WOT STUMBLE SOLVED!!!

holmesboy

Hi all, thanks for all the suggestions on solving my stumble/pig rich running problems. After reading, thinking and pondering, and realizing that since my stumble started almost exactly at 2500 RPM, WOT or easing up to that, it had to be ignition related. So after new coil and module didn't solve the problem I knew it had to be power. So I jumpered wire M (third wire from left) on the CCCI harness directly to the alternator stud, took it for a spin and oh was I in for a suprise! Tires immediately broke loose and almost spun a donut turning out of my neighborhood. So much power and very very smooth! It should be included in the sticky instructions for 86/87 CCCI upgrade that it absolutely has to be hotwired because the 84/85 engine harness has a resistor that won't supply enought power for the 86/87 CCCI. Anyone who having stumble/bogging problems should try this when searching for a solution. I'll probably wire in a relay tomorrow so the CCCI isn't always hot (even though I don't think it'll be a big problem). Thanks Again!

Hi all, thanks for all the suggestions on solving my stumble/pig rich running problems. After reading, thinking and pondering, and realizing that since my stumble started almost exactly at 2500 RPM, WOT or easing up to that, it had to be ignition related. So after new coil and module didn't solve the problem I knew it had to be power. So I jumpered wire M (third wire from left) on the CCCI harness directly to the alternator stud, took it for a spin and oh was I in for a suprise! Tires immediately broke loose and almost spun a donut turning out of my neighborhood. So much power and very very smooth! It should be included in the sticky instructions for 86/87 CCCI upgrade that it absolutely has to be hotwired because the 84/85 engine harness has a resistor that won't supply enought power for the 86/87 CCCI. Anyone who having stumble/bogging problems should try this when searching for a solution. I'll probably wire in a relay tomorrow so the CCCI isn't always hot (even though I don't think it'll be a big problem). Thanks Again!
what year is you's where is the ccci harness is that the one the scan master hooks to any size wire

My gn is an 84 but I have the CCCI upgraded to the 86/87. The harness is in the engine bay and is screwed into the ignition module (one 1/4 inch screw in the center).

Interesting. How did you find out there is a resistor?

How much voltage was at pin m before the hot wire?

RL

The resistor info is stated in the install instructions pdf for the caspers hotwire kit on their site I didnt actually verify the voltage before (will do today when I install the relay) but on another diagram that I saw from caspers it said 8.0 volts was all that is supplied on that wire.,

made a difference in my car too. just ran a relay and hotwired it with a good ground. better throttle response.

Yep. Its definitely a night and day difference for my setup. Gonna turn up the boost a bit more!

My gn is an 84 but I have the CCCI upgraded to the 86/87. The harness is in the engine bay and is screwed into the ignition module (one 1/4 inch screw in the center).
once i remove the screw will it just come off the module ??

Here's a few diagrams for anyone who wants to try this. The first is simplified version to test to see the difference it will make before adding a relay (although I don't see it being a problem to leave without the relay unless the CCCI will be damaged by always having this wire on. Other please chime in on this).

ccciHOTWIRE_TEST.jpg

The second diagram is with the relay so the power from the alt to the CCCI will be off when the key is off. I used 12 gauge wiring and soldered all connections. Oh, the relay is a standard relay from any auto parts store, <$7. Hope this helps!
ccciHOTWIRE_PERMANENT.jpg

So your was running rich? Mine is doing the same thing but its a 87 GN and its running lean but drives ok then starts to stumble and you can get past it by giving it gas but its there after driving it a little pulled the pump thinking it was that .

so is this also a fix for '87 model? I will check the voltage on mine to see where it is.

Yes was really rich. If the voltage at pin m is less that alt output then you will most likely benefit from this

It's under the coil packs where the spark plug wires go to. There is a big connector with a bolt that is 1/4" I believe. The wire he is talking about is third from the left labeled M

You also want to reground the ccci along with the hot wire. You want the shortest ground possible

Sent from my SCH-I100 using Turbo Buick