Wont go in PARK n e more

DJay

GN Novice.
Anyone know what causes this? Seems like the linkage is loose on the trans, but iuno how to fix it, or wut normally goes wrong.

Won't go into Park, thus not allowing me to turn key off, thus not allowing me to pull the key out, meaning if i park somewhere i must put it in Neutral, put on the E Brake and lock the door with the key in the ignition! SCARY!

PLS help! :)

TIA

There is an adjustment arm on the tranny where the linkage connects too.You can adjust the cable on the arm(I think its a 13mm nut).

What you do is put the car park(after you loosen the nut so you can go into park)then move the arm by hand so the tranny is in park.Take all the slack out the cable and tighten the nut.

If it still wont go into park you are getting jamed up with the other arm you will se when you get under there that controls the part on the collum.This arm come up by where the stering arm goes under the hood make sure it not tied up preventing the rest of it from going into park.

Clear as mud I know , I suck @ typing what im trying to say.:D

shifting into park

I had the same problem. In my case it was the sleeve on the cable down at the transmission end. It let go from the retainer on the bracket and when you moved the shifter the outer sleeve moved with the cable but the cable wouldn't move far enough to engage the park position.
New cable was the answer.
Peter

Yes new cable in in your future. You can always grab the column where it goes into the dash and turn it ccw as you try to get it intopark . That should get it in so that you can remove the key..

Originally posted by FlyinGN
Yes new cable in in your future. You can always grab the column where it goes into the dash and turn it ccw as you try to get it intopark . That should get it in so that you can remove the key..

I'd suspect the cable as well. I had to turn the collar by hand for about a week while waiting on my new cable.

well seems the C clip that holds the end of the cable and the rubber grommet lookin thingy came off. while the end of the cable DOES look worn, when i put a new C clip on it; the problem went away.

Guess ill drive it til it goes .... Thx again fer yer help!