XFI Voltage

Boost231

What's An Intercooler
Staff member
Im running an XFI to GN Adapter Module [108112] from caspers. i have this unit installed on my car as well as an XFI. i have 14.* volts coming from the alternator while the car is running. im getting this same power to the inlet of the caspers adapter box. on the outlet side of the caspers box it drops the power off to 12.* volts which is also showing on the xfi. whats causing this? i was thinking about just hard wiring the xfi to the IGN but i don't understand why the adapter box is droping the voltage down. anyone have an idea? i dont want to hard wire it but if i need to i will. the car is running fine the way it is but i just dont care to see 12.* volts when it should be 14.*

brent

I have same setup xfi with adapter box from caspers and have the same voltage drop you do

I had the same problem, tried larger cables, high amp alt. worked on wiring at the bulk head....Instaled a Casper volt booster now have 15.3 volts on Fast
data log, works great.

voltage

I had the same problem, tried larger cables, high amp alt. worked on wiring at the bulk head....Instaled a Casper volt booster now have 15.3 volts on Fast
data log, works great.

not sure if i can run a volt booster on my setup but will look into it.

That volt booster helps a lot.

We are running one on my dads car. It solves that voltage problem and I do believe that with double pumpers, fans, the coil pack, FAST,AC, and everything else on a street car.

I have seen it on a race car too and the 16 volt battery took care of that no sweat.

That FAST unit has to see 12 + volts at all times for it to work properly.

Come to think of it we even tried running a hot wire from the alternator to the pin for the ECM and we would still see voltage drops on the data logs.

here is the email i got from john, i have yet to fix my problem but i will get around to it sometime. you can also hard wire it, which is what i will probley do. i dont think what john says is my problem as if i remember right im loosing voltage with the xfi unpluged as well.

Regarding voltage drop, it is usually a function of excessive load at the XFI ECU. Check the voltage with the ECU unplugged, then check it plugged in. IF the drop is apparent when plugged un, either the unit draws too much current, or there is excessive resistance at one of the connectors. Look at the black connector from the car’s harness for any signs of corrosion for starters.

The 12 volts can be seen at the pink/black wire in the engine harness connector, and flows through to the B connector, terminal B17.

Other things to consider, take a look at the fuse panel for any signs of corrosion as well, and look at your bulkhead under the hood (C100, the one under the power brakes system). It is common to see corrosion at the power feeds in this bulkhead. This is the source of your ECM power.

John

>>

voltage drop

Casper's is a booster and Power Stream has a adjustable constant power source.
PST-SR700 is a 20 amp fully adjustable, constant clean voltage (no spike) power source that will absorb voltage spikes and deliver constant voltage.
Power Stream also has a fixed 13.8V unit.

If used between the battery and ECU and set at the voltage of your choice, will answer
the low voltage/spike situation.

Casper's Booster is not in the same league as the Power Source unit, the Casper's unit does not control voltage spikes, it's not designed to:D

BTW, if someone can get MSD to give up their optimum operating voltage for their ignition systems, Power Stream could put together a UPS @ that voltage (i'm guessing).

what, no commment....?

Seems someone would (at least) have a little input on (my) adjustable constant and clean voltage suggestion since the problem hasn't gone away
unless i missed it on another thread.

I posted this because the problem isn't exclusive to Buicks and the offshore racers that have had and addressed this problem with the Power Stream
SR700 or the constant 13.8V unit, which BTW was designed for this particular situation by the owner of Power Stream (who BTW is a offshore racer).:confused: