Wiring Question

Audiowizard

CARE FOR A SMOKE ANYONE?
Staff member
Is the Earthquake sub a dual 4 ohm or 2 ohm voice coil, depending on what your amp can handle (stable 4 or 2 ohm) You can wire it parallel for a 2 or 4 ohm or you can run it in series which is taking the positive to the positive of on voice coil and from the sam voice coil, come out negative jumper to the positive of the other voice back on the negative side of the same voice coil to the amplifier negative to create a 4 or 8 ohm load. Less impedence more power, more impedence less power but cleaner.

Thanks guys,

Sorry,Ive been off the computer since I asked the question.Yeah,The Earthquake is a dual 4ohm .If I run it series it will be 8ohm?Parallel will be 2ohm?

The amp is a series VII Olympus,I think it is stable in 2 ohms,Am I correct in my thinking?

Also I need to clean up the sound,I am getting too much bss to the mids and too much music from the subs,I am in need of some kind of processor any Idea's?The way I have the Olympus wired Using A and B inputs for Bridged to subs the crossover seems to be useless

Thanks,
JW

Originally posted by Badd Azz TTA

The Earthquake is a dual 4ohm .If I run it series it will be 8ohm?Parallel will be 2ohm?

The amp is a series VII Olympus,I think it is stable in 2 ohms,Am I correct in my thinking?

Also I need to clean up the sound,I am getting too much bss to the mids and too much music from the subs,I am in need of some kind of processor any Idea's?

Yes, series is 8 ohm and parallel is 2 ohm.

When you say its stable in 2 ohm, is that in bridged mono or stereo configuration? if it is stable in 2 ohm mono then you can bridge it to your sub with the vouice coil in parallel (2 ohm).

If you are getting vocals out of your sub, it is crossed over too high. I personally recomend nothing over 100 hertz on the bottom end.

You need to run your head unit flat ( treble 0, bass 0 ) and go with a parametric EQ or a good pre-amp. If you start jacking the bass up on your head unit, it will distort your top end sound, especially when increasing volume.

If your cross over is not working in the bridged mode, get a crossover unit or an EQ with built in cross over.

Originally posted by Audiowizard

When you say its stable in 2 ohm, is that in bridged mono or stereo configuration?

Owner's manual doesn't state anything about it other than below

I'm not sure.It says in the owners manual:

Continuous output power all channels driven into two ohms 20Hz-20KHz -180 watts per channel.

So I think it probably is ???

What would be a good crossover/EQ/ or processor to go with?
I know Audio Control used to be good..

Thanks again
JW

BaddAzz, those old HiFonics amps are about as good as it gets when it comes to true power and sound quality. Whatever you do, hang on to that amp.

I think the Olympus was 110 x 4 of very under rated power. It is stable to 2 ohms where power is increased to 220 x 4.

Ya, they are the best. I have 4 series VII in the TTA and 2 in the GN. Bought all of them new in 89' and all are still working perfect 13 years later.

stereo subs!?!?

The passenger compartment of a car is too small to handle stereo bass reproduction with any measure of good results.

Run them mono-bridged, and parallel the speakers together, most good amps will handle and 2-ohm nominal load. The higher priced ones are sometimes rated for 1-ohm load, but be sure to check the manufacturer's specs FIRST because you don't want to cook the amp.