Winaldl Interface Cable

John, since you got this to work is it worth it?
I am waiting for the new turbolink to come out so in the meantime I thought I could use this program.

I Have tried but could not get it to communicate.

Please let me know.

paul

Just thought I'd chime in....

I played around with this for the last 2 days. First I made the interface cable as shown in the schematic, but it did not work. It only displayed raw data in the first box. I was using A and E from the ALDL and the 12 volts from the serial port pin 4.

I then moved the 12 volt source to ALDL terminal H and it worked. All the raw data was coming through and the sensor display was showing about the right values. The dash function was alittle flakey though. I started to drive home and about 10 minutes later I got no more data updates. I don't know if this was caused by the laptop or the program or too long a cable or bad connections at the ALDL or ?. I will check into it further.

I am also going to make the interface adapter with a true +5V to RS232 transmitter chip (MAX233) to see if this improves things.

Meister

ahha!!

Well guys, I was able to get the circuit working, I had the transistor wired in bacwards. Now I can't seem to figure out what data is correct and what might be flaky.
Does anyone know which data is correct and what should be disregarded? The dash readout is not accurate at all. What should the MAF g/# be at idle or cruise?
How do I interpret all the rest of the data? Thanks

paul

Unless you just want to make the cable and have a peak data storage program, it's not that great. You can save the peaks but otherwise, it's only a laptop based ScanMaster IMO. Could be good for diagnosing other cars though if you ever have the need.

I got an email from Jonas Bylund regarding the two errors in the 7148 configuration. MAT is backwards. Try heating the MAT. The temps drop. Retard isn't converted by the 45/255 formula.

He's got other pressing issues and won't be correcting these problems anytime soon. Too bad. Those are two critical data fields. You can do the conversion manually from the raw data.

Terry

I made one interface using the Maxim chip and one using the transistor, the worked the same. I would like to see some minor changes to the program like in DASH mode the TPS should read in actual volts instead of percent and maybe a selector to choose which values are shown in DASH mode, but altogether not a bad program, and the price is right.

I'm still using Diacom as my main scan tool, but as I get more familar with Winaldl, who knows??

Oh yeah, I'm jamming the wires into the ALDL to make the connections, but I've got a line on a commercial made plug that plugs right on to the ALDL for about $30. Or I'll just get some 0.110" spade lugs to make it a little better.