Zero Electrical Power, Heat Fried Battery?

Mercury7

Hoping to gather some dark of night opinions.

87 GN no electrical power at all, nothing, not even a dim light.

Anybody ever had a battery give up the ghost due to a heat wave?
Just from a fast look in the dark by flashlight, all the connections seem same as ever. car showed no electrical issues recently or ever that I'm aware.

Water levels in the battery cells were a little low in some of the cells; but nothing drastic or even anything that looked like a concern. Only odd thing I noticed was that the water in the batter isn't very caustic/acidic to the touch.

Past 2 days have been fairly hot, hovering around high 90s for the bulk of the daylight hours. Car is usually covered, but hasn't been over these past 2 days.

Is it possible the battery really got cooked? I just never ran across that before or even know anybody who has except those in the extreme sunbelt areas of the states.

Previous owner seemed to know next to nothing about the car, so I always presume the worst anytime there's an issue with parts or previous maintenance.

Battery looks to be some type of Die Hard, I'm guessing a fairly cheap one since that's the history of the car that I do know, simple 6-cell battery with 3 cells on each side.

Car hasn't had any starting issues hot or cold weather.
The only "issue" would be that if it doesn't catch and start on that 1st turn of the key; and if you crank it too fast right after, it will labor to turn and catch. But if you just wait a few seconds before turning the ignition, you would never be aware of that at all.

Sorry, I know that the more experts of the bunch will ask for base numbers to get a better idea of the tune. But I don't have a Scanmaster in it.

The only continuing known issue I know of before this is a bad MAF that has been disconnected for several months now.

Will try to give it a simple basic jump start in the next daylight to see if it will at least turn.

Oh, and while on the subject if you specifically recommend a certain replacement battery please sound out on that too.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/opinions.

)

I would just charge the battery and see if it holds charge and go from there - report back here ..:biggrin:

No Electrical Power

Thanks Nova - That's the 1st thing I thought of...Oh No...I didn't really leave the headlights on, did I? But the panel switches to the headlights and parking lights were in off position.

Did the Dome light stay on? I for sure didn't think to consider that.
The doors were closed all the way tight after last time driven; but that might have been daylight hours when parked and I wouldn't have noticed interior lights on.

I guess I'll have a better clue when I get a reading on the battery.

Thanks Nick - Hope that intense summer desert heat hasn't claimed victim to any of your batteries!!

..........Thanks Nick - Hope that intense summer desert heat hasn't claimed victim to any of your batteries!!

We actually do not really buy replacement batteries here, we just rent them based upon their warranty! :cool:

Last I checked, Phoenix has the highest battery warranty replacement of batteries sold than any major city in the country. :D