Wrist pin play.....

Steve V

Steve V's Automotive 757 560 2782
I bought some used pistons/rods from a board member and I have wrist pin play in the pin bore on the piston...all of them.:frown: I am A$$uming they are no good and I got ripped off. I have never had any wrist pin issues in my motors and don't want to start. I am dropping them off at the machine shop next week to see what he says. You guys think they are paper weights?

just checked a new set of pistons i have, and there was no play.i would say you got hosed.

I just checked my old stock ones...no play on those either.

I'm no expert but I wouldn't think you want any noticeable play in that area. With the loads placed on the piston and rods going up and down that could be disastrous in a short time.

Well thanks guys,I bought them from Broke1.I didn't pay a lot for them and at least I have 6 spare rods!Like they ever fail:)

You should have between .0008 and .0012 "play" (clearance) between the pin and piston. If you can detect the play, you have too much:frown:

I agree, you should not be able to feel any clearance in the pins. Sorry to hear about your sour deal :frown:

yea i had the same problem with a set i got used on this board, they had .004 thou play so i honed them for a 9.90 pin and used bb chevy pins. it was cheaper than a new set of j&e 4.1 pistons but not by much. sometimes it pays to buy new if you can. just lucky i can do the work myself.