X-Frame Member

Alky V6

Let's go racing, boyz!
Here's an X-frame setup I made for the race car. It controls frame twisting, reinforces the lower control arm frame mounting, and replaces the stock crossmember providing a rear mount for the transmission.
The tank on the passenger side is a catch can for the transmission vent.
The tank on the driver side is a catch can for the intake manifold plenum I just fabbed up today. Still waiting for the petcock to come in.

Attachments

• IMGP1671rs.jpg
    IMGP1671rs.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,083
  • IMGP1666rs.jpg
    IMGP1666rs.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,077
  • IMGP1665rs.jpg
    IMGP1665rs.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,048
Pics of the rear attachment point.

Attachments

• IMGP1647rs.jpg
    IMGP1647rs.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,017
  • IMGP1649rs.jpg
    IMGP1649rs.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,005
  • IMGP1648rs.jpg
    IMGP1648rs.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 996
The X-frame front attachment point.

Attachments

• IMGP1655rs.jpg
    IMGP1655rs.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 954
  • IMGP1664rs.jpg
    IMGP1664rs.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 951
A couple more of the front attachment.

All thru-holes in the X-frame channel sections are tubed and reinforced.

A base plate was welded to the OEM frame and then the attachment brackets welded to the base plate. The noses of the X-frame corners were wrapped with an extra sheet of metal.

Attachments

• IMGP1657rs.jpg
    IMGP1657rs.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 929
  • IMGP1656rs.jpg
    IMGP1656rs.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 946
The X-frame has been on the car going on 6 years now. I have had zero problems with it.

How much does it help? That's my biggest question.
We all know from the experience of others that the lower control arm frame mountings need reinforcement. There is no question about that. As I looked at the task of reinforcing those points I realized that the thrust load being transferred to the frame through the lower control arms was being carried by the weak C channels of the mid section of the stock frame. I thought it would be better to lessen that load and carry it to the front of the frame through an additional member. It's a well know fact in the chassis business that an X-frame member does wonders to resist frame twist, and it would also do well to share some of the thrust load from the lower controls arms and transfer it directly to the stronger forward portion of the stock frame.
I also realized that if the intersection of the X was done right I could use it as the transmission mounting also. The whole project really started out as a way to reinforce the lower control arm frame mount, and snow balled from there. The question of how much does it help. Hmmm. The main objective was to strengthen the lower control arm frame mounting points. It does that very well. Being a X-frame member, it controls frame twisting. It triangulates the entire mid-section of the stock frame. It adds more structure to transfer the thrust load from the lower control arms. It adds opportunities to mount other items to it, such as the transmission vent catch tank and intake plenum catch tank.
Bottom line it does a lot of things to help. Does it make a difference on the ET slip? Heck, I don't know. It was just one of my crazy engineering projects.

X-Frame Center Section

Pics of the center section that incorporates the transmission mounting. Removal of the large flat plates is simple for easy transmission removal and replacement. Different transmission mountings can be easily adapted to the two large plates.

One of these days I'll get around to putting a little more interesting shape into the two plates instead of leaving them plain jane square. At least touch up the corners.

Attachments

• IMGP1665rs.jpg
    IMGP1665rs.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 896
  • IMGP1663rs.jpg
    IMGP1663rs.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 877
  • IMGP1662rs.jpg
    IMGP1662rs.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 874
More center section pics.

Attachments

• IMGP1652rs.jpg
    IMGP1652rs.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 845
  • IMGP1653rs.jpg
    IMGP1653rs.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 848
  • IMGP1661rs.jpg
    IMGP1661rs.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 848
The aluminum covers I made for inside the cab to cover the rear legs of the X-frame. Riveted in place.

Attachments

• IMGP1681rs.jpg
    IMGP1681rs.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 866
Last pics. Promise.

The large bolt holes through the channels are tubed and welded to the channels at each end. Then a hardened washer is welded over the holes. You can see the slight standoff between the plates and the channels due to the hardened washers.

Attachments

• IMGP1650rs.jpg
    IMGP1650rs.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 861
  • IMGP1658rs.jpg
    IMGP1658rs.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 866
  • IMGP1654rs.jpg
    IMGP1654rs.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 840
That looks awesome Donnie, post more pics :D

I'm making something similar on my frame and I'll snap some pics when it's more presentable.

Showoff :tongue: Your car is too clean underneath.

How does (did) the car handle on the street? I know its setup for the strip, but have you ever taken any corners with it? Looks great by the way :eek:

I think I may have a way for you to get rid of that pesky light RR and LF issue we've been talking about. Tell ya later.

Showoff :tongue: Your car is too clean underneath.

How does (did) the car handle on the street? I know its setup for the strip, but have you ever taken any corners with it? Looks great by the way :eek:
When it was a street car, it handled fine. It's never been on the street since the X-frame was put on.
The car has a roll cage too that was put in before the X-frame member. I really didn't notice any difference after the X-frame. Granted, I never took any high speed turns with it either, since taking the car off the street. Don't suspect I ever will either. She's setup for straight line stuff now.
The roll cage was already doing its share to stiffen the chassis. The X-frame is just helping it out. I really never expected to feel anything different after installing the X-frame. I just know it's helping.

they need to make the "fabrication section", "The Donnie Wang Section"!!:eek: nice work Wang. What kind of converter is in your trans? Nice piece.

they need to make the "fabrication section", "The Donnie Wang Section"!!:eek: nice work Wang. What kind of converter is in your trans? Nice piece.
I have to admit, I was a little excited when I first noticed this section. I hope I'm giving others some food for creative thinking.

The T/C is a Neal Chance bolt together. Stalls, with my engine config (small cubes, small stroke), at 2440 rpm, 0 boost, no nitrous.
With the new and improved nitrous shot it should stall out of the hole somewhere around 4,000 rpm. That rpm level and added exhaust energy should get that 91mm moving a little quicker.