X bracing the chassis

gnfanatic

Anyone have pics fo this?? I want to tighten the car frame big time where the C channel is. I dotn want to box it, want to do better then that. Is it possible to run tubing from one end of the frame to the other and each side welded?? then use some bars going across that bolt to it?

thnaks
Ralph

X Brace

I reviewed that configuration from several angles. I'm assuming you have a stock appearing exhaust (stock, ATR...). The reoccuring problems is how to configure the interference between the exhaust system and the new bracing on the diagonals. The other issue is the differing elevations of the floor pan at the front and rear of the passenger compartment.

Square tube is not ideal for radial strength or for fortifying the chassis against differing roll couples.

Round tube is ideal but if you introduce "splices" in trying to form the diagonals, the "splices" need to have the rigidity of a contiguous tube.

stiffy

if you really want to stiffen up the chassis ,and ride quality isn't of utmost concern,aluminium body bushings and a cage (roll bar)would do alotfor chassis stiffness.

Thanks for the reply guys. I feel a rollcage is jsut a bandaid and doesnt truly fix the weak chassis problem. The gnx had the rear bar in the back going diagonlly and it made the car more solid. I have heard of people doing an X brace but never saw it. must be a way. I understand the exhaust might have to be redone a tad, thats ok. But the round bar can be slightly prebent in the machine to go with the flow of the floorboards.

Thanks
Ralph

gnfanatic said:
I feel a rollcage is jsut a bandaid and doesnt truly fix the weak chassis problem.

There is no way to stiffen a chassis, as well as by adding a cage.
The *cleverness* comes, in doing it with as little weight as possible, for a given amount of stiffness.

You might try finding Herb Adams, Race Car Engineering book. It's a light read and very informative. Also, Dave Morgan's book, Doorslammers is very interesting.

x chasis brace sounds like a plan for the gn
I have this on my corvette, the corvette guys take the conv x brace and put them on coupes

Id also like to suggest the cage and if you are anal like me Id suggest getting a custom cage thats tucked and closer to the body so its more accessible as a driver, I had one done on my mustang way better looking structurally than the mass produced versions
at a cost of $1000 up or down
Im gonna have another done on my conv vette when I get around to it I have to have this custom for softtop issues

Alan