window adjustment?

shmed

Ok since i had the car painted an all new weatherstripping put in i can't get the windows to roll up all the way
yes i have petes book an his window parts bag, i also put in new motors.

would spraying the rubbers with some sort of wd 40? to help the glass slide till it gets moulded to the windows help/?

Any tips appreciated
thanks
Dave

What brand of weatherstripping did you use?

If you didn't use OEM factory GM weather strips, you may have issues.

If you want to try to lube and protect the weatherstripping, use vaseline. This helps new and old and should be done when you feel its necessary. Mikey likes it, try it!!

Last I heard (Dennis Kirban), Peter Serio had retired. In his day though he was the best at what he did. He adjusted my windows at the Nats one year and they worked like new. No wind noise at all! He literally wrote the book, and that is my car he is working on on the cover of said book.

I believe we are talking about different guys named Pete, the one im speaking did stop working at Kirbans but i think he still does gn work and window adjustments. Im not positive but i think his last name is Hoffman. Not 100 percent though.

I believe we are talking about different guys named Pete, the one im speaking did stop working at Kirbans but i think he still does gn work and window adjustments. Im not positive but i think his last name is Hoffman. Not 100 percent though.
It is Pete Hoffman and he still works on windows! He redid mine at Richard Clarks' with new weatherstripping and motors and, WOW, what a difference. I used aftermarket weatherstrip for the doors, and OEM weatherstrip on the windows. OEM was expensive but worth it! Thanks Pete!!! He's on the board phoff, I think.

I remember reading on here about how to adjust the windows.

So far no one has explained how to or what bolts to turn.

It can’t be that difficult.

I’d like to give it a shot.

D

First of all you have to take all the door panels off. Then you need the window kit from Kirbans. It is also helpful to to have the window repair book also from Kirbans. You may also need new weather stripping? Thats as far as i got,i played with them for a couple hours but i just couldn't get them perfect. You can adjust up and down,front and back, side to side. Everytime i messed with one the other would change,very tedious but im not patient at all so it is not a job for me, soon as figure out how to in touch with Pete im gonna set up an appointment with him as he isnt to far from me.

Warning! The following is very graphic! Read at your own risk!...so after replacing the weatherstripping and spending hours adjusting the passenger window with little success, I took a razorblade knife and cut some rubber out of the center of the weather strip in the area where the window was slowing down/stopping. Kind of like gutting a fish I guess. The problem is that the rubber is too dense. I then filled the gap with The Right Stuff and put some Vaseline on the rubber to help the window slide up. It seems to have worked, and the surgery is not very obvious. Has anybody tried the weatherstrip from Steele Rubber Products? I have Metra.

Ok since i had the car painted an all new weatherstripping put in i can't get the windows to roll up all the way
yes i have petes book an his window parts bag, i also put in new motors.

would spraying the rubbers with some sort of wd 40? to help the glass slide till it gets moulded to the windows help/?

Any tips appreciated
thanks
Dave

I am having the same issue. If the door is open and I roll up the window, the window fits the weatherstrip OK. If the door is closed and I roll up the window, the window stops about 1/2" from the top in the back and leaves a small gap.

Years ago when I got my car painted, the door weatherstrip had to "break in". I had to slam the doors to get them to close. A few weeks later, the doors closed much easier. I am wondering if the window weatherstrip has to "break in".

So without the window kit from Kirbans there are no factory adjustments?

D

Evil,
Yes there are factory adjustments.

In my case, I have to have the window tilted inward to close the gap in the upper rear corner.

I can move the window out so it will go up all the way with the door closed but then I have a gap between the glass and weatherstrip in the upper rear corner.

Don't forget about the fine tuning adjustments on the moldings themselves...Mike

No, on a ttop car the outer moldings have in and out adjustments, I'm sure the hardtop cars have the same adjustments on the same on their outer moldings,..I'd have to snap a couple pics...Mike