Your thoughts on TTA's

No trick. I should have said I just bought one and hear neither the Buick or the Pontiac guys care for them. Not that it matters to me, I just was curious.

Really interested if TR owners like the TTA's and if we are welcomed in those circles.

I don't know about the rest of the board, but i think they're neat. They have buickpower. The heads are somewhat different so that the motor fit in between the strut towers i guess, but other than that it's a buick motor. To me it basically has the heart of the GN and is a quick car. Guess i would consider it a cousin to our cars, same family.:)

Well, let's see:
The '89 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am:
1. A tad quicker than the '86-'87 TR'S, don't know how it would fare with the GNX. If I was to have to guess without any data, I would favor the GNX a tad.
2. 4 wheel disc brakes out of the factory
3. handles & corners better than the TR'S
4. No powermaster, maybe a good thing, maybe a bad thing.
5. Interior & fittings too modular for my taste.
6. Maybe not the easiest car to get into and out of.
7. I don't think that it has the cult folowing that the TR'S have.
8. Hardtops are too few, and as a consequence, too pricey.

Buick Turbo Cars:
1. Definitely have a cult following.
2. Well, I don't care if I did have a brain fart, and can't remember all of the reasons that I love the Turbo Buicks. They are my most favorite.
3. They are the class act of the comfortable factory hot rods.

Well, if there's no trick then I guess I would have to say they rock. All the performance of a TR (and I guess maybe a little extra if ya wanna be like that;) ) and it handles! Just plain awesome.

TTAs are bad ass, i don't think i know any Buick owners that don't like TTAs, they are unique and very fast. Nice choice in a car if you as me.

Someday I hope to own one. I think their cool. I had the same color combo on my 79 T/A and I liked that. I love the TB power and combine that with handling and braking is even better.

I love TTA's as my sig can verify - in my opinion if you like sports cars this is the only way to go,one of the best motors ever in a very capeable chassis.

Granted you give up some of the comfort, ride quality, and storage room of a turbo Regal but you gain a 50/50 weight distribution,largest front/rear brakes avalible on a 3rd gen f-body(also same as C4 Vette),and a host of other suspension improvements.

Steve

I thikn the reason they dont have a cult following is beacause of the limited number that were made. Also, as was said before, they came out just a few years too late. Of course most trans am guys dont like them cause they're "just a V6", but most will change their tune after you hand them their ass with your "V6". Personally, i would rather have one than my GN because it is a true sports car, but unfortunately im a poor sollege student and cannot afford even the cheapest one. SO i guess im sayin i do like them, actually i love them. and if u really want a GN..... lets trade!! lol

There is no doubt that TTAs are much more accepted as part of the family in the Buick community than they are in the Pontiac community. We even have a tech sction here on our board for them........find that on a Pontiac board. :)

I ve got two tta's....I ve had 4 tr's and will not have another.

I plan on keeping the tta's for a long while. The f body crowd deffinately doesn t accept you....the ussual 4 th gen's don t even know what it is, and get very hurt when they get pulled 10 cars easily, when they have some bolt ons even....
I love the stealthness of the tta. They are deadly, and its ussually way way to late before someone figures out what just smoked them.....

I had a guy in an 03 cobra stop traffic to ask to see the car, he just got beat bad.....and he couldn t believe it was a 6! I showed it to him and he had no idea what he was seeing.

Not to take this thread away from its original post, but I just cant believe how people (car enthusiasts not the general public) do not know what a TTA is or for that matter a TR. If you are driving around in a 4th gen. camaro/trans am, it seems to me that you would know something about the history of the car. Were there people in 1979 Camaros getting beat by 1969 Camaros and not knowing what just beat them? Has it always been this way or is it just people today?

Once you realise that the only people that don't like them are the ones that are jealous of them, your understand what a TTA really is. Some TR guys dislike the TTA's because they aren't as practical as a Regal (lower, harder to get in and out of, rougher ride) but refuse to admit that the TR's have just as many if not more downfalls (can't stop, can't turn, can't handle going over 130mph). As for the the Camaro and TA guys that don't like them, that is because they are still stuck in the V8 mentality and just think more cubes means more power, they never realise what any of us have untill it is too late.

It is really all a matter of preference and I choose a TTA but love the TR's also.

Originally posted by 1badTTA
Once you realise that the only people that don't like them are the ones that are jealous of them, your understand what a TTA really is. Some TR guys dislike the TTA's because they aren't as practical as a Regal (lower, harder to get in and out of, rougher ride) but refuse to admit that the TR's have just as many if not more downfalls (can't stop, can't turn, can't handle going over 130mph). As for the the Camaro and TA guys that don't like them, that is because they are still stuck in the V8 mentality and just think more cubes means more power, they never realise what any of us have untill it is too late.

It is really all a matter of preference and I choose a TTA but love the TR's also.

post a pic of your mullet!!! bawhhhhhhh

Not sure how Pontiac ever pulled off getting the Buick turbo'd 231 in it, but I like it, yet I do not like it. :confused:

Sort of like a more athletic step brother. Theres a part of what made you in him, yet thats the only part you like about him.

If it were not for the Buick V6 part in the TTA, I would hate it.

A lot of Pontiac guys give the same response to the 403 Olds in the 77-79 T/As as they do to the TTA. I got all kinds of putdowns and was ignored on the boards. I went to the RealOldsPower.com site and got some respect there. I loved beating the Poncho powered guys at the track. They never gave any respect even when the best they could muster was a 14.5 and I was 13.4. Sure there was some real fast Pontiacs there but vast majority of the run of the mill GTOs and Firebirds ran in the 14s. Guess that's just typical closed mind thinking against something different.

I have always wanted a turbo powered Buick. I was looking for a GN when I found my TTA. I never thought I would be able to find a decent TTA for sale in my area, but I got lucky. I love the car and am planning on keeping it forever. But the best part of the car is the Buick motor! Mine also has Hotchkiss control arms, panhard bar, and KYB gas shocks.

This car is hard to beat, runs in a straight line like a GN, but handles like a 'vette!:D

Oh yeah, to answer your question: I'm not sure how all Buick guys feel about the car, but the local Dallas guys love the car, and have made me feel very welcome. I definitely feel part of the Buick community rather than with the Pontiac guys. I can pass another Pontiac on the street, and they never wave, or acknowledge me. BUT, if I pass another Turbo car, they know what the car is, and give it props. Not only are Buicks the classiest of muscle cars, but Buick people are the best also!:)