Would DS set a code 42 and 51?

tim87tr

Obsession or Digression?
Started using DS today and while the laptop was closed later in the day, I received a code 42 and 51 on my scanmaster. Just curious if leaving the DS cable system plugged in has ever turned up these codes, before I started looking elsewhere for the cause.

Originally posted by BoostKillsStres
My car used to hiccup and set this code a bit but a ribbon shield cured all those ills.
HTH
So maybe I'm not imagining things:cool: Give me some details on that ribbon shield. Thanks

Its a braided stainless(I believe) shield that you work onto the entire length of the ribbon cable to stop EMI from going through it to the ECM. Alum foil I've also heard to work, just make sure a large part of the foil or shield is up against the ECM case so the EMI can be sent to ground through the ECM case ground wiring.

You can call Conley's to get the shielding, it was free at the time I did mine and they're good about customer support and know of this issue.

HTH

I shortened my ribbon cable to the absolute minimum required and have cured a lot of "wierd" hicups(sp). I clean the contacts about once a year, and all's well.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll do something about the shielding. I'm not sure about how to shorten the cable.

I wasn't sure of the problem being DS related, but now I know to be aware of the ribbon cable. One last question, for now;) : When I received the error codes, my laptop was plugged in. If I unplug the laptop, will this stop the error problem, or does the ribbon cable need to be unplugged from the ecm to prevent any trouble?

The ribbon cable will have to be unplugged from the ecm or its still a magnet to pick up EMI and feed it into the ECM....Ask me how I know :( took me a LONG time to figure out DS was causing the issue.

Originally posted by BoostKillsStres
The ribbon cable will have to be unplugged from the ecm or its still a magnet to pick up EMI and feed it into the ECM....Ask me how I know :( took me a LONG time to figure out DS was causing the issue.
Thanks, I had a hunch that the DS set the codes even though it was the first time using DS. The car ran like crap like it would with an electrical/spark problem, no power in upper rpm. I reset the chip and that cured it at the time. I'll keep it unplugged at the ECM unless I'm tuning. I'll check with Conleys on the shielding also.