Would you run a BMS rod or buy new ones?

boostingbuick

Going to be buried in this.
I have had a set of BMS narrow journal rods for a build. Now I want to know what kind of power will they hold? I have purchased a new cat crank, two center steel caps and will be putting race gas in this thing. I just don't want the rods to be a weak link. I rather ask now then found out on my own later.

I have had a set of BMS narrow journal rods for a build. Now I want to know what kind of power will they hold? I have purchased a new cat crank, two center steel caps and will be putting race gas in this thing. I just don't want the rods to be a weak link. I rather ask now then found out on my own later.

If its under 1000hp i wouldnt worry about it. Your block is the weak link if you run any aftermarket rods. Be sure the CAT crank is inspected and clearances verified. About half need to be turned .010 under on the mains even when new. The flywheel flange is probably oversize which will prevent the flywheel from sliding on. Cheap Chinese crap. Ask me how i know.

My guess is that it will be near 1000 hp at the flywheel. And I bought the crank from DLS and was inspected when I got it. It was the only crank I could find. Not sure how far the block will go, but with two steel caps and a girlde, I think it will live. So at a 1000 hp, would you run them?

I am not trying to kill it, just make it into the 9's full weight car.

If it came from DLS you should be good to go. You only need about 700-725hp(flywheel)to go 9's. No where near 1000hp is needed. You would be breaking blocks more than anything at 1000hp. Id run them without second though as long as they checked out ok.

Just fitted the JW flywheel to the crank. Fits nice and tight and went right on. I would think that making close to 600 rwhp on 93 with no alky that I can pick up 200 with race gas.

Just fitted the JW flywheel to the crank. Fits nice and tight and went right on. I would think that making close to 600 rwhp on 93 with no alky that I can pick up 200 with race gas.

Id think so myself.

i have bms rods and making 500-600 rwhp. havent been down the track yet with it but alot of street miles.