whatever you're using to lube the bolts, whether it's oil or sealant to get it under the head of the bolt. It makes a huge difference on the actual torque. Most people tighten the heads in 3 steps. I usually do it in 5 steps. With the steel shim gaskets, depending on what bolts you use, you probably don't have to retorque the bolts but it's always a good idea anyway.

thanks cool. When cleaning the block etc with a razor and the lacqer thinner, I need to do everything or just mainly concentrate where all gaskets make contact?

Might want to check else where, but I don't think you are supposed to reuse the original headbolts. Something about a torque to yield issue. Any others heard this?

You are correct. the stock head bolts should be replaced because they strech just a little. besides if you have it apart why not reinstall your heads with a higher performing head bolt like ARP makes. Just my 2 cents. hope that helped.

Regarding bolts: My advice is for you to do a search and "Do your homework".
Some of the experts swear by stock bolts while others swear by ARP bolts and/or studs. They both work very well and it all depends on your goals.

Head Gaskets !!

imjoesnuffy said:
Might want to check else where, but I don't think you are supposed to reuse the original headbolts. Something about a torque to yield issue. Any others heard this?

Yeah you might what to check for proper info !! Only 86-87 head bolts are non-reusable 84-85 head bolts are resuable. With the exception of some very late model 85's which are said to have had 109 blocks.

Boostmaster,

I knew I had heard something about not reusing head bolts. Thanks for clarifying.

Either way you don't really want to reuse 21yr old headbolts. I've had great luck with ARP studs. The newer ones even have an allen head in the top so you can remove the passenger side head in the car.

and one thing about the ARP, it says it highly recommends their moly lube versus oil, what are anyones opinions on this? This week I am gonna clean thoroughly my intake and head surface areas, and get rid of any sludge and whatever else I can remove. Thanks again.

deadlois said:
and one thing about the ARP, it says it highly recommends their moly lube versus oil, what are anyones opinions on this? This week I am gonna clean thoroughly my intake and head surface areas, and get rid of any sludge and whatever else I can remove. Thanks again.

I would use whatever they recommend. They sell a sealer/lube that I use on all the bolts. Usually the torque is different for oil vs ARP lube.