Yamaha R1.....

darb

My buddy has a 02 R1 and has been wanting to race me ever since I took him for a ride in my car. We both knew he would win, but wanted to see how badly. He gets together with 20-30 other bike riders on Tues. evenings and all go to a stretch where its wide open, 5 lanes and no traffic usually. We met up then I followed them all to the spot. They started doing high speed wheelies and crazy stuff like that. My buddy was ready and motioned me to come. We cleared all the bikes off the road and went 1/4-1/2 (approx.) away. All the spectators were right at the finish. We decided to go from about a 20 mph roll, since I'm sure I would have just spun on launch with my radials. I know, I know, maybe I should have went from a dig since launching a bike is even more difficult. I knew I would lose so a roll was fine with me. Well, started and hit it at a 20 mph roll and let off just pass the other bikers. He had me by 10-12 car lenghts by the time we shut down. After he said he hit 140 mph before shutting down, I can only speculate how fast I was going, but I would say maybe 120 or so. He was really pulling me hard either, that is what suprised me. I got lots of props when we cruised back to the bikers. They all were like "holy **** dude, that thing sounded evil when it came by,"They couldn't believe a 3500 lb. car could stay as close as I did. Sort of felt like I won with all the compliments I was getting. BTW, running 18 psi with 21/19* timing extender. With more boost, it should be closer. My actuator is maxed out at 18 psi. New high boost actuator waiting to be installed.:D Just felt good after all this and thought I would share.:cool:

Brad

Nice one. I had a Kawasaki Ninja pull up next to me and pace at around 50mph once...I spooled up a wee at him and he went WOT on me...I returned fire. I shut down at 75mph after a few seconds when he had 25 cars on me in that time. I learned my lesson:)

A friend of mine just bought an R1. He took me out for a spin after he put a new exhaust on it. All I can say is, he didn't get on it, but MAN you could tell that thing would pull the pavement off the road.

Sweet deal. Glad to hear that all the people were cool and impressed with your 'effort'.

cool. i ran a bike once from 45-100. it was a gsxr-1000 and with my stock exhaust he didnt pull at all. well after talking to him and him saying thats a fast car, cuz i usually walk most cars" i went home to find this is a 9 second bike. i then determined he probably did not downshift, didnt tuck, and prob half-assed his way thru the gears. i could hear the bike whining tho so i knew he was gassing it. made my night:D

That is pretty good. I have an R1 (see my user name). Your GN gets much respect from me, if it can manage to keep up with the ONE then thats more than most cars can do. :cool:

Seems that one of the spectators had a camera and videoed the whole race :D I am in the process of trying to get the video. Once I have, I will attempt to post it here. Stay tuned.......

Brad

Haha, I love the Yamaha sportbikes. I'm just getting into riding now, so back when this story took place I didn't know squat about R1s.

I had just tweaked the GN and put the new MTs on, so I went for a cruise. I saw a pretty evil looking bike behind me, but I was feelin' good, so I say to the girlfriend "Wanna see a bike disappear?" I slowed to an obnoxiously slow speed on a highway onramp and made sure there were no cars nearby. I gunned it, hoping he'd follow. So I had maybe 2 car lengths and the GO from a 15 or 20 mph roll. I looked back to see him change lanes, and he wasn't gettin' any smaller :eek: Quite the contrary, by the time I started flashing "85" he screamed by at what must have been 110. I got a quick glance, just enough to see an "R1" emblem on his tail go by like a blur.
So he pulls back into the slow lane at the speed limit, and I pass at my typical 64 mph. He nodded and gave a big thumbs up, which was way cool since I just got decimated. My GF and I gave him thumbs up out the TTops, and we pulled back to cruise in the slow lane.
A few seconds later, a kid in a Hyundai comes by at around 75 or 80. He was freaking out, like pointing at us, giving thumbs up, and banging on his steering wheel. I guess he was behind the bike and tried to keep pace. He got to see a fast car and a REALLY fast bike go at it, that musta been cool.

Now I'm shopping for an R6 :cool:

nice, i believe on the R1's, if you get a timing adjuster, if you retard the timing quite a bit, it kills your top end, but low end is pulls hard still, but cant wheelie. Guy i know did that to his, and his bike is fast 0-1/4 and takes a 500+whp F-body to maybe beat it.

Any idea what your car should be trapping... 12 cars seems kind of rough :eek:

As you can tell by my sig, I have an 02 R1 as well as the GN. And to stay even close to an R1 that is actually racing is pretty impressive, especially with street tires. My R1 is basically stock (some goodies, but nothing to brag about), and from 0-110mph is OUTRAGEOUSLY fast if I want. And that's only 3rd gear. I used to have an 01 R6 and decided the car could beat it and I needed more. So traded it in on the R1. Now my problem is keeping the front wheel on the pavement on hard acceleration. Oh, and the damn Hawaiian drivers that never learned how to use a blinker or look before changing lanes. But that's a totally different rant.....

Derrick

Originally posted by darb
Seems that one of the spectators had a camera and videoed the whole race :D I am in the process of trying to get the video. Once I have, I will attempt to post it here. Stay tuned.......

Brad

Hey did you get the video yet? Dam I would love to see that.

Still working on the video. Hopefully soon I can get it up. I will post it here, or maybe in a new thread once I have it.

Brad

you should have taken him from the dig. those big bikes are hard to launch correctly without spinning or doing a wheelie. those bikes can make a low 3 second 0-60 time and low 10 second runs stock however with the right driver.

oh yeah, next years R1 will have 180 horsepower and weigh 375lbs dry. it should be good for high nine second quarters. so beware unless your motor was built by a guy named Duttwieller.