wtb:400 trans

67rs

anyone selling a chevy 400, bop400, or a build chevy or olds 350?i'm converting from a t200 would the driveshaft , harness, and crossmember be the same?

I think if the splines match up, all you need to check is the length..that prolly didn't help you at all however.

yeah that didnt really help much, but thx for the input. i just picked up a 455 but the trans for some reason doesnt want to move the car while it's in gear. the car was sitting, but for some reason i had to raise the rpm high, and the trans just dumped into gear. but the reverse is still stuck. anyone know how to fix this prob?oh yeah and the car is being held by just the trans on a hill.

if i'm not mistaken turbo 4's have 2 front corners of the pan cut?

Re: .

Originally posted by 67rs
but the trans for some reason doesnt want to move the car while it's in gear.

if i'm not mistaken turbo 4's have 2 front corners of the pan cut?

Could be just low on fluid but I'd presume that it would continue to slip and higher rpms wouldn't make a difference.

Does the current trans have what seems to be a long tailshaft approx. 9 inches? I may have enough hard parts from my fried TH-400 to service yours. Anyhoo...check here for oil pans:
http://www.monte-list.nu/tech/trannyid.shtml

For some reason the pictures on the link isn't loading...maybe try later or Summit on-line catalog does wonders:

TH-400: http://store.summitracing.com/largeimage.asp?part=MRG-9762
TH-350: http://store.summitracing.com/largeimage.asp?part=PRO-141-250

hth -stew

TH375 has the same output spline as a TH350 or smaller... but it looks like a TH400... TH400 uses the large yoke...

There is no Gbody crossmmber that makes the TH375/400 a direct bolt in...

Leighton
Buy my car it has a 400 in it....lol

Still gotta check on the seals for you buddy!
KOA

anyone know how i could possible fabricate it in? or do i have to just redrill the crossmember into the frame?

from the looks of it it looks like there is a t200r4 behind it right now. but the trans really acts up.when i roll down the hill in drive it feels like it is in first gear. and when i press gas the engine shakes and hesitates. could be because the hads were milled and the intake wasnt matched. but well the trans doesnt go in reverse and mostly all the gears dont work.

i just filled fluids in there but idk if thats really going to help much but it reads full.

Originally posted by 71RSZ28

According to their site, the 2004R has the same mounting distance as the 400 :confused:

HTH

Like Tommy said...TH-200 4R and TH-400 mounting is*almost*the same. I've been told that it's only an 1/8th inch difference, something that can be fixed with a rat tail file. I wonder what the guyz on this very board have done??? stew

TH-200 4R oil pan: http://www.montecarloss.com/TCC_9.jpg

mrg-9762_w.jpg

the pan under looks very similar to this one. so i'm guessing it is a th400 but the dip on the right side of the pan isnt there. the tail shaft is very short about maybe 5 inches. and it looks like they didnt drill new holes in the fraim rail, so the t2004rmay work because it came with a factory od trans.

by any chance does anyone on here know how to overhaul these things?

by any chance do i need to have the electrical plug on the side of the trans too with the 4 holes that looks like a square? because the one i have does not have one.

that 4 prong plug is for the lockup converter, which the TH400/375 does not have

ok so now i'm guessing that the trans is somehow locked up,. could that happen from the car sitting on a hill for a while with the car being held by the trans?

Originally posted by 71RSZ28
I haven't seen any in person, but G-Force has conversion crossmembers...

http://www.geocities.com/gforcejohn/products.htm

According to their site, the 2004R has the same mounting distance as the 400 :confused:

HTH

It's close... as stew said... but not a direct bolt-in... at least for the OE crossmember...

Also remember that TR's as well as other V6 equipped g bodies use the crossmember with the "offset" rubber mount, whereas the V8 Gbodies use one with a mount pad that is located differently than those on the V6 equipped cars.

V6 cars also have the crossmembers with the rubber isolators at the framerails as well.

Just my .02

Thinking about that...

When I had the TH400 in my 81 elky... I butchered a TH350 Xmember and flipped the pad to the other side and did a whole bunch of stuff to make it work...

Of course, 84 and later cars have the extra pad for the 200-4R xmember. Leighton, if you use the V6 (offset mount) crossmember, there may be enough play to make it fit.

what if i use a v8 crossmember with a offset v6 pad from a 2004r.

this is the pad that bolts to the trans right?

rob, is there a difference between the pre84 crossmember and the 85and up ones? such as th way it's bent? or the way it's bolted to the frame?

or is it possible to bolt the 85lesabre wagon crossmember to my olds?

78-83 do not have the 2nd pad for the 200-4R mount (not available in gbodies until 84) 84-88 frames are all the same...

IIRC, not all 84's have the pad either... (My SS does)

If you use the V8 crossmember and the offset mount, the trans will se seriously off to one side... (not feasible... driveshaft/engine misalignment... ) just use the V6 200-4R crossmsember and the offset mount... then you get the rubber isolaters on the frame ends as well... I believe there is enough play to make it fit with all the rubber components there...