Xr vs GN again GN more mods

maxboosteric

Just got done putting on that 3 in dp on my friends gn and new injectors(30).Don't know if anyone has read my other write in but I beat him all the time.In my Merkur XR4TI, anyway. It is a mandrel 3 in with stock elbow no gasket from acrofab.So I go for drive and he talks to his girl, dam it does got some more power.Boost at about 18 19,so I leave a huge burnout right in front of his house. I love driving these things.So he drives it and we both agree it faster.So he knows he may beat me or be close.We go to leave and play aroung alittle,I floor it when I see his lights get brighter(volt booster)and seems like I'm pulling away but hard to tell when raceing behind one a another.WE turn different ways to go home but I don't feel like he knows I'm faster still, so I go his way.I stop and he gets next to me we go and I miss 2nd.The buick looks good pulling away.So we do it again this time he spins I bog but slip it back it back into a spin and we are side by side.I get a fender on him just before I shift.Thats all I need and got him by a car in the middle of 2nd.He lets off and I pull over to talk.He said that he had like 9 degrees of knock and let off.So one more time and this time in 3rd and I still got him not bad but still.All smiles till the new turbo for him.

Does he know how to tune that thing? If he had 9 degrees of knock in 2nd, I can only imagine what he had in 3rd. Get a tuning tool and get both cars set up right and then go racing. That knock was killing the timing on that car, and by you only beating him by as little as you did, he most certainly would have left you had the car not been knocking. Why not tune both cars to the max with race gas and then have a go at it? Better yet, video tape it.:cool:

Well seeing how I do all the tuning,.................anyway we just drove the car and got barely no knock with it just on the shifts and 2 degrees at the top of 3rd.So I know its good maybe got some false knock do to the shift while doing a burnout,hard to tell just drove it again and the thing runs good.The driver which is my friend is not the look at the gauge type he just drives.I got the car running alittle rich do to that.I also think he might have seen some of the 02 volts and thought he seen knock.It is alittle nerve racking when your racing about 2 ft from each other and your both spinning the tires.So I cut him some slack.Also with stock turbo if I'm beating by a car in 2nd it will be more at the end.His car is quick not fast.I'll have our t-type back on the road soon so you won't have to get all fired up over this story.I'll be the one beating the others still but in a t-type.

maxboosteric

What turbo is your friend planning on getting? Also if he has the stock intercooler I would advise him to have it checked for leaks, and if it checks out fine to get some larger necks... BTW, you stated that you had about 18 to 19lbs of boost with the GN, so I would assume he had race gas or the home brew of xylene, MMO, and pump fuel or he has an alchy kit:confused: If he's trying to run 18 to 19lbs of boost on purely pump gas 93 octane that would explain why he had 9 degrees of knock in 2nd, and he needs to do something about that knock because all that detonation does is shorten the wick on his motor!!! Oh yeah, how much boost were you running in your XR4TI??? Sorry for all the questions, but your friend should have no problem beating a Merkur XR4TI with the mods he has IMHO:cool:

Dam it is pump gas and I never had a problem running that boost with buicks or any other turbo cars on pump gas. 18 or 19 isn't high.I run run 23 with alky so I got more boost than him.I got a low 11 sec buick so I know what I'm doing with this thing(aleast I think I do). My cars runs 13.4's at 104 so its no push over.I have never been into the motor and you know what turbo cars can do. XR aren't pushovers if moded the right way just like any car.Right I mite have more mods but who cares its all racing and theres always someone that going to beat you and someone with more mods.

18 to 19lbs on 93 octane pump gas!!!

That's pretty amazing IMO, casue the most I can get with NO KNOCK is 15 to 16lbs on 93 octane pump fuel... I've had it spike to like 18 to 19lbs, but after that I usually have knock and like I said it spikes and goes back down to 16lbs... Maybe your getting knock and you just don't know it, cause your gauges might be broke, but then again you might just have a freak car cause I've heard of some cars being able to run more boost than others although it is very rare to see... I congratulate you for running low 11's, but usually the only other way I've heard of someone running that kind of boost on 93 pump gas is if they have DFI... As far as what you ran with the Merkur XR4TI (13.4's @104mph) those are great times and I'm well aware of the potential of any and all turbo cars, but with the same mods your friend has on the GN which if I'm correct is mainly exhaust, chip, and a filter he should at least be running 13.0s at about the same mph of 104 with about 20lbs of boost and on slicks... When I had the same mods as him I was running consistent low 13's to high 12's and my best time in cool weather (48 degrees in January) was a 12.785 @104.65mph on old pair of MT ET drags with a 1.75 60ft time... I have seen a couple TRs with the stock turbo and stock intercooler running mid 12's with 1.6 and 1.5 60ft time with the same mods... Have you guys ran the cars at the track? IMO the track is the best place to tune the car and this way you actually see what your running instead of basing the cars performance on street races... BTW, does the Merkur XR4TI have the same motor as the 4cyl turboed SVO mustang??? If so that car has a lot of potential:D