Yellow Supercharged 'Vette

kjhansen

Whew, what a run! Mid-to-late '90s C4 Corvette--yellow, very very loud exhaust, something in writing on the tail over the right rear lights. Anyway we both pull onto the road from merge lane at the same time. He waited for me to catch up and we both nailed it. Damn thing stuck with me like glue! We caught the second light (after slowly passing the cop with the import car pulled over on the other side of the road. Probably doing 55 in the 50 zone...). Light changed just as we stopped and I was stuck with no boost. 'Vette took off and left me--anybody can get a hole shot. We both turned left a few blocks up and caught yet another light. This time I had time... engaged the trans brake, built about 8 psi of boost, the light turned and I jumped out in front and stayed there--hey, anybody can get a hole shot, and those new BF Goodrich Drag Radials hooked like crazy. I could see him getting sideways into second gear, but he couldn't catch up. So we slam on the brakes for traffic and he pulls up next to me and foward. The lettering over the right rear taillight says "Supercharged by Tara Performance," (what?) and "High 11 territory" or something like that. When I pulled past him in the turn lane I gave him a short honk to get his attention and give the thumbs up. But he didn't look over. Corvette snob.
Keith

Hey good kill Keith...

I lined up next to a new C5 at the track last year looked over smiled and nodded...he looked at me then turned his head to look straight ahead. If he acknowledged me I sure didn't see it. So I wanted to cut a good light and whup him bad. Didn't get the light I wanted and then had wheel spin..which resulted in me running him down and passing him...which was even better :) He parked 30' away in the pits and didn't even look my way!!

You still doing the AF thing??

Bob

Still doing the Air Force thing---for another 32 days, then retirement after 30 years and 8 months.... been a long time comin'
Keith

Congratulations and thanks for your service. Where will you settle??

You were a Major when we first met on this site...make 06? 7??

Tell you a true story about an O5 Reservist I worked with in civilian life. My cubicle mate had a brother who had just made E6 and we were talking about it and my previous E6-ness. In walks Jim our gullible, by the book, all the boxes need check marks, O5. My friend tells him about his brother just making Tech Sgt and asked him if he was a Colonel. Jim promtly responded that he was a Lt Col. My friend asked him, with a straight face, which was higher...a TSgt or a Colonel.

Ole Jim's back instantly straightens and he says in a very instructive tone: "Colonel is higher than TSgt...Colonels tell TSgt's what to do all the time." My friend nods and says "Oh". Jim walks out and about 10 seconds later my friend and I were rolling on the floor laughing. Ole Jim never knew what hit him...the best "gotcha" I ever saw, and he still don't know he was "got".

Congrats and thanks again, Bob

I am not yet in-the-zone for O-6; still 2 years out. So I'm retiring as an O-5, which is more than I expected. I was a TSgt when I got commissioned.
When I was at Homestead AFB in Florida as a TSgt, our Squadron got a new Ops Officer (Major) who was very impressed with his own rank. The Commanding Officer of the host unit, Capt XXX invited our good major to his office for a "get acquainted" chat. The Major took offense and told the secretary to call the Captain back and tell him that Majors don't report to Captains and if the Captain wanted to have a chat he could come to the Major's office. Which he did. The Capt (US Navy) showed up at the Major's office in about 30 seconds.... Wasn't a good start for our young Major.... ouch.

Keith

That made me really laugh out loud...:) Bet the good Major about crapped his pants!! Those darn Navy ranks seem to be intentionally confusing eg Lieutenant is O-3, Captain O-6, and what the heck is up with Admiral ranks...one of them doesn't exist in peacetime or something??

Doing a little subtracting leads me to conclude you made O-5 about 16 years after your commission....pretty darn good. Congrats!

Where do you plan to retire to?? Do what??

Bob

We're moving to Lebanon, Missouri. Don't have any specific plans in mind yet, but will probably pursue elementary school education. I can live off of retirement and investments, but need to have something to do besides beat up on Corvettes.
Keith

Originally posted by kjhansen
Don't have any specific plans in mind yet, but will probably pursue elementary school education.
Keith
What? You never graduated the 5th grade?

;)

Whew, what a run! Mid-to-late '90s C4 Corvette--yellow, very very loud exhaust, something in writing on the tail over the right rear lights. Anyway we both pull onto the road from merge lane at the same time. He waited for me to catch up and we both nailed it. Damn thing stuck with me like glue! We caught the second light (after slowly passing the cop with the import car pulled over on the other side of the road. Probably doing 55 in the 50 zone...). Light changed just as we stopped and I was stuck with no boost. 'Vette took off and left me--anybody can get a hole shot. We both turned left a few blocks up and caught yet another light. This time I had time... engaged the trans brake, built about 8 psi of boost, the light turned and I jumped out in front and stayed there--hey, anybody can get a hole shot, and those new BF Goodrich Drag Radials hooked like crazy. I could see him getting sideways into second gear, but he couldn't catch up. So we slam on the brakes for traffic and he pulls up next to me and foward. The lettering over the right rear taillight says "Supercharged by Tara Performance," (what?) and "High 11 territory" or something like that. When I pulled past him in the turn lane I gave him a short honk to get his attention and give the thumbs up. But he didn't look over. Corvette snob.
Keith

Hey congradulations Keith,
Man, you have been in a long time. My journey has just started, im an A1C stationed at Robins AFB. I am from New Madrid County MO.
Have you thought about being a JROTC instrutor?
Enjoy your retirement
Charles

Turbo Ryan, yeah that's it. I'm gonna go back to 5th grade... I hope the desks are big enough. I can carve my name in 3 languages now anyway.

Charles, thanks. In many ways I envy you just starting out. So much to experience!

Keith

Turbo Ryan, yeah that's it. I'm gonna go back to 5th grade... I hope the desks are big enough. I can carve my name in 3 languages now anyway.

Charles, thanks. In many ways I envy you just starting out. So much to experience!

Keith

Thanks Keith,