Would this be worth doing?

6SENSE

Some of you may know from my recent posts that I have been having problems since putting in a shift kit on my BRF.
I just had an idea that may or may not be good, that is what I need you guys for. I have a KZF from an '86 442 that had no shifting problems that I could remember, it was a clean Texas car that just happened to have a not so good run in with a bus.
Anyway, would this tranny work for my Ttype? What if I put my BRF VB and Servo in it? The 442 had 373 gears, would that have much of a difference, or just in the speedometer?
Any comments would be much appreciated.Thanks.

Originally posted by 6SENSE
Some of you may know from my recent posts that I have been having problems since putting in a shift kit on my BRF.
I just had an idea that may or may not be good, that is what I need you guys for. I have a KZF from an '86 442 that had no shifting problems that I could remember, it was a clean Texas car that just happened to have a not so good run in with a bus.
Anyway, would this tranny work for my Ttype? What if I put my BRF VB and Servo in it? The 442 had 373 gears, would that have much of a difference, or just in the speedometer?
Any comments would be much appreciated.Thanks.

You'd need to use the valvebody, governor, and servo fromthe BRF transmission. However, you probably have a problem in the BRF valvebody. So, if you put the BRF valvebody and other parts on the KZF from the 442, you'll likely have the same problem with the KZF as you had with the BRF.

You could just put the KZF in your Buick, and change speedometer gears.
Alan

The KZ will go in and work perfect. Do not mix and match anything. All you will need to do is put a 27 tooth speedo driven gear in externally and go. will work fine.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSnctb.com

I'm with Alan on this. Use the KZF as is with speedo gear change (which includes the gear on the governor.) You may also want to look into swapping the BRF servo assembly into the KZF if the KZF has a smaller one. Just check the casting number on the servo cover.

Thank you, thank you.
I have just been letting that KZF sit because I thought it was inferior to the tannys that come in our TRs. Is the 442 tranny a step above the normal 2004Rs, as are the TR trannys?
Also, youre saying that I just need to take the speedo gears from the tailshaft where the speedo cable hooks up? I have the BRF and I also have the BQ that originally came in my car, I could use the gear from either one, correct?
If so then I can put the KZF in and still be able to drive the car, and then build up the BRF at my leisure with out having to rush and go broke all at once. Much appreciated guys.

P.S. I can still use the convertor that I had on the BRF right? it was a 2800. I also have the old D5.

You dont need to change the gov gear . You can adjust the speedo with a 27 tooth ext gear which equates to the same ratio. (373) (342) The servo , however, would be nice to have :)

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSnctb.com