Wiring gurus, little help please!!

Red87GN

Ok dudes,

Still working on my old basket case Red GN. I have all of the wiring out from under dash and from under hood. My question is, the bundle of wires going down driver's side toward rear of car, Is the fuel pump signal wire in this bundle. When I started on this car the park lights had to be on for fuel pump to come on. Would it just be best to get fuel pump signal at ECM and take it to a relay at rear of car(homemade hotwire kit) to activate pump? The battery is already in the trunk. Thanks excuse my ignorance. John

P.S. This car will not beat me, It will run and soon.;)

Yeah.Run a good 8 or 10m gauge wire from the battery to the pump and use the computer signal to trig the relay[trunk mount it].
You could even put a hidden "switch" to interupt the signal to the relay as a security measure.

Pump wire??

The pump power wire is the hard wire that runs to the pump plug at the rear of the car. [As I recall, it's a single strand copper w/ a brownish cover. It is the main power in the original pump system.
There was no "trigger" wire...
I use this wire to trigger a 30amp relay that I mount either under the rear bumper, or in the trunk.. customer's choice.

As RK said, run a 10 ga wire from the back of the alt, thru a fuse at/near the alt, to the relay, then to the pump.;) ;)

Originally posted by Red87GN
Ok dudes,

When I started on this car the park lights had to be on for fuel pump to come on. John

John,

Could it be an anti-theft feature someone has wired into the fuel pump system??

HellOnWheels

Re: Re: Wiring gurus, little help please!!

Originally posted by HellOnWheels

Could it be an anti-theft feature someone has wired into the fuel pump system??

HellOnWheels

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Wiring issues!!!!

As far as the car being set up with a security feature, I don't think so. The guy that started this must have been way in over his head, because the wiring in the whole car is a mess. Right now I'm in the process of rewiring the entire car. I have the dash out and am working behind there right now. I'm beginning to wonder if I might be in over my head!!!! John

More wiring questions????

The pump power wire is the hard wire that runs to the pump plug at the rear of the car. [As I recall, it's a single strand copper w/ a brownish cover. It is the main power in the original pump system.

Does this brown wire run along the driver's side beside the seat? Also This car already has the A/C and heat removed, Can I remove most of the B/S behind the dash. Right now I would like to hook up only what would be necessary to start car and go from there. I have a complete under dash and under hood, harness from a wrecked car. Also there is a white panel just above the fuse panel that looks to be a distibution point for 12VDC. Most of these wires were not hooked up when I started. There is a big orange wire that turns and goes toward the back of the car(beside driver seat and it was unterminated about middle ways of the door jam. Anybody have a diagram of this distribution point? Sorry so long. Thanks again for all the help, This sight is what makes working on these cars worth it.

Re: More wiring questions????

Originally posted by Red87GN
There is a big orange wire that turns and goes toward the back of the car(beside driver seat and it was unterminated about middle ways of the door jam. Anybody have a diagram of this distribution point? Sorry so long. Thanks again for all the help, This sight is what makes working on these cars worth it.

Large orange or red is typically batt + constant, and pink/black is keyed positive in GM cars.

All the diagrams I have are on gnttype.org in the tech section

The white plastic junction block is for all the power accessories like power seats,windows,etc and the orange power wire is fused to the circuit breaker on the fuse block. Your heat and AC has a jumper wire harness that plugs into the main harness on the dash. You can leave this harness off without any problems. I would get your car running before you start cutting any unused wiring off this harness. I have never looked closely but you should have one main harness running to the back of the car with the power wire for the fuel pump along with the rear lights and fuel gauge sending unit. It runs down the left side rocker,through the left wheelhouse area and out the back. Any trunk lamp/release wiring will have its own seperate wiring.

Eric Fisher

Hot wire fuel pump.

How important is the main power wire to fuel pump. I guess I mean can I run it from the battery(which is in the trunk) or do I need to run it from the alternator. I will still use the original brown wire to fuel pump as "the trigger". Since my battery was in the trunk I was hoping to just get power close by.

Also, whats the best way to ground the battery in the trunk. Can I just take the negative side to good clean place on the frame or does it need to go all the way to the motor. What I thought about doing, putting a good strap from the motor to the frame and then from the frame to the batt. negative? Wouldn't this work? Thanks John

:rolleyes: :confused:

Finally, it does run!!!

Thanks to everyone. I finally fired up the car tonight. I'll be test driving it soon. Right now I'm waiting on an ESC module from John DiCarlo. John:D ;) :D

if you need schematics, let me know exactly what you're looking for. i'll email them to you, and they're a lot clearer than gnttype.org.

Thanks

Trbojo,
Thanks for the offer, I have a chassis service manual that has really helped a lot, although it doesn't have the complete schematics, it is broke down by systems. .
John