XFI for Dummies?

horndog

I purchased a new, never installed XFI from someone with the Caspers adapter, etc. from someone. This person purchased it from a well-known XFI vendor here years ago. I have a few seemingly simple questions:

1. Is there installation guides out there, specifically for our vehicles?
2. I purchased the 2.05 upgrade, can the ECU be upgraded without the ECU being installed?
3. Anything else I should or need to know when converting?

Is the adapter not plug and play one end into the stock harness the other into the XfI?I thought it ran off of all the stock wiring all you needed to add was a WB sensor.

It supposed to. I want to make sure I do my due diligence before just plugging stuff in for shits and giggles.

box is plug and play , has jumpers inside it for analog inputs or egr so dont connect your egr unless you check the jumpers
casper adapter has a plug for a map sensor that can be hooked up directly to the plug or extend the signal wire in middle to your map signal (you need a 3 bar map sensor)
make sure the casper box ground wires have a solid clean ground connection
disconnect and remove your old MAF and translator
install o2 bung in downpipe about a foot from turbo .. install wideband sensor ..run o2 extension harness from casper box to sensor
install iat sensor into up pipe or doghouse or , intake ..i just drill and tap plenum for sensor , there is an iat extension harness avalable from caspers or cut and extend wires or tf you seperate the wires from the loom they will reach if sensor is put on driverside of plenum

now you can power it up

download and install the 2.5 wp xfi program from fast and the drivers for the usb cable (prolific) connect with laptop (you need to check device manager advanced settings and see the com port that the laptop set your usb to and change it to com 3 and you need to check the com setting is at com 3 in the xfi box under communication>setup> choose the com 3 port ..then F2 or communication>connect and you should be online
once connected you and you can install the 2.05 update ,, then you need to go through the program you have or load a compatible 2.05 tune for your combo /injector and make sure all tables, parameters and boxes are properly programmed and selected before fire up...calibrate the tps , make sure map sensor and 02 sensor are correctly selected ,verify map signal at 100kpa(+/- a few), verify and set tps position to -0- and that it can go full or close thereabouts but not over 100, check program for injectors , base timing and ignition type , , theres a prelim list for 2.05 that needs to be checked over and corrected since those tables will have diferent values than and wont work on those defaults ..once it starts (or not )you can tweak the iac and then the ve to get the a/f in check ..then the tuning begins

Last edited:
This is great, but what is the 2.05 checklist you are referring to? What about the TPS settings etc you are also referencing?

box is plug and play , has jumpers inside it for analog inputs or egr so dont connect your egr unless you check the jumpers
casper adapter has a plug for a map sensor that can be hooked up directly to the plug or extend the signal wire in middle to your map signal (you need a 3 bar map sensor)
make sure the casper box ground wires have a solid clean ground connection
disconnect and remove your old MAF and translator
install o2 bung in downpipe about a foot from turbo .. install wideband sensor ..run o2 extension harness from casper box to sensor
install iat sensor into up pipe or doghouse or , intake ..i just drill and tap plenum for sensor , there is an iat extension harness avalable from caspers or cut and extend wires or tf you seperate the wires from the loom they will reach if sensor is put on driverside of plenum

now you can power it up

download and install the 2.5 wp xfi program from fast and the drivers for the usb cable (prolific) connect with laptop (you need to check device manager advanced settings and see the com port that the laptop set your usb to and change it to com 3 and you need to check the com setting is at com 3 in the xfi box under communication>setup> choose the com 3 port ..then F2 or communication>connect and you should be online
once connected you and you can install the 2.05 update ,, then you need to go through the program you have or load a compatible 2.05 tune for your combo /injector and make sure all tables, parameters and boxes are properly programmed and selected before fire up...calibrate the tps , make sure map sensor and 02 sensor are correctly selected ,verify map signal at 100kpa(+/- a few), verify and set tps position to -0- and that it can go full or close thereabouts but not over 100, check program for injectors , base timing and ignition type , , theres a prelim list for 2.05 that needs to be checked over and corrected since those tables will have diferent values than and wont work on those defaults ..once it starts (or not )you can tweak the iac and then the ve to get the a/f in check ..then the tuning begins

the checklist is in the help section .index 6.0 intial settings of the new 2.05
2.05 has some features and and some are related to e85 flex users but also has some new features that need to be setup or disabled
,for whatever reason the new2.05 program sets fec vs timing table at 12* with upgrade and it needs to be set to 0* , and individual cyl adjust fuel table with 100's need to change to 0's or whatever you had before the upgrade
you need to make sure that the power adder settings are correct (or selected off) as some use the PA enable for logging and that could cause issues
in op params there's a new set the spark cut rev limiter and its sets at 500 with install and it needs to be set higher
depending on if you run fuel and oil logging sensors you need to check and set the selection for new features like oil pressure cutoff pressure,selection and setting of fuel compensation pressure , as well as uncheck fault detection for FPS and OPS if not using the fuel/ oil sensors same goes for FEC fault if not running a flex sensor
in sensor calibration set the fuel pressure and oil pressure sensor calibration which will have a separate calibration from the aux inputs ,
select your ignition type and firing order parameters
check the tps sensor setting and adjust if needed ( min and max values on every car is different ) ..as well as all other sensors and tables before you fire it up

here's more from cpg fast support
http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/threads/upgrade-xfi-2-01-to-2-05-be-careful.24812/

the pdf file i attached was from that thread but seems you need to be registered and signed in to view it ..

Attachments

• XFI 2.010 to 2.050 update notes 2.pdf
    171.1 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
Thank you very much! Sorry for another question, how and where do you wire for the WB O2?

So I think I found a spot to route the WB O2 extension cable, but will require me removing one of the ends. This should be fun.
The spot to route the wiring and the map sensor hose is through the climate control plug.

If I were you, and you sound a little like myself when I made the jump, as in unsure how this goes, that goes, etc. I would give cal hartline $300.00 and let him be your personal assistant when getting this thing set correctly. It is very nice to make a text to him...say hey Cal, I have "X" going on, then in an hour or so it works.

I contacted him on initial start
New engine initial start
E-85 conversion

Then::::: He will tune it when you can get face to face with the car and him.

Well worth the cash IMO

Thanks for the advice, and I will consider it, but I do have a pretty good support system to get the installation done.
The tuning, maybe a bit different.

Ok I got it installed, Pacecarta you were helpful. With the help Of Cal, I was able to get it somewhat running.
It runs and the idle seems to be hunting, bouncing between 850 -1100. I cannot figure out why.

As you know dyno's are more for tuning than out right HP. If you have a WB/5-wire 02 you can get your a/f ratio's down for good DD use and gradually build your HP map's. You know what you need so I'm not trying to tell you anything you most likely do not already know. :)

I guess I have two issues right in front of me: What is a target AFR for E85 and is it the same at idle all the way to WOT?
Also the flucuating idle, cannot figure that one out, but not sure if it is because it is running lean 15.1 at idle.
There is also a bonus issue, the check engine SES light is on and I need to find out why.