Wrong intake gasket?

dragway

After taking engine out do to blown headgasket when I took off throttlebody and dog house was coated on inside with oil took lower intake off and found that it didn't have the pan style gasket and Pcv was sucking up oil would that hurt performance and could it cause detonation ?

If I am not running pan gasket, is there a fix for this problem?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Put the correct intake gasket in. Or maybe disconnect the PCV and run richer down low.

I can't say for sure if the 2nd option will work as I'd fix it correctly.

Looks like the heads have been off then. Was any work done to them for what you can see?

The motor is bored .040 over looks like stock cam heads look like just a stock valve job I upgraded valve springs checked bearings dont know what I am going to do rebuild it to stock or what. Every time I think about it I flip flop on what to do.

If it's already .040 over I'ld just put it back together and run it. In the mean time search for a better block and heads to build for more power if you want.

you can buy a sheet metal valley pan for use with the individual intake gaskets like the felpro 1200, cometic and TA performance sell
and then you can retain your pcv

they are around 35bucks

Hey, thanks to pacecarta and Pronto! I have often wondered how to use what looks to be a better sealing 1200 gasket and still keep the oil off of the PCV. Are you (or anyone else) running this set-up, and can you recommend it?
Leaks, noise issues, etc?

Thanks!

I had no idea it was possible to seal 'better' than a positive seal.... If I just absolutely refused to run a plain ole valley pan gasket I guess it's be easy enough to attach a baffle below the PCV opening.

I actually considered doing that when I was building my 4.2 but I had already reinvented enough wheels that actually benefited me. No need to fix something what wasn't broken this time.

Earl: I'm sure they both seal, but my thought was that the thicker print-o-seal style on the 12oo gasket would work better compared to the thin metal gasket, especially on an engine with lets say, milled heads that might slightly change the angles. Your thoughts?

When you mill heads and deck blocks, the heads sit lower on the engine. The fix is to mill the intake and/or run a thinner gasket if one is available.

The factory gasket is the thin steel type.

I did see on one of your earlier posts that you had milled the intake after some calculations. I do not trust any of the machine shops where I live to cut on one of my hard-to-find intakes. I will be using the factory metal gasket.

Thanks

The calcs are pretty easy... If the mounting holes are .020" high, you need to mill .020" off the intake flanges. Since it's a 45* flange the amount that needs to slide down is the same amount that needs to be clearanced. I guess Pythagoras was a Buick fan, he wrote a paper on it a few years ago. :)

44351d1265692326-machine-intake-mr.-manifold.jpg

What if you are dealing with the opposite, heads not milled but intake was? You would need a thicker gasket to push the intake up correct?

yes ,
ta performance has gaskets available thicker and thinner than stock and also has larger opening gaskets for tall ported heads