Windows 8 and PowerLogger problems "COM1" Error help help

is this a new installation on the laptop?

windows 8 or 8.1 ?

can you open the device manager and see if the powerlogger is listed?

Bob

Is any one running windows 8.1?
it worked before but it was always temperamental but now it doesn't work at all.
HELP

i'm not a real windoze expert when it comes to the new versions. there is a thread on here with details for getting 8 and 8.1 to work.

are you saying that it worked on that laptop for a while, but not now? If the key is on, and you don't see any reference to the powerlogger in the device manager (either in the ports section, or in the USB section) then perhaps the PL is messed up.

do you have another laptop to try it on?

Bob

i'm not a real windoze expert when it comes to the new versions. there is a thread on here with details for getting 8 and 8.1 to work.

are you saying that it worked on that laptop for a while, but not now? If the key is on, and you don't see any reference to the powerlogger in the device manager (either in the ports section, or in the USB section) then perhaps the PL is messed up.

do you have another laptop to try it on?

Bob
On the windows 8 version it worked but when it felt like it, sometimes it connected right away and other times i would have to try to connect 6 or 7 times before it connected
Now (Windows 8.1 on the same laptop) it doesn't connect at all. Don't know if its because of 8.1 or not.

I don't have another laptop but i do have another car with another PL i'll try to connect to that one and let you know how it goes.

I upgraded from 8. to 8.1 and had the same issue. I'll post a link in a bit on what you need to do.

Last edited:
The computer detects the PL at the USB port
I then manually installed the drivers for the PL
i then tried it again and it still doesn't work.
not a happy camper right about now.

I don't have another laptop but i do have another car with another PL i'll try to connect to that one and let you know how it goes.

TurboBob is right, you should find someone local with another laptop that you can borrow, or ask Paul if you can use his laptop the next time your out in New Jersey because he should already have the PL drivers installed on his, this way you will immediately know if the problem is with your powerlogger unit, or your laptop itself. I believe you have a track rental coming up in a few days correct? What a time for this to happen...

probably, but I'm not an expert with the new windows stuff.

I can switch your PL over to unsigned drivers, but I have to have it here to do that.

Bob

probably, but I'm not an expert with the new windows stuff.

I can switch your PL over to unsigned drivers, but I have to have it here to do that.

Bob
I am resetting my laptop if that doesn't work I am converting it to windows 7
If that doesn't work ill send it out to you.

Win 8 = total PITA!
@ the shop, we are on 7, even w/ a new unit.
The first 8 was returned to the seller..Loaded what we needed, and it slowed down so far that it was minutes booting. Called the mfgr... That was a joke!
Called the MS hotline... Another JOKE.
So far, 7 is working OK. [EFILIVE].
I'm in the market for a new LT, to use w/ the Holley Dom on the t Type..Pretty sure I'll not try an 8.

Side question

Can I partition my hard drive and use the new partition to load Windows 7 and make computer a dual boot ?

For the above, it is technically possible to dual boot Windows 7 and 8.1, but it is a pain due to different partition types between Windows 7 (MBR) and Windows 8/8.1 (GPT). Windows 7 resists going on to GPT partition types normally. I think your best bet is your plan to go to Windows 7. It just deal with unsigned drivers easier.