XFI-To update... or not to update....?

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
Helping a friend.... his XFI box has a flash from about 6 months ago..... maybe more. I am not real sure which one...I'll have to check.... the software is 1.333. We currently do not have the traction control... so is there any need to update to 1.34?

What is the latest proven stable flash update for the XFI ECU?

I am having an inadvertant crank sync fault.... don't know why.... just wondering if the thing could be a screwy flash....

The latest software and firmware located at their site has been up for a while.
Software version 1.340 and Flash 56
They are stable.

I am having an inadvertant crank sync fault.... don't know why.... just wondering if the thing could be a screwy flash....

Check out the wiring. It is more often than not a wiring issue. I don't think XFI is sending out screwy flashes anymore. :D

Are you logging RPM when the error occurs?

Check out the wiring. It is more often than not a wiring issue. I don't think XFI is sending out screwy flashes anymore. :D

Nice to see you helping out someone without having to PM you ;)

Yes we are logging RPM....among other things. How would one go about figureing out where (during the run) the code was thrown? I assume I might can add the error code and error code2 (from what is shown on the master dash) to the logging dash? and when it changes from 0... is where to examine the rest of the data close? .... to see what else looks suspicious?

Yes we are logging RPM....among other things. How would one go about figureing out where (during the run) the code was thrown? I assume I might can add the error code and error code2 (from what is shown on the master dash) to the logging dash? and when it changes from 0... is where to examine the rest of the data close? .... to see what else looks suspicious?

Not a bad idea. I assume if a crank error is happening, there would be something there to see. Might be vibration related, load related or at a shift point?

I know you guys are running a distributor. Make sure your cam signal isn't too close to the crank signal.

Look at cam sync on your dash and what is the # of degrees while running?

xfi

xfi experts whats a flash no start? you know like when you try to start your engine and no start. kill the power at the battery or turn ignition off and wait untill the lights go out in the xfi module. then it will start. this happens at least one time per weekend, just wondered. anyone know for sure no guessing?:confused:

Im no expert,But the XFI is a bit sensitve to voltage.
I only see this with the jmper style box with a stock harness.
I believe this is were that problem comes from.
The stand alone system are fed directly from the battery and you MuST use
a very good source for cranking voltage

I agree with Otto.
I had the no start problem, hard wired my xfi input voltage directly to the battery. Haven't had a problem since.

I know you guys are running a distributor. Make sure your cam signal isn't too close to the crank signal.

I can't remember exactly Cal... but I think we were at least 20 deg apart from the crank signal....

Not a bad idea. I assume if a crank error is happening, there would be something there to see. Might be vibration related, load related or at a shift point?

I called myself tring to add the errorcode and errorcode 2 to the datalogging dash.... but nothing was any different on the next datalog? Is there a limit to how many things you can log? Currently we are logging 12 things. I'll get this thing figured out someday...... sure keeps the mind active... that is for sure....

xfi experts whats a flash no start? you know like when you try to start your engine and no start. kill the power at the battery or turn ignition off and wait untill the lights go out in the xfi module. then it will start. this happens at least one time per weekend, just wondered. anyone know for sure no guessing?

It looks like two different threads here but... I had the same no start problem. I got a call from Dave H @ Fast thanks to Cal. Once we verified that the voltage was good he had me do a flash update (56). Took care of the problem and has not been back since.
Tg

xfi experts whats a flash no start? you know like when you try to start your engine and no start. kill the power at the battery or turn ignition off and wait untill the lights go out in the xfi module. then it will start. this happens at least one time per weekend, just wondered. anyone know for sure no guessing?:confused:

Personally I call that a round win in Norwalk... ;) Sorry Ted, just couldn't resist!

Art.

They told me that could'nt happen?:confused: