Would anyone be interested in a PNP AEM EMS for the GN?

RRev Tim

Well, I own an import based performance shop that does a lot of tuning (AEM, Motec, etc.) We do a lot of AEM installs and tuning here and wanted to give the AEM a try in my 87 GN. I am just going to make a Plug and Play harness for the EMS, so that no wires have to be spliced. Would anyone else be interested in something like this??? Here are some of its advatages:

Has all the same featers of Big Stuff, or FAST, but with these added features:

Boost control - It has a very good internal boost controler. All you need to do is wire in a solenoid (AEM or GM). You can do speed based boost, boost ramping, etc...

Nitrous Control / Water meth - Full programable nitrous control. Can turn nitrous map on via a certain boost level, speed, etc.. Just set the paramaters and go. This can also be used with water/meth injection. What we do is setup a car for a base pump gas tune, then use the nitrous map for boost increase, timing increase, and fuel adjustments. BUT the good thing about this system is that we run a pressure sensor inline with the water/meth system that monitors the pressure to make sure it doesnt drop (run out of meth, pump going bad, etc), if pressure drops, the EMS will automaticly switch back to the pump gas map and bring down the boost, timing and fuel. This makes the water/meth kits almost foolproof..

I thought of making a kit for the GNs with the boost solenoid already pre-wired, along with a MAP sensor, AIT sensor, and a few other options.

The AEM kit will cost the same or LESS than the others, with a lot more tuning capabilities...

I plan to do a tune for E98 as soon as I get the system running. I will post my results as soon as I have them. Please give me some feedback, questions, etc. I truley think this would be a great EMS for the GN's.

Tim Robards
RRev Motorsports
Tim@rrevmotorsports.com
www.rrevmotorsports.com

Yes it apears that they do almost the same thing. I dont think Gen 7 has boost control though. I do know the AEM will have more inputs and outputs and has great internal data logging features that does not require the push of a button (or laptop to be hooked to ECU), you can set the parimaters for anything (Ex. WOT and keep logging for 5 secs passed when WOT is let off). We have had a lot of luck with AEM, especailly for race cars. Our 8 second supra is running an AEM too. Another advantage is that I think the PNP AEM kit would cost less than both the Fast and Big Stuff, which is always a plus :)

I will see if I can get my tuner on here to give some more insight and answer some questions.

Tim

I'm running E-85 right now. I'd be looking for one maybe instead of spending more money to upgrade mt ME-R when I get ready to switch my GN over to E-85.

Tim if you can come up with a kit that is between the MAF set ups and a FAST or DFI unit you could have a real winner there.

The price point will be the deciding factor. These cars are 20 years old and the technology is getting old. The FAST systems are good and I have used them more than the DFI Gen 7 systems.

I would like to see some system that has the flexiblilty of the GM ECUs being used for the LS based motors. I think there is a lot more tuning you could do to a V6 motor on the street than what is currently available.

My 2 cents

Count me in please...

The EMS has sweet features like a warning page, setup the alarm & when exceeded it'll let you know by blinking or turning red. Can't remember for sure... Now the questions. Your talking about making an adapter ? Would this work with distributor/ignition cars ? If so I want 1 badly !!! :eek: I've considered installing an AEM EMS on my car since it's introduction (universal 1) but the wiring/splicing that had 2 b done kept me buying it. The EMS has proven it self with the Supras & Evos. Maybe you could work in conjuntion with Casper's Electronics for the adapter or even a harness. Keep us posted. Thanks.

This could make things simpler:
adapter-gn-104-800.jpg

Thanks John...

Where would the main harness plug into ? the bottom part of that box & out 2 the AEM EMS (if made/used with this box) ? Ideas r flowing RRev Tim. Thanks.

Very interested !!

I'm in :) & like stated before, can u make it work with distributors ? Thanks. :cool:

Tim if you can come up with a kit that is between the MAF set ups and a FAST or DFI unit you could have a real winner there.

The price point will be the deciding factor. These cars are 20 years old and the technology is getting old. The FAST systems are good and I have used them more than the DFI Gen 7 systems.

I would like to see some system that has the flexiblilty of the GM ECUs being used for the LS based motors. I think there is a lot more tuning you could do to a V6 motor on the street than what is currently available.

My 2 cents

You mean like the Translator Pro? :)

My 2 cents
You mean like the Translator Pro? :)

Aren't we talking here about the AEM EMS which is a stand alone ? Isn't the Translator Pro a piggyback ? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Aren't we talking here about the AEM EMS which is a stand alone ? Isn't the Translator Pro a piggyback ? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.

True, I was just answering Reggie's question regarding something "in the middle".

But yes, the pro is a piggy back system, but in many ways mimics the functionality of the big end systems, including complete WBO2 tracking, and Speed Density, etc.

Sorry for the thread jacking.

Not being bias

I tuned an AEM on a supra and had issues.
I had problems idling the car and after calling repeatedly to AEM tech support they finally agreed to take a look at the unit.
The unit was sent back and the communications card and the IAC driver were both bad.
What I like: Very configurable. Shiny bells and whistles.
What I dislike: Software orginaziation and problimatic hardware. And the inability to overlay the datalogged graphs on the tables. The data logger software and the ecu software have to opened sepratly.

Goto AEMpower.com and read on their message board about all the problems.

You'll likly see FAST or BIG stuff as the clear chioce.

A friend of mine from Philly has an AEM set up oh nis 93 Mustang. He purchased it new from Mustang Renegade racer Bob Kurgan. It is a very nice set up with some very nice software. It seems a little bit easier to navigate through it compared to the XFI. They marketed it as a "plug and play" set up and it was anything but. The biggest kicker was he paid almost $2k for it and had to buy stand alone drivers for low impedence injectors. That right there turned me off.
Why would anyone spend a lot of money for a stand alone system and then have to get drivers additionally? Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

I currently hve a Fast B2B ECU on my gn with the speed pro harness. I box will do ind cylinder fuel and timing control, nitrous control and closed loop fuel tracking. being that it's the older box it will not do closed loop boost control nor will it lock-up the convertor.

I have helped tunes a few honda's with a AEM it's nice but the software is a tad bit to get adjusted to over a FAST software.

The XFI unit can do multiple tunes using a thumb wheel device. also has closed loop boost control,egr control, traction control,nitrous control, the new new software can even do flex fuel. along with internal dataloging i believe.

Yes it apears that they do almost the same thing. I dont think Gen 7 has boost control though. I do know the AEM will have more inputs and outputs and has great internal data logging features that does not require the push of a button (or laptop to be hooked to ECU), you can set the parimaters for anything (Ex. WOT and keep logging for 5 secs passed when WOT is let off). We have had a lot of luck with AEM, especailly for race cars. Our 8 second supra is running an AEM too. Another advantage is that I think the PNP AEM kit would cost less than both the Fast and Big Stuff, which is always a plus :)

I will see if I can get my tuner on here to give some more insight and answer some questions.

Tim

Gen 7 does all that and more. Can datalog 20 frames per sec for 21 min with no push of a button. Boost control, Trac control etc.