WOT Shift point

onebadsix

I have CZ valve body , a GN governor , I used a 8-32 x 1/4 set screw , pinned the spring as recomended , the set screw weighed 8 grains , whitch amounts to 1/2 gram . whats the best guess on a WOT shift point , Im shooting for right around 5400
thanks

You bring a valid question but without knowing exact line pressure(input) vs govenor(output pressure against shift valves) I sincerely doubt anyone can give you(or anyone) an exact number.
"Trimming" a govenor for automatic upshifts has almost become a lost art and is THE only reasoning behind the use of a "full manual" valve body.
Very few people(vehicle owners) have the paitence needed to test/drain & re-calibrate/re-test & evaluate/ re-adjust again..ad nausem.
Because of all the different variables involved, it has ALWAYS been a "adjust to needs" and hope we get it close.
I will tell you the truth that if you ever find a transmission tech "willing" to work with you to do this, you have located the rarest of animals walking the earth.
Dialing in "anything" close/adaquate is a major time savings(experience of grey hair, lol) to get things absolutely "perfect" on a moving target of power production always changing brings on frustration to the guy getting oiled(technician) they spend a bunch of their valuable time(life) to make a customer happy and (some, but not all) get pissy when not exactly 100% withen 50 rpm of the desired goal.
A good/great trans man is the one who can and will do what YOU want if allowed to do so, I suspect it to be the very same with engine tuners execpt engine guy's don't have to re-open a hot and dripping computer while you are standing over their shoulder asking,..."Is it done yet???"
Good luck,

Kevin.

Some experience @ this

The small weight on a stock BRF governor is 14.7 grams. I might suggest that you trim it down to 14.2 (with screw). As stated--higher boost among other thing can and does affect shift points. Take the weight off the top (as far away from pivot point as possible) Best of luck.

Can you show a pic of exactly where you are referring to? I installed a metal set screw to pin the spring so now I need to grind off some material to offset the set screw weight. Just want to do it right the first time.

paul

No pics

Can you show a pic of exactly where you are referring to? I installed a metal set screw to pin the spring so now I need to grind off some material to offset the set screw weight. Just want to do it right the first time.

paul

Take the weight off the top (near screw)--as far away from pivot point (roll pin ) as possible.

I have CZ valve body , a GN governor , I used a 8-32 x 1/4 set screw , pinned the spring as recomended , the set screw weighed 8 grains , whitch amounts to 1/2 gram . whats the best guess on a WOT shift point , Im shooting for right around 5400
thanks

Id try it before removing weight. The 0 pump vig will have a fairly high slip % when you crank it up. Id expect higher than 5400 if your running the engine up over 600hp. With a PTC 9.5" you would have about 5200-5300.

Whatever you do don't add any weight, unless you remove same amt mat'l as you added for the set screw. I just went the nylon screw route and still drilled tiny holes in the weight. Not sure what type of loctite to use with the nylon screw? Nothing seems to be drying up and locking it. Any ideas?

paul

Thanks for the info , what Bison came up with is what i will try , From what i understand with CZ valve body and the GN governor if i did nothing the trans would shift around 5700 to 6000 (just guessing ) so by adding some wieght (the set screw) it should bring it down to 5200 to 5400. that i would be happy with , if not i will add or remove weight with a diffrent length set screw, what i was after was a starting point , and Bison gave me that

Thanks